By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MikeK

Here is a list of all the postings MikeK has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chuck backplate from steel weldment?
15/03/2022 22:44:26

Thanks, guys!

15/03/2022 21:03:27

Hi Emgee,

I assumed that 1/4" steel wasn't thick enough, given that the cast iron back plate for sale is 5/8" thick with another 1/8" for the chuck register.

Mike

15/03/2022 20:41:44

The $45 price for a cast iron chuck backplate to my door has me wondering if I would be fine welding up a couple pieces of 1/4" scrap mild steel and then stress relieving it in the oven for an hour or so. This will be for mounting my 3" mini-lathe chuck to my 4" rotary table. Any reason not to do this?

Mike

Thread: Converting brick outhouse to (very small) workshop...
14/03/2022 23:06:25

My basement workshop is 3m x 1.4m and has plenty of room for my 7x14 mini-lathe, mini-mill, and a drawer unit next to the lathe. It'll be even better when I build a new stand for the mill to include multiple drawers instead of the current single shelf. Some tasks get done outside, of course, but like Andrew said...better than nothing!

Thread: FAULTY DRILL BITS !
14/03/2022 18:28:14

I have several sets of cheap Chinese bits that cut poorly until I properly sharpened them. I have a set of HSS bits that I bought decades ago, made in West Germany (remember that?!), that cut really well. Does the package mention material and Country of Origin?

Mike

Thread: Over 70 Driving Licence Renewal
14/03/2022 15:35:35
Posted by Bob Unitt 1 on 14/03/2022 14:37:58:

I wonder what the legal position is ? Could you sue them for preventing you driving due to their own failures ?

Only if driving were a legal right.

Thread: Dykem Layout Blue Remover
13/03/2022 21:38:29
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/03/2022 15:44:31:

I've run out of White Spirit and WD40. I wouldn't expect them to remove Dykem

Out of curiosity I tried WD-40 and it does not remove Dykem.

Mike

13/03/2022 18:16:30
Posted by Tim Stevens on 13/03/2022 16:59:32:

Anyone living in, or visiting France, might find it useful to know that their burning alcohol is made from rubbish brandy

Useful...And humorous!

13/03/2022 14:05:26

I should point out...While I do use isopropyl alcohol, acetone will remove Dykem more quickly. I just don't like the smell of acetone. I have both. Acetone is pretty good at removing stickiness from labels and such, where isopropyl alcohol isn't so good. And acetone is also known as "nail polish remover". The store where I buy it has it as 100% acetone, without the nail/skin conditioners. (Interesting fact: Your body actually makes acetone in small quantities.) Acetone will also cause temporary skin cooling...If you use it outside when it's bitterly cold and get it on your fingers you'll not want to do that again. There's probably potential there for nerve damage if done too much. It may be a trigger for those who get Raynaud's syndrome.

13/03/2022 13:37:20
Posted by BB12 on 13/03/2022 13:10:32:

Looks like Mike's tried & tested suggestion of isopropyl alcohol will be my best solution.
A quick search indicates 500ml for around £5 - £6 including post & packing.

Does that mean you can't buy isopropyl alcohol at the local pharmacy where you live?

Here in the US I've only seen as high as 91% at the pharmacy. I think 70% is becoming more typical. If you do any electronics soldering, then get the 99% isopropyl as it cleans soldering flux better (less water).

13/03/2022 12:56:17

I can confirm that isopropyl alcohol does work; it's what I use. Acetone also works. Both of which are safer than brake cleaner...which will also work, but is nasty stuff.

Thread: Mini mill power feed clutch
13/03/2022 02:45:11

Nevermind. I got ideas from this thread:

**LINK**

12/03/2022 22:38:54

Hi guys,

I'm trying to understand how this power feed clutch works so that I can add one to my own power feed that has no clutch. The clutch itself has no power and is just activated with the rotation of the knob. The right side of the clutch contains a pin in the bore that engages a slot in the table's X feedscrew. The left side of the clutch has a D-shaped bore that engages the motor shaft. How do the two halves engage? Would there be a yoke involved?

Mike

Thread: Bought Magnetic lamp
09/03/2022 18:55:32

It's a bit unfair to expect anyone to match a huge corporation like Amazon. I wish Amazon would disappear altogether.

Thread: Lever operated tailstock attachment Myford
08/03/2022 20:31:49
Posted by Ian Montana on 08/03/2022 20:11:16:

Has anyone got one fitted to their machine

Id appreciate a picture

Thanks

Ian

Is this it here?...

**LINK**

Thread: Astronomy/cosmology
05/03/2022 00:25:46

I've been watching a bunch of cosmology videos recently. I like the idea that the creation of a black hole in one universe is the big bang in an offspring universe.

Thread: Diminishing chocolate bar
04/03/2022 12:31:56
Posted by Ady1 on 04/03/2022 11:05:44:

Cadbury stuff is a writeoff now, US based companies never could do chocolate although Mars isn't bad

I'm in America and I don't know why anyone would buy a Hershey chocolate bar...They're disgusting.

Thread: Buy a book or download free
04/03/2022 12:28:12
Posted by Hopper on 04/03/2022 08:19:24:

I think it is perhaps a result of software many used booksellers use to automatically list and price their stock on the net, using "bots" that crawl the net and find existing prices and then up them a little bit. After some time of this, prices artificially creep up. And maybe some unscrupulous dealers deliberately list books at silly prices so the bots automatically list their competitors books at high prices and then they can drop theirs and give someone " a bargain".

That's my thinking too. I also think there are people who are listing books available at the library, which they then steal when someone wants to buy it from them.

Thread: (Another) Mini Lathe Speed Controller Problem
04/03/2022 02:11:33

Wow, I didn't think sewing machine motors were that big. I have a typical sewing machine and the motor is quite small.

Thread: Buy a book or download free
03/03/2022 15:39:40

Is it a used, out-of-print, book? If so, I would download it and not worry about it. While I prefer to have the physical book in hand, the prices for many used books has gotten insane. I've seen some books list for over $1000USD.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate