By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Hinkley

Here is a list of all the postings John Hinkley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Newbie in France Needs Help
09/09/2011 13:11:04
Trevor,
I see you've yet to get a reply - unless you've been inundated with PMs via your supplied email address. For my part, I live in the west of the Orne department and have found that tooling (milling cutters and the like) are difficult to source locally, at least at a sensible price and, as for materials, I've yet to find anywhere that will supply small amounts of metals at all. I've resigned myself to using what I can get in the local Brico stores (very limited) and the rest I get from the UK from the various suppliers who advertise in MEW. I have, in desperation, had some stuff delivered by airmail, but I normally coincide my deliveries with visits by family and friends and have the heavy gear delivered to them so that they get the hernia and bring it over with them. Actually, I'm off to the UK at the end of the month for a couple of days and hope to have a bandsaw delivered to my son-in-law's for me to bring back to France in our car - saving a whopping 50% or so on what I'd have to pay for one out here! Fingers crossed. I wish you success with your search, if you find a good source, please share it with the rest of us.
John
Thread: Tool Centre Height
05/08/2011 11:11:41
Alternatively, see page 32 of MEW issue 180. It works for me - but then I'm biassed!

John

Thread: Tee-slotted cross-slide query
27/07/2011 08:21:30
Mark,
Thanks for taking the time and trouble to measure it up for me. The measurements you give tie in pretty well with those I anticipated with which I would end up. As I reported in an earlier post, Warco no longer supply spares for their lathe of this series so it does look like I'll have fabricate from scratch, either from solid cast iron or built-up like my first effort in the style of Mike's.
John

23/07/2011 09:21:22
Thanks, again, for all the input.
I like the idea of making it from scratch - I'll investigate the College Engineering lead, (that's pronounced "leed", not "led"!!) although I think I'd have to have it delivered to the UK and get someone without a hernia to bring it over!
The reason for wanting a cross-slide with tee-slots is, well, because they're not there now! In addition, I'm making my own, modified, version of the "Bedair ball-turner", which I will obviously need to mount on the cross-slide. Other tools which attach there also would be easier to mount with tee-slots, for example my rotary table.
My dovetail is 11.3mm deep x 60mm at its widest and the cross-slide itself is 25mm deep, leaving insufficient room for tee-slots. It's not wide enough for longitudinal ones, either, at only 110mm wide.
Yes, I would lose some centre to cross-slide distance, but I could always replace the original if things were that critical.
Anyway, back out to the workshop, I've got swarf to make!
John

21/07/2011 19:03:24
To update:
I sent an email to Warco to which I received a quick response. Unfortunately they no longer supply lathes of this style and have no cross-slide spares - so it looks like I'll have to make on myself or try the USA.

John

21/07/2011 10:10:18
Thanks to all of you. To answer you in order:
Mike
To be honest, I did try to make something similar to your 'sandwich' cross-slide - but the slots were at 90 degrees to those on your's. However, this was before I got the mill and, to be truthful, I made such a dog's breakfast of it, I gave up and used the metal for other things! I'll get better, I hope!

Mark.
It was your advert that prompted me to have another look at the problem. I feel an mail to Warco coming on, though I'm worried about the cost of carriage.

Johns (Bogstandard and Stevenson).
I'm a little concerned that bolting one of these on will reduce the capacity of the machine too much, but is certainly a quick fix and one I'll definitely consider if I can't get a 'proper' replacement.

Thanks again to all,

John
20/07/2011 19:09:29
I have an Asian-manufactured lathe of the 9 x 20 variety, bought locally here in France. Although I'm very pleased with it, it lacks a tee-slotted cross-slide. Having looked at many pictures on various web sites, it appears to be very similar to any number of other lathes of the type. I was wondering if I could perhaps substitute a cross-slide from one of these for the original on my lathe. It shares many similarities to, for example, the Harbor (sic) Freight, Grizzly and Enco lathes sold in the USA as well as the Chester '920' and DB10 models, which are, in turn, similar to the WM series from Warco and the Axminster BV20M. I wonder, if anybody has any of these lathes, would you kindly take the time to give me the dimensions of your cross-slides in order that I can compare them to mine? A picture of my lathe is in my photo album.
John
Thread: MEW 179
12/07/2011 19:41:32
Yes, but if you log in and then go to the digital editions, it's there for your perusal - new viewer et al! Got caught like that before!

John

Thread: Glanze insert replacement
03/07/2011 08:51:13
Thanks. I've found an old woodworking mallet in the bowels of the tool chest which I think will be receiving the attentions of a saw this afternoon then I can use it on the mill drawbar, too, instead of a hammer handle.

John

02/07/2011 13:01:52
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll take a good look at the new tips with a magnifying glass when they arrive and dig out the soft mallet. With the cost of airmail postage what it is, this could working out quite an expensive exercise. That'll teach me to be more careful and double-check everything before switching on!

Regards,
John

02/07/2011 08:48:51
On a recent trip to the UK, I purchased a Glanze parting tool from Chronos Engineering. I experimented with it briefly before using it for a project on a piece of 30mm diameter EN1A. Due to inexperience and/or general mis-handling, I managed to break the insert! I've sent off for a couple of replacements, which should arrive in a few days. While I'm waiting, can anyone answer this question: How do I go about replacing the tip? I tried reversing the broken one, but it was damaged in such a way that it wouldn't (or wasn't meant to) go in that way round. Any tips (pun intended)?

John

Thread: Turbocad 16
26/06/2011 19:25:53
I recently had to produce a 2D drawing in dxf format. My usual drawing program (LibreOffice Draw) doesn't output dxf files, so I downloaded a whole host of freeware titles to do the job - DraftSight, LibreCAD , QCad and FreeCad amongst others. All ran on both Windows and Linux systems, as I needed them to be compatible with both the desktop and laptop computers I have. I found QCad to be the best (for me). LibreCAD is very similar and is alledgedly a whizzed-up version of QCad but has a bizarre set of green icons which I hated, and no operational manual, as yet. DraftSight, by Dassault Systemes, is by far the most comprehensive of the programs I tried, but too complicated for the simple drawing I needed to make. Plus, at my age, the learning curve was just too steep! Like most things in life, you gets what you pays for and what suits one person doesn't necessarily suit another. Look around, try out the freebies and see what suits you and your purpose best.

John

Thread: New Drummond Project
26/06/2011 19:02:26
Can I chuck my two pennyworth in here? Back in the 1970s when I was into trials car building and driving, I borrowed a lathe from a friend and it looked a little like the one pictured in this thread, although smaller. It was driven by a washing machine motor via a vee-belt to a lay shaft, thence via a flat belt to the pulleys on the lathe. This belt was a fan belt from a 1934 Austin Seven. It fitted perfectly - and no annoying/soothing tick! There are many of these fine vehicles still motoring around, so I imagine the belts are fairly easily available and it would be relatively simple to determine the dimensions (through the 750 Motor Club). Could be just what you're looking for?

John

Thread: Digital edition Try me
09/03/2011 15:56:05
Seems to be OK, now. I can access both ME and MEW "looksee" editions. Using windows Vista and Firefox 3.6.15.

John

Thread: Ball Turning
19/01/2011 19:41:03
I did think I might design a variation on the ball-turning theme. Based along the lines of a
boring head. Did a number of drawings before coming to the conclusion I'd be better off following the tried and trusted method. (Why re-invent the wheel? - Again.)
Now, I've just ordered a rotary table and it occurred to me that I could make a support for a removable carbide tip and mount that in one of the tee slots and use the rotating table, mounted horizontally, to form the ball. I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on. Unless someone's already tried it and failed!
John

Thread: MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER 9 COMPATIBILTY WARNING
24/12/2010 19:44:01
Sorry if I appear to be a bit geekish - I'm not - I just don't like to be beaten!  I've fixed it.  I was recently invited to upgrade my version of Adobe flashplayer "to get enhanced viewing pleasure"!  Just downgraded to the older version, and hey presto! I can now read the e-magazine.  Almost as good as getting a Christmas present!

John

24/12/2010 16:47:06
Someone must have sprinkled a little Christmas fairy dust on my laptop 'cos it now displays the whole of the latest issue of MEW with no problems, although it still won't appear on my desktop computer.  At least I can now see all the pages while I'm cooking supper!

John

24/12/2010 09:20:05
I have the same problem as the OP, but using Firefox 3.6.13 running under windows Vista HP.  Strangely, I can access  the first few pages using my laptop and Firefox, again 3.6.13 but that runs Ubuntu 10.10 Linux!  Weird.  No sign of my MEW 172 in the post, but then we have got a couple of centimetres of fresh snow this morning here in Normandy.

Season's Greetings to all,
John

Thread: suggestions for suppliers in Herts.
20/11/2010 19:32:31
Hi, all.  I'm coming over to the UK in early December to visit the family and staying near St. Albans, Herts.  I'm hoping to pick up  some metal at the same time.  Can anyone who knows, or lives in the area, suggest somewhere I can pick up some mild steel.  Specifically, 75mm round (about 50-60mm long), maybe some odd off-cuts, too.  I have terrible difficulty sourcing materials at home in France.
I appreciate that I could order it from somewhere like M-machine metals and have it delivered to where we're staying, but it's such a pain to order such a small amount.  A quick search of the yellow pages revealed a company called Steel2Go, in Luton - they don't have a we site - anybody had any dealings with them?

Thanks,

John

Thread: issue 171
20/11/2010 19:22:58
No, haven't got mine, yet, either.  Nor is it in the digital issues section, so I can't see what bargains I've missed out on in the small ads. pages.

John
(France)
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate