By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for martin perman

Here is a list of all the postings martin perman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
06/08/2021 12:59:19

Unless his wheels were down he wouldnt have been below 500 ft over rural areas and 1000 ft over built up areas.

Martin P

Thread: Broken window key
31/07/2021 10:42:58

I recently broke a brass key on my caravan leaving the piece inside the lock, two scriber points in either side of the broken piece pulled it out.

Martin P

Thread: Royal Mail Tracking Numbers!
23/07/2021 13:42:14

We have an issue here with the post, our deliveries are usually between 11:00 and 13:00 but this week weve hardly had any post and at 19:45 last night we had a load.

Martin P

Thread: Driving style predicts Alzeimer’s …
13/07/2021 11:38:45

Just spent four days at the Goodwood festival of speed, 280 mile round trip towing my flat pack caravan, only problems I had was younger drivers who dont seem to know what the pretty orange lights are for on their cars, very speed conscious as towing above 60 mph does seem to draw attention to you.

Martin P

Thread: Which grease?
01/07/2021 20:22:01
Posted by brian jones 11 on 01/07/2021 19:44:40:

sorry its an ML7 with a sML7 cross slide - maybe i can add this to a regular footnote

No one suggested drilling an oil hole in the apron casting above the lead nut then?

come to think of it, all those years i never touched the compound slide lead screws in all the machines i usedfrown

Wow that piece of information about the Myford lathe has made my day, my never to be metioned in conversation Clarke CL500M has an oiling point directly above the cross slide nut which has a hole through the nut support post to allow oil onto the cross slide thread angel

Martin P

01/07/2021 19:00:17

Agree with Nick, stick with oil, grease is more likely to gather rubbish and swarf to make an abrasive paste, can you get access from the rear, squirt directly at the lead screw.

martin P

Edited By martin perman on 01/07/2021 19:00:52

Thread: Easy Start
29/06/2021 11:03:18

I helped move an ex military JP four pot Lister with a large generator attached from MK to Internal Fire in Wales, a mate took the engine and I took the generator on a trailer, when it was reassembled it took four grown men, two on the handle and two on a length of rope to spin it over with the decompressors open, on our first attempt one compressor was closed and we all stopped winding smiley

Martin P

28/06/2021 21:01:20
Posted by john halfpenny on 28/06/2021 20:47:24:

Martin has it. Engines do not become addicted to Easy Start, they are simply worn to a state where starting is difficult in adverse (typically cold) conditions, and will not start without it because their mechanical condition does not improve over time.

Sadly the point I was trying to make was there was nothing wrong with our engine, it was an ex army recon unit we bought and fitted to the truck straight out of the crate as surplus stock.

Martin P

28/06/2021 20:37:23

My Brother and I ran a Bedford TK for several years, during the summer months it would start on the button from cold but come the winter it wouldnt start to save its life unless it had a squirt of easy start, a new pump and injectors and a successful compression test made no difference until the warmer months when it would happily start without its fix.

Martin P

25/06/2021 16:12:21

the only two "likely" to return to flight are at Bruntingthorpe, one has its engines and other parts removed, the other one is able to run up its engines but word is the only way they will leave Bruntithorpe is on trucks particularly as the owner of the site is reclaiming the use of the runway for storage.

None of the vintage aviation press have mentioned any attempt to put one back in the sky.

Martin P

Thread: Auto sign in?
24/06/2021 20:30:08

Until recently I have stayed logged on indefinitly but now im logging on several times a day and I've changed nothing.

Martin P

Thread: Bureaucracy with a tinge of Madness
23/06/2021 20:53:54
Posted by Ady1 on 23/06/2021 19:25:40:

So get a passport and you can laff at the poor as they struggle with the bureaucrats

Just got a new photo Driving Licence last week, applied on Sunday and it dropped through the door on Tuesday... because I have a passport

My passport expired in 2018, I have no further need for one, I also have a three year driving licence which expired earlier this year, I filled in the paperwork posted it off and received a new licence within the week, it works both ways.

Martin P

23/06/2021 18:38:00

I had a similar letter a couple of years ago and I also tried to sign up to the Gateway but gave up as I couldnt give enough security information, my cheque arrived in less than six weeks.

Martin P

Thread: Which was the better design of Airship: R100 or the R101?
10/06/2021 08:34:32

Regardless of which one was best I get to look daily at two of the greatest structures in this country.

Martin P

Thread: Can anybody Identify the make of this pretty pillar drill please.
09/06/2021 10:16:47

I'm helping a friends widow sell his Stationary Engines and we uncovered this pillar drill, its on a stand with various drive mechanism from a pulley to the drill, would anybody know the make please.

I apologise for the orientation, it was upright on my camera and computer but fell over when transfered to here.

Thanks,

Martin P

img_8451.jpg

img_8452.jpg

Thread: Is Liquid PTFE Any Good For Airlines?
07/06/2021 18:23:51

I prefer PTFE tape, easily applied in any orientation and if would on the correct way will not leak, I've found that liquid sealants need time to cure where as the tape is instant.

Martin P

06/06/2021 16:19:31

Entertaining Grandson so only heard Sally B pass over ours, Red Arrows flew over the show at Shuttleworth this afternoon.

Martin P

05/06/2021 22:02:11

Sally B trundled over Bedford around lunch time today heading west, I wonder where she was of to.

Martin P

Thread: GOOD NEWS ! Midlands MEX
26/05/2021 22:13:09

When youve had your two jabs your protected but you can still transmit it to others as a carrier, because of my part time job, even though I've had both my jabs, I'm still required to test myself twice a week for Covid so I dont infect others,

Martin P

Thread: X-axis power drive
26/05/2021 08:14:00

Picking the wiper style motor for me is not because of cost, I wanted a simple system that if it goes wrong I can easily check and repair it, You are all discussing EMF and ways around it, I dont want that hassle.

Martin P

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate