By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Haine

Here is a list of all the postings John Haine has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 30 Int to Morse No. 2 adaptor
16/06/2023 06:31:59

They have the same problem as much such tooling, the socket is bored into an extension on the end of the Int30 arbor so they eat into the available height under the mill spindle - especially a problem with a boring head. Really one just needs a sleeve where the MT2 is bored into the body of the Int30 taper.

Does your boring head have an interchangeable arbor (many do)? If so then the best option would be to replace the MT2 arbor. Alternatively, make or buy a soft Int30 arbor and bore the MT2 socket.

It's also worth searching AliExpress for an adapter - I managed to find Int30 finger collets which are great when I need maximum available height.

Thread: Quick change tooling for the mill?
14/06/2023 17:38:41

My little CNC mill came with EZChange chucks - I think I have one BT30 holder and 2 or 3 ER16 collet chucks that fit it. Frankly it's a pain, quite hard to change from one chuck to the other in the holder without taking the latter out of the mill which defeats the object! Didn't someone describe a quick-change milling tool system that won the Stevenson Trophy a year or two back?

Thread: Shaded-pole motors: failure mechanisms?
14/06/2023 17:14:51

The squirrel cage rotor is a shorted turn already, another shorted turn in the winding would surely reduce the rotor current and torque. Also it would work to reduce the flux in the airgap - induction motors are essentially transformers and transformers try to arrange the primary and secondary currents so that the core flux is zero.

However the current in the shorted turn itself is likely to rapidly make it into an open circuit turn!

Depending on the design of the rotor the torque may not be very high and it may tolerate being stalled. I used to have a tape deck where the feed and takeup spools were driven by shaded pole motors designed as "torque motors" - the feed spool would actually be driving the motor backwards! Also had series resistors in the windings to "control" the speed, which you can do with this sort of motor as long as you don't care about efficiency. Does your fan have some species of speed control?

Thread: New Chester Craftsman or Colchester Master Mk1.5
12/06/2023 16:38:08

"You can do small work on a big lathe but not big work on a small lathe". I doubt the electricity cost difference would be much compared with the cost of workshop heating. If in good condition go for the Colchester.

Thread: Toyota Hydrogen
11/06/2023 13:34:32
Posted by Ady1 on 11/06/2023 11:00:36:

.....They even go on about rubber tyre pollution, the dust from road tyres for goodness sake

I also notice that eco "protesters" only do dumb stuff like annoying the general public and throwing paint at an oil companies head office, it's like someone pays them to stay away from the real polluting places like Felixstowe which is basically importing 100 million tons of coal a year

According to several sources tyre wear produces several times (some say up to 1000x) more particulates than tailpipes. I guess the tyre fairy must go about clearing up after your car? And according to official government statistics, NO coal was imported through Felixstowe in 2021. It is in fact a container port IIRC.

11/06/2023 08:02:04

**LINK**

Thread: mini lathe dial accuracy
09/06/2023 06:54:48

Result! Good work.

08/06/2023 20:42:35

Was the travel of the indicator exactly parallel to the axes? .025 error in 1mm travel would be caused by 1.4 degrees out of parallel I think. If the error is real and the lathe new you should seek a refund.

Thread: How did early Automatic gear boxes on cars work?
08/06/2023 19:25:13

I had a Fiat500 old model with constant mesh, at least on some of the gears. I learned to double declutch quite quickly after a while found that I was depressing the clutch less and less so decided to stop using it except when starting off as an experiment, it worked very well. But it was a horrible car, shed all the teeth on the sprocket driving the camshaft after not many miles, apparently a standard fault.

Thread: mini lathe dial accuracy
08/06/2023 19:15:59

No, it is not normal, but since it applies to both axes it may be your indicator. These are not precision devices. better would be to use a feeler gauge ideally calibrated against a micrometer.

Thread: Yet another Arduino clock thread!
08/06/2023 13:00:29

Update. The filter material greatly reduces the effect though doesn't eliminate it entirely. Since the clock will eventually be mounted in a case with a glass door, I have decided to stick with the filter and the current sensors and use an infra-red absorbing film on the glass to filter out the wavelength of ambient light that the opto device uses. I have found a 3M product that looks ideal and should be easy to apply. So the filter on the sensor only passes the IR, and ambient IR will be greatly reduced by the film. Should work well enough I hope, we will see.

Thread: Posting photos
08/06/2023 12:29:39

I have posted several photos direct from my phone by first uploading to one of my albums then following the usual procedure, so it does work.

Thread: Collector's Gem
08/06/2023 10:47:03

Just a small suggestion that posting complete phone numbers and email addresses on an open forum is inadvisable?

Thread: Myford VMB
07/06/2023 20:07:26

If you look at the wiring diagrams in the manual I just sent you can see the standard motor is capacitor start. You could arrange a switch to swap the connections to the run or start winding to reverse the motor. You can't vary the single phase motor speed.

I have to confess that I rather butchered my mill to fit a used 3-phase 0.75hp Crompton motor. The VMB standard speed changing arrangement is horrible, so I took the stepped intermediate pulley off and fitted it to the new motor shaft (needed a bush to reduce the bore) as it is pretty well the same sizes as the spindle pulley - mounted "upside down" of course. Then use only a single link belt between motor and spindle. 3-phase transforms the machine, much smoother and quieter and much less need to shift the belt. Reverse comes for free with an inverter. The main use case for reverse for me is tapping - set the inverter to a few Hz, bring the tap down to the work, start the spindle, keeping slight pressure on the tap as it cuts and with my finger on the reverse button. When deep enough just reverse the spindle to back the tap out. Haven't broken a tap yet, even once when I forgot to reduce the speed!

07/06/2023 16:53:36

I have a scanned copy somewhere I could send you. PM me your email address.

Thread: A Leeuwenhoek microscope project
06/06/2023 18:20:42

I guess the other point to remember is that there are thousands of pendulum suspension springs flexing 86400 times a day for decades clamped between square cornered chops, and how often do they actually fail?

Thread: How did these work theory or practice?
06/06/2023 08:48:56

**LINK**

**LINK**

When I did school chemistry we spent an inordinate amount of time on these. Wikipedia gives a good explanation of both.

Thread: Keyless car theft has never been so easy
04/06/2023 15:45:35

A friend I shared a flat with at university was mortified one morning to discover that the Krooklock had been nicked from his Austin A40...worth more than the car presumably.

Thread: Warco WM-16 Motor Speed Fluctuation.
03/06/2023 20:04:13

One common factor throughout the time I've been a member here is the poor reliability of these DC motor speed controllers. They are badly designed and made down to a price. I think personally it would be best to junk the controller and replace it with a genuine KB Electronics one or similar - or perhaps replace the motor with one of these nice brushless sewing machine motors and controllers.

Thread: A Leeuwenhoek microscope project
03/06/2023 11:25:58

Right. Matthys suggests making one-piece suspension springs starting with PB strip, say 3mm thick rather like SK's bar, and milling down a region to a suitable thickness. His method is to clamp the strip to a vertical surface and use the side of the milling cutter to remove a portion to form one side of the spring; then turn the half-finished piece over and re-clamp, fill the void with plaster of Paris, and machine the other side. Feels risky to me...

But there's also an interesting graph in his book that shows that it is only the very top of a spring that bends under tension, so springs don't need to be nearly as long as is often thought. That's why my new spring is only 6mm long. I was thinking that maybe one could make one-piece springs using SK's method with a ball-nose mill from each side.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate