By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for john fletcher 1

Here is a list of all the postings john fletcher 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 12 volt motor speed controller
19/07/2021 17:46:02

Back again, many thanks to all who responded to my request regarding the 12 volt motor. controller. Unfortunately my friend had already bought the bits including the transformer. I think can persuade him to put his bits to one side and buy a package some thing like Dave and Stuart suggest. I made my own way back in Sept. 1990 following an article in ME, all the electronic components came from a discarded washing machine control board from the tip, when it really was recycling. Thank you Mike for pointing out Mikes workshop Youtube very good and ingenious.

19/07/2021 11:12:24

I'm helping a friend to power his mill table and I'll be doing the wiring. he has a small window up/down motor, and bought a 12v-40v 10a pwm dc motor speed controller dimmer voltage from ebay. He would like a fast return push button as fitted to Bridgeport mills. Can any one inform me where I should fit/ solder wires for the fast return push button, or is it actually possible on these tiny controller boards where all the components are cramped up together. John

Thread: Mobility scooter spares
18/07/2021 17:27:13

Before the virus shut down I was a helper at the stroke club, one of the members said he had been looking into buying mobility scooter and told me the local price was close on £3000, which I thought was a lot of money.. At the next meeting the same man told me he had talking to his daughter in Leeds on the phone, and she could buy the same model for close on £2000. Both thought there was some wrong, but did check with the brochures pictures. Later, he went to the original dealer and told him he would not be buying from him as he could buy a scooter from Leeds for £2000, the local deal said I'll match it. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. If any one knows of a disable person with a fault on their scooter they should contact REMAP first, as they can often help out. REMAP groups are dotted all over UK and social services will know if your area has a group. John

Thread: Upvc front door
11/07/2021 11:23:02

Not engineering, but I thought other readers might like to know of our experience. Recently our Upvc front door locking mechanism system failed. I removed the lock etc with the help of my wife and dismantled the lock case. In it I found a very small, poorly made brass cam which was worn away. I went to the large factory where it was originally made hoping to buy a replacement. On enquiring about a replacement lock, we were told we change our lock supplier from time to time and the one you require is no longer available. During the conversation it was implied they changed the the locks so that customers have to buy another complete door £375.(I could be wrong) I have at hand several Iron mongers type catalogues and found a locking system £75. A friend suggested ebay, had a look there and bought the exact lock £16 delivered. We fitted the new lock within a hour.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Gearbox Taper Pin
28/06/2021 09:49:41

David H I've sent you a PM. John

Thread: dirty clutch trick
25/06/2021 16:06:00

I had a ML7 and made a clutch for it, by following an article in MEW, it worked fine, no trouble at all, I think I still have the article and details. In the early days of combined harvesters some had their main power application by a slipping belt. In about 1960 a belt for combined harvesters £37 I remember the grimace on the farmers face when told it was £37 and no grant either. Some building site dumper had the same idea ,.a simple single cylinder diesel engine, a belt, back axle and two pulleys. John

Thread: Connect a Dewhurst Switch to Single Phase Motor
20/06/2021 20:52:46

Since you have quoted meter readings I'm assuming your motor hasn't got a capacitor attached.

You need four terminals to enable the motor to reverse. As you say you have ohm meter reading Black and Red wires of 3.9 Ohms this will be your run winding. the Yellow and Blue 14.6 Ohms will be the start winding. you will have discard the present arrangement and create an extra terminal. A 2BA nut and bolt will be Ok for the extra terminal. Dewhurst, connect Black to 5 and Red to 7 then Yellow to 2 and Blue to 6.As others have said you need a proper motor starter with RED and GREEN push buttons which will give you No Volt protection. The contacts on the Dewhurst switches are weak, they arc and soon burn away. To gain access to the terminal strip you might have to remove the motor end shield, some motor have the screws inside and you can't get to them with end shield on. Make marks using a scriber to give you guidance when re assembling the motor other wise it can be tricky. Careful you go and let us know how you get on. John

Thread: GPO test meter fault
14/06/2021 18:47:00

Hello Mick, if you go to "Vintage Radio" there several ex GPO employees who will most likely have a circuit diagram and I'm sure, have the answer to your meter problem. Also there are some AVO meter experts there as well should anyone need it.. John .

Thread: Harrison M250 single phase to 3 phase power supply
08/06/2021 19:39:50

With the power OFF, remove the terminal box cover and you will see six terminals, three will be linked together (STAR mode), they are the three motor windings one end (1) and will be marked as follows if an older motor A1,B1.

and C1. If its a more modern one they will be marked V1,U,1 and W1instead. The other three terminals are where the original 415 volt would have been.

They all need to be reconnected as follows for an old motor, A1 to C2, A2 to B1 and B2 to C 1.

For the more modern motor V1 to U2, U1 to W2 and W1 to V2.

You can buy a Huanyang 2.2 KW inverter as my friends have done, from ebay for around £90 and the program on u tube. Should you need a copy I can send you one. John

Thread: Cyclemaster engine rubber bushings
06/06/2021 17:17:26

I'm a member of the "British Two Stroke club" and I think there is section for Cycle Masters and similar MEAN machines. I'm sure you would be most welcome and be able to share information with others. If you send me a PM I will send you details of BTS. John

Thread: Inexpensive inverter mig welders
06/06/2021 12:02:45

I can recommend a book called 'Farm Welding', full of sound advice and lots of pictures. John

Thread: Scalped on my doorstep - it left an unpleasant taste in my mouth.
06/06/2021 10:49:19

Competent person is clearly defined on the HSE's website - LINK - it's actually one of the better phrases, because experience is often enough.. I wish it was, I've had a look and it looks to be deliberately vague, so that no one is actually responsible, lots of get outs. John

06/06/2021 09:20:45

Same as Garry Wooding. We used to have REMAP group in my area and I did the electrical work until one had to be a "competent person", part 'P', and a PAT tester, I gave in. I have C&G FTC in Elect Installation Work and same Elect Tec 5. I can not find out from all the authorities how one becomes a competent person after more than 70 years in the trade. Strange old World. John

Thread: Questions about Wickes Wet 'n' Dry Vacuum and Blower
24/05/2021 17:44:02

I think you are correct, that capacitor is for interference suppression and the motor will work just as well if you remove it. As you say your nice friendly neighbours might object if your cause TVI from the sparking motor brushes. You can buy replacement from Farnell, ESR, Rapid and several other firms. Regarding test the capacitor, don't bother as it should be tested at mains working voltage and they are not expensive. John

Thread: New member in the Scottish Borders
21/05/2021 14:01:28

Hello Jonny Rock, I think our club has two lathe from deceased member workshops, which, which I'm told they wish to dispose of. Could be wrong. If you send me a PM with an email address, I'll forward you details. John

Thread: Ancestry.com
30/04/2021 09:52:55

When looking into our family past some 25/30 years ago I used to visit the local Mormon Church who have vast copies of the 10 year censors. I am no way connected with the Mormon Church but I found them extremely helpful. John

Thread: Black5 with a flat tyre!
20/04/2021 11:21:30

When I worked on DMU in 1960's flat tyres were common, the driver had failed to wind off the trailing unit hand brake, they a had a hand brake at both ends. I don't recall it happening on locos. John

Thread: Horizontal Bandsaw Problems - -Advice Please.
14/04/2021 12:43:29

I notice several readers have mentioned broken saw blades. Years ago there was an article in ME on repairing band saw blades and I have been following the instruction with success. Following the instructions, I made a little jig to enable me to chamfer the broken ends using a belt sander. Using another jig the two ends are then clamped together with a very small gap and are Silver soldered together. I use wire type Silver solder. John

Thread: Lathe drive motor
11/04/2021 14:11:35

Its a repulsion type motor, which has an armature, similar ,but not the same as a DC motor has. It's old, it will have some cotton insulation which will be fragile by now, so dry it out in the airing cupboard . On some motors the brushes are shorted together when running and often there is a mark position for reverse running. John

Thread: Electric Smart Meters
02/04/2021 10:56:18

If the government were really interested in saving energy they would alter the clock twice as we did in WW11. The Europeans do it without any problems. John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate