By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for WALLACE

Here is a list of all the postings WALLACE has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Inverter Drive
11/05/2014 07:49:35
How about running the original motor with a larger diameter pulley - say 50% ?

Double the speed at vfd running at 'only' 75 hz ?

W.
Thread: Free sources of materials.?
09/05/2014 10:12:35
Found the odd bit of battered steel bar on the road - but it usually turns like toffee !

W.
Thread: Hoover electric motor/Denford Educator
08/05/2014 15:18:02
If it's the same type of motor I have somewhere, then I confess to being a bit of a fan as I've found them quiet running and smooth.

But.....

There was a thread a while back where someone on a Hoover motor had found the rubber insulated internal wiring had dangerously deterorated - it might be worth having a look and replacing if necessary !

W.
Thread: Original maching marks on Myford lathe bed
07/05/2014 14:28:25
All too true Michael - my eye sight's terrible these days !!!

W.
07/05/2014 09:55:28
No one's dared to say it, but adding a bit of random scraping might be a way unscrupulous *astards could add a bit of value to a clapped out machine. ..

'Immaculate condition - original scraping marks still visible' etc ....

W.
Thread: Perfectly ground Twist Drills every time.
06/05/2014 23:24:19
Hi Gray.

Yep, I can see the detents would be lost - after I posted the suggestion, I dug out my unloved grinding jig to have a look....

Is there anyone out there who doesn't have one stuck unused on a shelf somewhere ?? !

But it is shocking quality -and has prompted me to have a look at a Reliance jig to see how that works with maybe possble improvements...(although my long term plan is to go down the 4 facet route using a jig that takes er32 collets on my Union t&c grinder - eventually ! )

W.

W.

06/05/2014 11:37:12
Could not a similar variable offset be achieved with a set of spacers in a similar fashon to the one modified by Rik Shaw a few weeks ago ?

Definitely worth replacing the awful flat steel 'bearing' with something better but spacers might be easier to turn up than the eccentric.

Not sure I've thought through the geometry thoroughly so I could be wrong !!

W.

!
Thread: What is this fourth (threaded) hole in the die stock holder ?
05/05/2014 10:46:19
Hex grub screws are easier to tighten than the flat blade screw drivers variety - and most of the car boot specials I have are usually missing the screws anyway !
Thread: Perfectly ground Twist Drills every time.
04/05/2014 23:19:24
A very interesting thread !

Thank you Gray for starting it off and to everyone else who contributed !!

W.

04/05/2014 14:46:47
A further thought - assuming were going with the direction of grinding at right angles to the cutting edge - would it make any difference if the drill ( or other tool to be sharpened ) is fed into the wheel with the cutting edge leading or trailing ?

W.
Thread: Grain growth in BMS
01/05/2014 21:28:16
Or possibly turn it down so it's evenly undersize along its entire length and nickel plate it ?

W
Thread: Series I Landrover rebuild
29/04/2014 04:07:32
You're not wrong about 'comic presenters'.

I had the misfortune to catch about 5 minutes of 'The Hairy Bikers' so called 'restoration' of Newcomen beam engine a few weeks back.....

Complete and utter rubbish.

W.
Thread: Antique oil can
28/04/2014 21:19:53
Will do - going up on Sunday so I can do one then. It's nothing fancy, just a cone with a knurl at the end to tighten it up if memory serves me right !

W.
28/04/2014 21:00:09
H Chris.

It looks very similar to one I've got - although currently at my Dad's house at the moment so can't confirm ( he uses it to occasionally oil his electric razor ! ).

The spout indeed doesn't move, the oil is released by repeatedly pressing on the thin end of the can at the opposite end. It only works when held near vertical and with thin oil.

W.

Thread: Facemill recommendations
25/04/2014 10:57:32
The Glanze ones are quite tough ! I used mine to machine out stainless steel and it did the job well - they're certainly not rubbish !

W.
Thread: Grinder stone types
25/04/2014 09:50:55
Hi Nick.

Aluminium oxide ( 'grey' ) for HSS and silicon carbide ( 'green') for tungsten carbide.

Arc Euro Trade do a variety of sizes and grades.

I would seriously recomend making some kind of tool rest ( Harold Hall details one on his website ). Off hand grinding is difficult to get the right angles and wastes valuable tool steel in the attempt !

W .'
Thread: Seeking help (cutting 3mm aluminium plate)
28/03/2014 14:03:17
Another idea.

Find a small engeering works with a power guillotine and pay them a visit with your best smile and a crisp ?5 note...it'll take a minute to do and any decent place will do it there and then.

W.
Thread: Rules or Rulers
27/03/2014 22:26:51
I tend to think of a 'ruler' being a wooden thing but a 'steel rule' being ( obviously ! ) steel.

Why this should be so I don't known. And to be honest, even less do I care !
Thread: Seeking help (cutting 3mm aluminium plate)
27/03/2014 21:55:20
I would just clamp a straight edge (a piece of wood would do ) to the ally to use as a guide and use a jigsaw.

Would also cover the section being cut with masking tape to avod scratching the surface.
The problem with cutting using a guillotine is that it does compesss the metal sligtly along the edge so it's no longer dead flat - albeit quick and the cut dead straight .
If you have an orbital sander, that can give a nice finnish to it as well.

W.

Edited By WALLACE on 27/03/2014 22:02:59

Edited By WALLACE on 27/03/2014 22:06:24

Thread: Moving Machines
26/03/2014 17:50:40
Wear steel toe capped boots for a start !!!!!

Scaffold poles as rollers are great - the load will also slide quite readily axially along the rollers as well.

W
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate