By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robin Graham

Here is a list of all the postings Robin Graham has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help in understanding a bistable multivibrator circuit sought
19/02/2023 22:56:22

I'm trying to get to grips with simple electronics for workshop projects. I came across this design for for a bistable multivibrator:

bistable.jpg

The accompanying text says:

"Switching between the two states is achieved by applying a single trigger pulse which in turn will cause the “ON” transistor to turn “OFF” and the “OFF” transistor to turn “ON” on the negative half of the trigger pulse. The circuit will switch sequentially by applying a pulse to each base in turn and this is achieved from a single input trigger pulse using a [sic] biased diodes as a steering circuit."

I don't understand what the author means by 'a steering circuit' and no explanation is given.

If anyone can explain more clearly how this circuit works I'd be grateful. The diagram comes from an electronics tutorial which I have found generally useful.

Robin.

PS - I should have said that I know this cat can be skinned other ways, but my enquiry is specifically about understanding this circuit.

PPS  - also, I don't understand what the writer means by 'the negative half of the trigger pulse'. It looks pretty negative throughout to me. I'm aware that the falling side of a pulse can be steeper than the rising side, so might get through the 1nF capacitors more easily, but I'm just guessing.

Edited By Robin Graham on 19/02/2023 22:59:23

Edited By Robin Graham on 19/02/2023 23:15:04

Edited By Robin Graham on 19/02/2023 23:23:26

Thread: How close have you got to a Darwin Award?
12/02/2023 01:37:34

As I get older and more aware of my mortality I sometimes muse on things which might have done for me in early in life. Quite a few, but I think one of the stupidest thing I ever did was (at the age of nine maybe) was to get one of those plastic caps for toy pistols, stick it in on the end of a nail, mount in an empty .303 cartridge case, fill with gunpowder from bangers, crimp the top of of the case about the nail, rest the assembly on the top of a wall and hit the top of the nail with a hammer. The bang, my Dad told me in the course of a difficult interview afterwards, was reported to the police . Miracle was that although there was a crater in the top of the wall and bits of brass embedded elsewhere I was unscathed. I couldn't see what the fuss was about - I was 'doing an experiment'.

Anyone got closer?

Robin.

Thread: Cigarette Papers
08/02/2023 22:50:13
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/02/2023 17:48:43:

I don't smoke either. Like to think when I buy the thinnest papers the shop has, that they think I'm an aficionado stoner, an elderly hippy dismissive of weed and fully prepared to argue the merits of Sour Diesel over Amnesia Block hashish...

Dave

Back in the day when I was working at a University I would sometimes pop into the campus newsagent for a packet of papers. They would always give me the King Size (spliff rolling) variety, Students eh!

Robin.

Thread: Some VERY interesting LED modules
04/02/2023 23:33:13

Robert - apologies for not responding earlier, I have only just got back to this.

I have now made experiments along the lines you suggested. My procedure and results:

- set PSU to 12V in CV mode

- adjust voltage pot on convertor to give 24.5V no load - PSU is indicating 10mA at this point.

- attach load (definitely 3 x 27 ohm 5W resistors in series) and wind down current pot on convertor to give 24.0 V

- attach voltmeter over the central resistor in load - 8.05V as expected. The PSU is supplying 660mA.

- short out one of the other resistors, momentary flicker, but 8.03V across the central resistor.

So that seems good - it's current limiting.

However...

Removing the short then turning the current limit from the PSU right down I find that:

- if I turn it up again straight away (within a couple of seconds) the PSU voltage / current return to 12V / 660mA immediately and all is as before.

- if I leave it for ~15 minutes with the PSU current down to zero, then turn it up to max (3A) the PSU supplies the full 3A. At this point the the voltage from the PSU is about 6.9V and the voltage across a single load resistor is about 7.5V. After approx 70 seconds in this condition the PSU suddenly switches back to 12V and 660mA and the convertor output jumps back to 8.05V per resistor.

Does that give any clue as to what is going on with these modules? I haven't tried connecting to 12V lead acid battery (which was what I'd hoped to do) because I suspect that the convertor would suck up too much startup current and self-destruct, as Les found.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 04/02/2023 23:38:19

Edited By Robin Graham on 05/02/2023 00:02:58

Edited By Robin Graham on 05/02/2023 00:47:30

Thread: Tapping pure aluminium
02/02/2023 22:46:40

Posted by Ramon Wilson on 02/02/2023 08:13:57:

[...]

As a matter of interest what kind of tap wrench are you using - If its the flat bar type and you are doing it free hand it's very easy to wring. Couple that with the material and it can be a disaster waiting to happen. Not knowing your circumstances but if you can support the tap in a drill chuck to keep it aligned it makes a big difference. I also have a small knurled disc about 18 mm dia. with a grub screw though the side for drive to use on small taps - the control is far better.

[...]

I did actually start the thread with the tap held in a drill press chuck which is what I normally do - then go over to to a flat bar type wrench when the tap seems established to get a better 'feel'. Normally I buy plug taps because they seem OK for both blind and through holes provided they are guided at the start. In this case I had only a taper tap in my box, and that might have been part of the problem - inexperience in using the things. Because my smallest tap wrench didn't grip well I used small drill chuck held in my hand - which was a mistake, too heavy to give good control and feel. I'll make a knurled wheel as you suggest. Though Taptites may the practical answer in this case I'll plod on with tapping out of interest. With paraffin! I'll also make a guide, easy enough to do.

I was surprised to see how expensive pet ether is these days - I have a supply left over from my working days when it was sloshed about pretty liberally

Regards, Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 02/02/2023 22:49:07

01/02/2023 23:16:30

Posted by Ramon Wilson on 01/02/2023 12:08:09

[...]

Outside any modern, probably very expensive, specific fluid my view on using paraffin as lube on ali is based on many years at work and at home turning and milling all grades of the stuff.. WD 40 does work but nowhere as well as paraffin (kerosene) If WD40 is used to improve surface finish on lathe or mill then the fumes created can soon lead to quite unpleasant respiratory issues and I've definitely been there!.

Meths is alcohol - not a lube at all but okay for cleaning the part after of course but then acetone is so much better.

Best - Tug

Edited By Ramon Wilson on 01/02/2023 12:09:12

Thanks Tug. I'm awaiting a set of M2.5 taps to replace the the one I broke and shall have a go with paraffin. Your suggestion took me down memory lane - I don't think I've bought paraffin since I was ten, when I converted my dad's garden weed sprayer into a flamethrower. It worked well, but he wasn't pleased when he found out. Back then you just took a empty pop bottle to the ironmonger and bought by the pint. It was an enticing pink colour - I remember passing a group of 'street bullies' with a bottle - 'giz a swig'. I relinquished my bottle, stopped long enough to see the chieftan take a pull, then ran for my life.

To return to the point - it seems that it's still available so I shall buy some.

On cleaning, petroleum ether (a light petroleum fraction) is even better than acetone for degreasing - the 40-60 degree stuff has a similar volatility to acetone but being composed of non-polar hydrocarbons is generally a more powerful solvent for workshop oily/greasy stuff in my experience.

Robin.

29/01/2023 22:23:49

Thanks to all for replies - forgot to say I'd drilled 2.1mm.

Clearance drilling for a screw / nut would be difficult because of the geometry of the heatsink, otherwise I would have just done that:

heatsink.jpg

My reason for posting this query was, at least partly, that I wanted to understand why I f..f..fouled this up. I find it difficult to say 'well, that didn't work, I'll try something else' without trying to understand why it didn't work.

From replies it sound's like it's doable, but in this material not as straightforward as tapping normally is. That's reassuring. I'll carry on trying, taking heed of advice - I don't like giving up! The heatsinks actually have some M3 tapped holes (not in the right place obv) as supplied, so it's possible.

For practical purposes it sounds like Taptite is the way to go. Didn't know of them, thanks Robert.

Robin

29/01/2023 00:18:49
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 26/01/2023 21:58:17:
Posted by Robin Graham on 26/01/2023 21:38:31:

On the LUXdrive units (they look nice!) I couldn't see a Vout on the site Michael linked to (may have missed something?) but the LUXdrive A011-D-V-700 is available in the UK from Digi-Key for £20.50 and they give a maximum Vout of 48V - so they should be fine for this application.

[…]

Links within Links will get you here: **LINK**

http://www.leddynamics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/A011_FlexBlock_v2.0.pdf

What you seek is declared on the second page thereof.

MichaelG.

[...]

Ah, I did indeed miss something - an all too frequent happening these days. My intention was to give a source for compatible leddynamics drivers in the UK if anyone was interested.

I'm possibly alone in fretting about heatsinks, but in the spirit of publishing ones findings whatever I bought some round jobs from eBay:

heatsinkmounted.jpeg

Perhaps overkill as it runs at about 65 degrees at the centre of the array (without the dreaded thermal paste) but it'll do for my needs.

Now I've got the arrays up and running (It's been journey into new territory for me! ) my mind turns back to Michael's original post - the point of these things is that they give a directed beam without ancillary optics. Which they do!

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 29/01/2023 00:23:41

Thread: Tapping pure aluminium
28/01/2023 22:35:27

I tried to tap some M2.5 x 0.45 holes in an aluminium heatsink today and it didn't go well. I'm assuming that the material is pure (ish?) aluminium because it didn't drill or tap like 'ali' at all - it was horribly gummy. Despite copious wetting with WD40 it just didn't seem right - I didn't get the 'crack' which you normally feel when you reverse the tap half a turn. I managed two threads then had to resort to caustic soda to clean the flutes because the swarf was so solidly impacted. Then broke the tap on the third hole of course.

I'd welcome any advice. I'm wondering if it might go better with a spiral point tap or if I'm being over-ambitious in trying to through tap 8mm at this size. I'm pretty sure I've done it in brass, but a different animal obviously.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 28/01/2023 22:36:05

26/01/2023 21:38:31

On the LUXdrive units (they look nice!) I couldn't see a Vout on the site Michael linked to (may have missed something?) but the LUXdrive A011-D-V-700 is available in the UK from Digi-Key for £20.50 and they give a maximum Vout of 48V - so they should be fine for this application.

On other (cheaper) solutions I, like Noel, ordered a 400W booster (£8.49):

dc_booster.jpg

Reading Les' account I went very carefully! With 10V input and no load I adjusted the output to 12.5V - the module drew ~10mA. Connecting an 81 ohm load (shown) the voltage remained stable and it drew 220mA at the input . Cranking the current pot right down the voltage across the load dropped to 11.5V, so I guess it's working as expected and I'm hopeful that it will be OK to drive the LED array..

A slightly odd thing is that the +ve output appears on the leftmost heatsink in the photo. Something to be aware of if going down this road.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 26/01/2023 21:40:12

Edited By Robin Graham on 26/01/2023 21:42:35

Edited By Robin Graham on 26/01/2023 21:43:21

Edited By Robin Graham on 26/01/2023 21:57:24

Thread: Drill Press Improvemnts
21/01/2023 21:33:33
Posted by Andrew David on 20/01/2023 13:41:04:

Added these 3 improvements to the drill press.

1. Instead of a screw, a toggle latch for the top pulley covers. Much easy to access the pulleys instead of unscrewing and screwing the cover .

2. A collar with thumb screw for depth stop instead of a two nut system that most of the time gets very annoying (at least for me)

3. A ring light that greatly improves visibility- best addendum so far!

HI Andrew, I have the same machine which (like you from your photo I suspect) I use mainly for woodwork. I like your mod to the depth gauge - the two-nut arrangement is a pain.

I quite like the machine in that the spindle runs true enough and there is minimal slop in the quill, but mine 'shakes' quite a lot. I improved things significantly by skimming the drive pulley on the lathe - it was quite badly out of balance- but have yet to get round to doing the intermediate and spindle pulleys. Just wondering if you have any such problem and if so how you have addressed it.

Robin.

17/01/2023 23:37:16
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 17/01/2023 07:49:07:

EUREKA !

THE APPLICATION NOTE :

**LINK**

https://www.mouser.jp/pdfdocs/PLWS3000-Series-Orion-Beam-Forming-Module-Application-Note.pdf

MichaelG.

Edit: __ It’s well-presented, and very informative.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 17/01/2023 07:56:16

Excellent! It is indeed informative. Interestingly, the third-party heatsinks they mention don't meet their claim of a <25mm total depth - for example the MechaTronix unit they show has a height of 68mm. Maybe the ones they designed in-house are much more efficient.

On thermal paste, the application note doesn't actually contradict the datasheet. Looking at the (small print!) footnotes to table 2 the use of pastes, gels and adhesives is not recommended.

I've been looking around for cheap heatsinks which might do the job and came across this offering on eBay:

heatsink.jpg

Diameter - 76mm
Base height - 8mm
Pin height - 59mm
Pin diameter - 2mm
154 pins.

The seller doesn't give the thermal resistance and hasn't yet responded to my enquiry, but it may be that there is someone out there who can just look at it and say it'll be fine (or not).

I too grabbed some 240V drivers before the price went up, so thanks from me as well Les.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 17/01/2023 23:39:09

17/01/2023 00:46:31

For me, I think I have power supplies sorted but I'm still unsure about heatsink requirements. One of the things that attracted me to these arrays was the possibility of making low-profile lights - from the data sheet:

"One example of an innovative application of the OrionTM is Plessey’s ability to re-create an
LED version of the AR111, for a track spot, at less than 25mm in depth including LEDs, optics
and a heatsink. Further information can be found in the OrionTM application notes."

It sounds like other contributors to this thread already have heatsinks which are up to the job (possibly bulkier than Plessey suggest), but I haven't, so will have to buy or make them myself. Probably the latter.

I haven't yet found Plessey's application notes, which I had hoped might shed light.

Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 14/01/2023 12:34:37:

[...]

A classic mistake, nnot just with cheap makes, is the gold anodised metal clad power resistors e.g a 25W 25 ohm WH25. It's 25 W so you can put 1 A through it right (P = I squared times R)? Yes, but only if it is on a 23cm square 1mm thick aluminium plate at a 25 degree C ambient. Even at that the resistor will be at over 140 degrees C.

Robert G8RPI.

Robert, that sounds like you have a formula for the heat dissipation from a flat plate of aluminium given (I'm guessing) a point source. I've been making some simple calculations of radiative dissipation because that's all I have in my toolbox. For your putative 23cm square sheet at 140C and ambient 25C I get a dissipation of around 120W, but that's assuming that the whole sheet is at 140 degrees, and ignores convective heat loss. So unrealistic assumptions, but not a crazy result. If you have a formula it would save a lot of head scratching.

It may well be that I'm worrying unduly - Paul's interesting photos (welcome to the forum from me too Paul) don't show a heatsink other than the housing.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 17/01/2023 00:47:08

Edited By Robin Graham on 17/01/2023 01:00:21

Edited By Robin Graham on 17/01/2023 01:02:40

12/01/2023 23:16:34
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 12/01/2023 16:14:26:

I just got my 25 degree one and it is very bright. I expected this as they are spotlight replacements.
The "turn-on" voltage on mine is 34-35V (1mA @ 35.5V) .
Heatsink is easy
Maximum operating temperature is 90 deg C. and the power is 31W @ 0.7A. The heatsink requiement is 90 - ambient temperature /31. So for a consertaive 35 deg. ambient it is (90-35) / 31 = 1.77 deg / W.
Which is quite big. An example:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heatsinks/1898280

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks for the heatsink calculation Robert - I thought it would be more complicated than that!.

Can you - or anyone else - rationalise this from the datasheet:

"Do not expose the module to liquids such as adhesives or thermal paste. No thermal paste
should be used as a TIM between the module and the heatsink
. Do not remove the product
barcode".

My bold/italics. It seems common sense to me to use thermal paste. Am I missing something?

Obviously no one in their right mind would remove the barcode. One shudders to think of the consequences...

Robin.

09/01/2023 22:11:15

PS. I guess the fact that the array didn't blind the camera at that angle shows that the 'optics' work pretty well in directing the beam - the overall illumination comes mostly from reflection from the ceiling, about 6ft above the device.

Does anyone know how to calculate heatsink requirements for continuous running?

Thanks for sharing this discovery Michael - I think I might have to order more if they're still available at this price.

Robin.

09/01/2023 21:46:38
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 09/01/2023 14:26:40:

Right then-cut to the chase-has anybody got them working yet. Being somewhat chicken I have a couple of them on the workbench while I fret over how to power them without killing them.

Doug

This is a 60 degree version running in an otherwise unlit room (white ceiling):

plesseyled_array.jpg

It's pretty bright!

It's running from a lab PSU in CC mode, current clamped at 700mA , voltage was 43.4V at that current.

Not having a suitable heatsink I just perched it on top of a piece of 2.25" Ali bar, fresh from the workshop so at about 10C. I ran it for maybe 2 minutes - the aluminium back of the LED was stone cold after that but the metallised plastic housing was warm.

I'll rig up a thermocouple and get proper measurements anon.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 09/01/2023 22:12:38

Thread: Theoretical Taper due to tailstock height misalignment.
08/01/2023 00:38:28
Posted by John Viggers on 06/01/2023 21:37:41:

Robin, The formula which reignited this conversation, for some reason did not appear on the post. It appeared initially, but later disappeared.

It assumes that tool is centered at the headstock centre, that the error in tailstock height is h, that the radius of the workpiece turned at the headstock is R, and the additional radius turned at the tailstock is r. The same error r would occur whether the tailstock height error is high or low.

So, using basic right angle triangle geometry a^2 + b^2 = c^2 (apologies for the notation. I cannot see how to use superscripts and other mathematical symbols on this forum. Maybe someone can inform me?).......

R^2 + h^2 = (R+r)^2

Solving for r

r = SQRT(h^2 + R^2) - R (thanks to Wolfram Alpha for solving this)

r =

Edited By John Viggers on 06/01/2023 21:56:48

Edited By John Viggers on 06/01/2023 21:58:07

Sorry John, image of Wolfram calculation still not visible (to me at least). But no matter, in the formula I gave in my OP I indicated that that my result was approximate and in a later post gave the order of the approximation. I can't remember, but probably a Taylor expansion on the back of an envelope or summat - sadly I don't have Wolfram or anything like these days.

Anyhow, I think it's sorted (for me at least) - but thanks again for contributing.

Robin.

08/01/2023 00:09:40
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/01/2023 10:12:55:

[...]

Note: The voltage requirements are unusual, but that’s no great problem.

MichaelG.

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 03/01/2023 10:16:02

Never one to turn down a bargain I snapped up four of the 60 degree 4000K for a paltry £8.44 - £12+ apiece at RS!

But ... how do you propose to power them Michael, and what is your plan for heatsinking? I have a bench top power supply which will supply the voltage and limit current for experiments, but something more permanent would be good. At 43ish volts and 700mA they're about 30W so will get hot.

Tangentially, I lit on on an RS press release when looking for datasheets. I was glad to hear from RS COO Mike England that:

We see continued consolidation in the customers and competitors landscape and we are confident we can grow organically and inorganically

Can anyone translate?

Robin

Thread: Theoretical Taper due to tailstock height misalignment.
06/01/2023 00:01:00

I got back to my computer tonight to see a barrage of MEW forum notifications - thought I must have sleepwalked and posted something controversial! Phew, just an old thread which I started.

I think (like many of the questions I have posed on this forum) my opening post was answered in the first few replies, but it's always good to discuss stuff.

Unfortunately I couldn't see John Vigger's Wolfram calculation (which reignited the thread), perhaps because it it's John's first post. I'd be interested though. Anyhow, thanks for your contribution John and welcome to the forum.

I think JasonB's simulations are pretty much definitive and rather more accessible than the raw algebra. In my opening post I did say that that I suspected that conical sections might be involved and the link that Duncan gives tells us that 'A modern view of the unification of the sphere and hyperboloid uses the idea of a conic section as a slice of a quadratic form. ' , which I'm sure clarifies things.

I propose that there should be a prize for the thread that wanders most off topic - if adopted, I'll throw my hat in the ring - from misaligned lathe parts to ATP synthase animations. I love it, the way one thing leads to another.

Robin.

Thread: An elementary electronics question.
01/01/2023 23:33:27
Posted by duncan webster on 01/01/2023 00:22:48:

If you want to drive direct off an Arduino you'll do better with logic level mosfets. They manage with lower drive voltage

Thanks Duncan - more useful info. I got around it by making a two-stage driver, but shall look at these devices.

Robin.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate