By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DMB

Here is a list of all the postings DMB has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Scams
23/05/2023 08:42:19

Hi,

My point is, leave banking apps on home devices - not on any device that leaves the house. If you must have your latest bank balance to hand when out, look it up at home, write it on a blank piece of paper as a number with no other identifying info.

Be aware that someone could try to shoulder surf to get your pin no then steal your device and let themselves in. Apparently this is one of the latest tricks.

I travel by 'old codgers card' and pay in shops by card, never use phone. Friends say I'm obsessed with security, yeah, of course! I consider that everyone should be.

John

22/05/2023 22:38:26

Hi folks

Interesting prog on BBC1 tonight. Not the first time it's been on. 8pm, about eavesdropping on fraudsters trying to clear out bank accounts.

No.1,dont use banking apps away from your own router, I.e., out doors, cafes etc.

No.2 only have banking apps on home devices like puter or tablet which you keep at home.

No.3 dont have banking apps on a mobile phone. Fraudsters are watching to see the pin no input to mob then stop at nothing to steal the phone. They then have phone and pin to get access.

John

Thread: Tapping head
22/05/2023 22:27:43

Boiler Bri,

Google manual for Archer no.2 tap head. Multiple answers and ref to YouTube vids

John

Thread: Classified Spam
15/05/2023 22:48:46

Maybe not spam but scam. If you asked for a loan, they would want your bank details!

Watch out!!

John

Thread: ME4717 Miscollation
15/05/2023 22:42:37

Paper handling machinery does go very fast but unfortunately faster = bigger ballsup! I was shown a machine with lots of pipes and suckers to fold and assemble Invoices and statements then fold a flat envelope around them and seal it. That was about 50 years ago, when they had a typing pool to retype the buggered Invs and Statements. That machine was fast but probably slow compared with today's machinery.

John

Thread: BSW threads on fobco drill
15/05/2023 22:29:21

Daniel,

Fobco not the only ones using a mixed bag of threads. Myford lathes use 2BA and BSF and the leadscrew is probably something else but I dont know what.

John

Thread: homemade nickel plating with coins
15/05/2023 22:23:58

Not only all new "Bronze" coins are steel and plated, so are some of the "silver" ones.These being the so called nickel type.

John

Thread: 5mm square hole
11/05/2023 17:39:34

I dont think that I would mess about with it, especially if only a few needed. Enquire about price/feasibility from small spark erosion business, locally. Suppose I might have a go as a challenge to see how good a job that I could make of it. Thinking in terms of initial 5mm drilled hole right through, to guide a specially made silver steel 'punch', 5mm dia. to fit the hole, followed by very gradually increasing square corners.Mild steel being relatively soft, if the tool teeth increased in size very slowly, perhaps it could be squeezed into the work by bench vice?? Not certain how much force required.

John

Thread: Meridienne Exhibitions Show Dates
11/05/2023 17:18:47

The Model Engineer Exhibition?

Nah! Last one went ages ago, like the last down Broad Gauge train from Paddington.

Thread: David George's Retracting Toolholder
09/05/2023 19:15:57

There certainly have been many excellent articles over the years in MEW and still they keep coming. Keep it up all, it's what makes the mag so interesting. I have taken it since no. 1 and really enjoy it. I often read articles in MEW and ME, in which I have no special interest but I still learn something new to me, methods, processes and different methods of achieving the same result.

John

09/05/2023 19:09:09

Yes from me

John

Thread: Dore-Westbury
06/05/2023 16:18:35

I have had a DW for sometime but still not figured out the purpose of the flat faced circular knob is for. It's on the front of the vertical spindle casting, below the belt drive. Can anyone please advise?

John

Thread: Back plate dimensions and tolerance
06/05/2023 16:11:23

Years ago, I bought a brand new S -7 and 3 jaw chuck. I struggled to screw the chuck on for the first 2/ 3 ? years when it gradually got easier. I think my experience bears out what circlip said above about tolerances easing with use, when a minute amount of wear takes place. I now use lubricant on the threads to reduce further wear and to make it easier to remove chucks. Never use gummy jollop like 3 in 1. I use that purely for oily surfacing rust free steel stock.

John

Thread: Old pillar drill
27/04/2023 23:11:46

I have an old 'Union' bench drill with a ratchet self - feed. Most of them that have survived, allegedly have bent spindles but how that could happen baffles me. Mine seems to be OK. I have often thought of converting it for square - on tapping.

27/04/2023 23:06:12

Hi Nick,

There was an article in ME, I think possibly in the 1970s on adding a spring device like what sits above the flywheel in your photos.

John

Thread: Worth it?
27/04/2023 22:54:16

Gearbox can be a retro-fit but it doesn't stop there - new and different shape gear cover on the LH end, new shorter leadscrew and possibly a new banjo, but I'm not sure about that. There could be other incidentals. All in all, a very expensive 'upgrade'. I think that if I was buying that lathe, I would spend a bit more than just any old 1- ph motor and get a 3ph one + vfd, as in a Newton -Tesla. Had mine for years and wouldn't be without. It's my belief that, over the decades, Myfords have gathered a sort of cult following, reflected in the now high prices often fetched. S7 is nicest, I think. I do think that all the alterations necessary to get a gearbox running or to make it cut accurate Metric threads, seem like after thoughts to a very basic original design.

John

Thread: Poor quality drill bits
27/04/2023 16:27:18

Larry,

That reads like a certain attitude towards outsiders, maybe a parallel with having 2 currencies. When I was dealing with it years ago, there was one currency for Chinese people which I believe was illegal to 'export' and another for visitors to China. These being Reminby-Yen, which colleagues nick-named sweet wrappers because of their odd shape - long, narrow, quite unlike any other paper currencies that I handled many years ago.

John

Thread: Road bridge weight limits.
23/04/2023 22:14:52

Real road ballsup in Brighton. Council contractors remaking Western Rd into a fancy kerbless area and buses westbound only. 600+ eastbound bus journeys per day, diverted up Montpelier and into Upper North st then down Regent Hill and continue east along western Rd. The council suspended the 7.5t weight limit in Upper North st to allow this diversion. 600+ buses a day at around 11t+ empty but could have 70 passengers average 12stone (1.5cwt) = another 5+ tons! Result 2 busted water mains and one gad main. So, close road fro Repairs and buses continue North to 7 dials roundabout and work their way around more narrow back streets to top of Regent Hill. I believe this crazy arrangement will still be in operation til sometime next year. In the meantime the road workers appear to be acting like it's a casual hobby. Over 16 tons on a previously 7.5t limit road?

Thread: Major flaw in the world of engineering
21/04/2023 14:43:27

Paul,

I started off with an ancient and worn flatbed Drummond. I later went to a local toolshop for hand tools and unexpectedly discovered they were a Myford stockist with a brand new ML Super 7 for sale. Room over shop had piles of boxes full of Myford spares. I bought lathe, stand, 4" 3 jaw self centering chuck which was ready threaded to screw on mandrel nose and 6" 4 jaw independent + blank backplate which needed to be screwed on to the mandrel and machined to fit the rear of the chuck. Work out the dia. of the pitch circle of bolt holes in the chuck and set a sharp cornered tool to scratch that dia. on the back plate. Trf backplate to drilling machine and drill four generous clearance holes on the marked pcd. Jobbie done! I frequently went back to that shop for more bits. The shopkeeper was an older woman and what she didn't know about engineering wasn't worth knowing. I only knew Lathework from schooldays and reading books as listed above. School didn't have a mill, I am completely self taught by reading books and mags and using the mill that I later bought. No question is daft, we have all had to learn.

Just ask and those with knowledge and experience will help.

Please put something in you forum profile so we have an idea where you are. Someone nearby could be willing to visit you and give further help and advice.

Good luck!

John

Thread: Yet another scam
16/04/2023 21:47:39

Michael,

I have received a very similar email. Subject : Quick favour! ( usual old hurry up and dont think about what you're doing)

You can bet that if you replied, yes, it would lead to some yarn about his card being stolen/lost/blocked/maxedout or similar and could he borrow the use of yours? Yeah, and I arrived on the banana boat.

I actually had 2 emails as above about an hour apart one evening sometime ago. One was supposedly from Colin somebody, (cant remember Surname) @btinternet.com

The other was identical except Colin had been reduced to c. etc

Alarm bells jangled louder than Big Ben, as I dont know anyone by that name so why would I do a favour for a complete stranger?

John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate