By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Michael Cox 1

Here is a list of all the postings Michael Cox 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: ME Editor
09/11/2017 17:16:42

Diane, Best wishes and a speedy recovery.

Mike

Thread: MEW 261 -Mike Cox - Axis Stop bars
08/11/2017 18:59:06

Hi Colin,

My usual way of making rounded ends on bars is to find or make a washer the same width as the bar and bolt this to the bar through the hole in the bar. Then excess material was cut off crudely using a hacksaw as you describe using the washer as a guide. Once most of the material has been removed then use a file or linisher to clean up the profile, again using the washer as a guide.

This is usually much quicker for a couple of small pieces than to set up the mill to do the job.

Mike

Thread: Setting up a website
06/11/2017 09:50:31

Further to John Haine's comment above I have used weebly.com for many years and it is easy to set up a website and there are no charges. I was pointed in the direction of weebly by Andy Franks who used to post on this group and many others. His website is www.andysmachines.weebly.com. Sadly Andy passed away a few years back and joined the big workshop in the sky.

I do not understand their business model or how they make money but weebly works well and there is a good support team if there are any problems.

Mike

Thread: Diamond coated steel disks for grinding from China
02/11/2017 09:34:04

I have been using these diamond discs,

https://www.aimtools.co.uk/products/141026-marble-granite-diamond-cutting-disc-115-22-23-20

on a modified bench grinder running at 3000 rpm for some time. They work very well for grinding carbide. I also use the set up to grind HSS, particularly drill bits, see:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/new-uses-for-an-old-grinder.html

The secret of a long disc life is to use only a gentle pressure against the disc when grinding. High pressures can rip the diamond particles from the disc.

Mike

Thread: John Stevenson
23/10/2017 09:07:12

That is the worst news I have heard in a long time. My thoughts are with Debs and his family.

Mike

20/10/2017 18:02:10

Get well soon John.

Your contributions are always interesting together with a good dose of humour.

Best wishes

Mike

Thread: Gear cutting
09/10/2017 07:44:37

Very nice job. I am pleased to hear that others are using the cone drill method. It is so much easier than the button method.

Mike

Thread: Feedback Sought - Beginner's Series
08/07/2017 09:28:50

I would have thought that "Setting up a workshop" would make a good title for a small book on the subject in the Workshop Practice series. This series seems to be reprinted when stocks run low so it would always be available for new comers. It would probably need to be revised occasionally to reflect advances in machinery and new techniques but this would only be necessary at say 5 yearly intervals.

Mike

Thread: Superglue Activator
04/07/2017 21:16:15

Cyanoacrylate adhesive set by reaction with water. Normally this is provided by the humidity in the atmosphere. To encourage rapid setting just breath on the parts before and after application of the adhesive and then press them together. Most cosmetic spays contain some water so will function as activators.

Mike

Thread: 3D printed soft jaws
27/06/2017 18:39:10

Not having a 3D printer (yet!!!!) I had to make my soft jaws, which clamp onto the outside chuck jaws, using conventional machining methods. Further details are here:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/soft-jaws.html

Mike

Thread: Casting Help
15/06/2017 09:32:15

I melt mixed aluminium waste to make castings. The material usually turns OK for machining. The only time I have had a problem with gummy material was when I melted only aluminium extrusions (old double glazing frames) and this material was quite soft and gummy. Gummy aluminium can be improved by dissolving 1 or 2 % copper in the melt.

To get good clean castings then it is important to remove as much slag as possible from the melt. To do this I add LoSalt (a mixture of sodium and potassium chloride for people on low salt diets - available in most supermarkets) as a flux. This is stirred into the molten metal and it brings all the slag to the top where it can be scraped off.

Mike

Thread: Latest forum posts
13/06/2017 12:17:57

When the website first started items would remain on the 'Latest Forum Posts' list on the front page for some time. However the site traffic is now large and unless their is a lot of discussion for a particular posting it disappears very quickly of the end of the list and it is easily possible to miss an item of interest. I know it is possible to view the full list but this is not very convenient. Could the list on the home page be made longer?

Mike

Thread: Braided hemp sash cord....
06/06/2017 08:09:13

The waxed cord could be easily dewaxed using white spirit (mineral spirit in the U.S.).

Another Mike

Thread: DIY hearth
25/05/2017 08:51:25

I have used a mix of 1 part clay (cat litter), 1 part portland cement and 7 parts perlite to make my furnace. It has been in use ,on and off, for several years for melting aluminium. Preparing the mix in the right way is important. For more detail, see:

http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/furnace.html

Mike

Thread: Collet trays
21/05/2017 19:35:37

I was in a local B&M store today and notice these ice cube trays at £1.99 for a pack of two:dscf3487.jpg

What struck me about these was that the holes were round and about the same size as an ER32 collet. I bought a pack and when I got home found that they were absolutely perfect for storing ER32 collets as shown here:

dscf3490.jpg

Mike

Thread: Mini Lathe Change Gear Specification?
30/04/2017 22:54:16

On my minilathe, a Clark CM300, made by Sieg, the gears are Mod 1 with a 20 degree pressure angle ( see: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/change-gear-pressure-angle.html). The gears are 8 mm wide and they are bored 12 mm. The key is 3 mm square. However, the Real Bull minilathes (Chester, Warco, Amadeal), I am told have 4 mm keys.

I hope this helps

Mike

Thread: Machining a concave radius on the end of a round bar
18/04/2017 21:57:27

I do not know what accuracy is required for the radius but I have used a hole saw in the drill press and the piece mounted in the drill vice to do something similar. Very quick, cheap and straightforward.

Mike

Thread: Any Chemists (rust)
18/04/2017 08:55:49

Whilst they are chelating agents oxalic and citric acids are also acids and they will attack steel and etch the surface albeit relatively slowly. However, there are chelating agents, such as sodium EDTA (ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid) which are neutral salts that do not attack steel surfaces but which will chelate and dissolve metal oxides. I suspect that these may be the active ingredient in Evaporust.

Mike

Thread: M-Machine
01/04/2017 12:07:22

I use M-Machine as my main supplier of raw material. I have never had any issues with them and always prompt efficient service. I suspect that, as Brian says, that they may be closed for some reason (holiday, show etc)

Mike

Thread: Westminster Attack 22 March 2017
22/03/2017 19:52:52

I too send my sympathies to all those affected by this event.

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate