By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MikeK

Here is a list of all the postings MikeK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Greenwashing
02/03/2022 21:34:08
Posted by Hopper on 02/03/2022 21:14:25:
Posted by MikeK on 02/03/2022 19:48:47:

Corporations have no incentive to protect the environment. Heads of corporations that *don't* try to maximize profit get fired...happens all the time. They have to be forced to do things via regulations. They're not including a manual as a means to save money.

Under the laws of corporate governance those heads are legally required to make all decisions in the shareholders' best interests -- which legally means maximize profit, maximize profit, or maximize profit.

That was my point.

02/03/2022 19:48:47

Corporations have no incentive to protect the environment. Heads of corporations that *don't* try to maximize profit get fired...happens all the time. They have to be forced to do things via regulations. They're not including a manual as a means to save money.

Thread: Threads that are steel and epoxy
02/03/2022 16:40:30
Posted by Ian P on 02/03/2022 14:55:51:

I'm a bit mystified by this thread. If the OP's arbor is MT2 and its drawbar thread is only slightly skewed then my solution would be to use a tap (same thread and pitch) as the existing thread and manually recut the thread with the tap 'coerced' so its cuts mainly in a direction opposite to the existing skewed thread.

The resulting tapped hole might be a bit sloppy on the drawbar but the drawbar to arbor fixing does not need any great strength.

The suggestions of boring, sleeving or fitting inserts seem out of proportion in relation to the problem.

In any event how does one hold a Morse adapter so that the small end is secure enough to single point bore, yes is possible but is it worth it, (assuming its soft enough to bore)

Ian P

Hi Ian. The arbor is MT3 with 3/8"-16 hole. Coercing the tap would likely break it. Not something I wanted to try. Single pointing the thread is too late now, as the threaded rod is epoxied in place.

I have the JT33 end of the arbor pressed into a drill chuck with a turned bar in it. That will get dialed in with the 4-jaw lathe chuck. The fixed steady will go on the MT3 taper end. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Yeah, may be a time-waster, but I'm currently unemployed. Also, I'm cheap. Still could be a learning experience, though.

Mike

Thread: At last : Some intelligent engineering to mitigate a climate problem
02/03/2022 13:58:42

I'm skeptical of all such magical solutions. Magical as in, "Let's just put solar panels over the canal!". Financial and environmental costs are often naively understated. How will it change the environment? What happens to birds and other animals that use that water? Does having a shade over the canal produce some other unanticipated/undesired consequences? Will it rust easily by being over water?

I'd rather humans stop living in the DESERT and drastically reshaping it to suit them. All of that water used to empty out into Mexico's Sea of Cortez with environmental consequences of its own.

Thread: Hi from Naples italy
02/03/2022 13:36:50

Ciao Chris. Benvenuto!

Thread: Threads that are steel and epoxy
02/03/2022 13:33:49
Posted by Hopper on 02/03/2022 01:58:39:
Posted by MikeK on 01/03/2022 13:40:02:

Since Loctite was mentioned...Is there any reason to prefer Loctite over, say, JB Weld (yes, I have plenty left) for securing the oversize bush/plug/insert?

Yes JB Weld should be ok in that application. It would only have to stop the insert from screwing out when you undid the draw bar, so no great load on it. And it probably bonds in the same region of strength as Loctite for practical purposes.

In the old days before we had such luxuries, we just put a ring of centre punch marks around the join between the insert and housing, thus "upsetting" the thread and stopping it from screwing out. But today's adhesives are probably more reliable.

You can use treacle as well. In fact I think that is all some of the lower grades of Loctite are. They are sweet to the taste. If you ever worked in a sugar mill (the main industry where I now live) you would find that every nut and bolt on the sugar "liquor" pipework had to be cut off with an oxytorch. Sticky stuff that sugar.

Good to know!

Mike

01/03/2022 13:40:02

Since Loctite was mentioned...Is there any reason to prefer Loctite over, say, JB Weld (yes, I have plenty left) for securing the oversize bush/plug/insert?

01/03/2022 13:27:22

I hadn't thought of the tap wanting to follow the softer material, or bits breaking off and jamming the tap. I'll bore it out. I do have some M12 threaded bar, which should do the trick. Thanks gents!

Mike

01/03/2022 00:29:38

Hi Duncan. Yeah, I got a replacement. Just hate to trash the bad one if I can get a second arbor out of it.

28/02/2022 23:52:14

So I have a spare drill chuck arbor. The first one the vendor sent had the drawbar hole (3/8"-16) threaded off-axis...Not a lot, but enough that I couldn't use the drawbar in the mill.

Not wanting to just trash the bad arbor I epoxied (JB Weld) in a piece of threaded rod, thinking I would cut new threads properly this time. I'm about to cut the new threads, but it got me to thinking...The threads are going to be part steel and part epoxy, being cut across the old threads. Will this still hold up? Should I have bored out to a larger size to fit a steel plug (or larger threaded rod) that would assure the threads would be entirely in steel?

Mike

Thread: Hand Hacksaw
27/02/2022 15:43:01

This thread prompts a question: Should I de-tension hacksaw frames for storage?

Mike

Thread: Is there ever a time to let politics come into the forum
27/02/2022 02:00:06

I suspect due to the nature of online forums (anonymous, not face-to-face) that it is extremely difficult to have civil discussion about heated topics. Having an in-person argument about an emotional topic is difficult enough for many people.

While very little offends me, I think we have to keep in mind that this is a *model engineering* forum. Should every forum host discussions on every topic? (The answer is no.) If one wanted to have a political discussion...aren't there dedicated forums for that elsewhere online? And I'm sure visiting those would be enlightening about the feasibility of civil discussion on emotional topics.

I thought political discussions were what bar (pub) fights are for. laughlaugh

Mike

Thread: Mini Lathe Chuck Adapter
26/02/2022 00:04:32

Nice one, Nick. And I like that 4-jaw...I need something like that for my own mini-lathe, as the standard 4" 4-jaw is pretty heavy with the required backplate.

Thread: Hand Hacksaw
25/02/2022 21:54:00

Do you *only* want the underlever style? I have the Starrett K153 hacksaw, which I like, but has the adjustment on top. ...After a little search it appears Starrett no longer makes this style, that's a shame...I would have bought one or two more as it was a reasonable cost at the time.

Thread: ZAY2045M-ZX45 Mill Vice Chip Tray
25/02/2022 20:00:07

Looks good, Chris. This is something I still have to do for my mini-mill.

Thread: A Great Machinist
25/02/2022 02:11:04

Nice to have a lathe big enough to turn an entire diff housing!

Thread: hi from Belfast ...
24/02/2022 23:17:57
Posted by BASS 666 on 24/02/2022 23:07:10:
Posted by MikeK on 24/02/2022 22:56:13:

Forgot to say...Slainte!

never heard of that restaurant mate sorry ...

Hehe, sorry. Restaurant is "Tog's". "Slainte" was just my wishes...it means "health" in Gaelic.

24/02/2022 22:56:13

Forgot to say...Slainte!

Thread: I want chips
24/02/2022 22:44:30
Posted by Clive Foster on 24/02/2022 21:40:40:

Clamping an extra piece of thinnish steel above a conventional flat tool gives much the same chip breaker effect as a ground in step.

Clive

This is a good idea. I'll have to try it.  And it sounds just like the chip breaker of a hand (wood) plane.

Edited By MikeK on 24/02/2022 22:47:02

Thread: hi from Belfast ...
24/02/2022 22:39:51

Posted by BASS 666 on 24/02/2022 21:33:15:

hi Mike .. do you know the name of the restaurant ?

Tog's. Possibly Tog's Ice?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate