By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gray62

Here is a list of all the postings Gray62 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Take care of your eyes!
19/05/2010 22:04:19
take care of your eyes, you only get one set! I had a cornea graft a few years ago as a result of a progrssive degenerative disorder, That really made me appreciate just how delicate our eyes are. When performning any machining which produces fine dust particles, I use a Trend airway ventilated helmet, not only does this keep dust particles away from the eyes but also away from your airways ( have you ever blown your nose after machining cast iron - hideoous!). Other than that, I always wear workshop grade prescription safety glasses during any machining operation. Our eyes are fundamental to our hobby, make sure you give them the respect they deserve!
Thread: Digital editions of Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop.
18/05/2010 22:21:30
I currently subscribe to the MEW Archive.
As many have commented, the new flash based reader is definitely faster than the previous magazine viewer however, we no no longer have the ability to print articles. Although this change has improved the readibility of online materiel, I doubt if many have computer access in the workshop, and the ability to print out an article for reference in the workshop will be much missed, If this is to be the way forward, I for one will not renew my subscription to the archive, nor will I take up a subscription to the Model Engineer archive, something which I was considering In many ways this is a step backwards, not forwards, I .would prefer a slow reader with the ability to print rather than a flashy reader that does not provide thsi facility.
Thread: Bending Rolls & Bead roller
14/05/2010 11:26:15
Just been pgoing through my old copies of MEW, there was a design in issue 33 for a 'jenny' bead roller if that helps.

regards

Graeme
10/04/2010 22:02:53
Hi Adrian, I am just about to build a set of bending rolls along the line of the GH Thomas design, I would really appreciate a copy of your Turbocad drawings

regards

Graeme
Thread: Studer type OB Cylindrical Grinder
25/03/2010 18:01:51
I acquired this machine as part of a workshop clearance deal about a year ago and have been slowly restoring it.
In general, it is in excellent condition considering it was manufactured around the late 1940's, in fact it is like a good Swiss watch!.
I have the original instruction manual which is good as far as it goes however, some of it is is german and some of it is a little sparce on detail, assuming prior knowlendge of such machines.
 Whilst I understand the principles behind cylindrical grinding and its uses, if anyone has any experience inthis area or of this machine, all input will be much appreciated.

The intended use is for finish grinding of small engine crankshafts and taper tooling to suit my exisitng workshop machines.

The machine came with an extensive range of collets which appear similar to 5C collets and I intend to make a lathe chuck to utlilise these. If anyone knows the exact details of these collets, closing thread, head taper etc etc, that info will be greatly received.

Thread: Lathe/Milling Machine combination
12/03/2010 22:27:24
Having owned a Chester Model B in the past, I feel qualified to give advice on this subject. As others have commented, whilst having an attractively large swing, the centre height over bed width gives rise to significant rigidity issues, despite substantial castings being used for both head and tailstocks, there is measurable flex when machining a large object. The milling head is also lacking in rigidity and build quality. The table is so limited in size as to be quite unusable for anything other than the smallest of parts.
I would reccomend saving your pennies and purchasing a mill that suits your needs rather than trying to combine both functions in one, I also  a own a Warco WMT 300 but the lathe only version and have found it more than adequate in all but the most demanding of turning jobs. I cannot pass judgement on any of the larger Warco mills as I am now fortunate enough to own a large turret mill - (an Ajax AJT4) but having owned one of their smaller machines, I can vouch for their build quality and excellent after sales service. My adice would b e to give Roger a call at Warco and discuss your requirements,I have always found their advice to be impartial and invaluable.
Thread: Bridgeport miller
11/10/2009 21:13:21
I agree with Bob, moving large heaby machinery can be done very efectively using the Egyptian roller method. Keepint the C of G as low as possible provides a degree of safety.
My Ajax AJT4 which weighs in at around 1.5 tonne was moved using lengths of 1" solid round bar, I would not recommend using gas or similar pipe due to the potential for distortion. The machine in its original guise is around 87" (2210mm) from the base to the top of the motor which I think is similar in height to a bridgeport. It barely cleared under the up and over garage door but once in had sufficient clearance to the roof trusses. even now after adding a 7" column spacer there is still a couple of inches from the top of the motor to the roof beams> To allow access to the air drawbar motor and facilitate drawbar removal, I have framed out the roof in the area above the mill and made a removable panel, similar to a loft hatch.
Thread: warco vs lathe
03/10/2009 09:18:06
The VS version of the GH1224 is fitted with an inverter drive and is an updated model of the GH1224. So it has the advantages of a geared head and the variable speed that an inverter driven system gives.

If you have queries or problems, Give Warco a call, they are extremely helpful and friendly.
I've been a Warco customer for years and cannot fault their service and support. (Usual disclaimers)

Thread: Subscribers only
03/09/2009 22:02:37
As a subscriber, we have undertaken a commitment to the magazine whereas others are what I consider 'ad-hoc' purchasers. I have in the past existed in both camps and would be happy to accept that ad-hoc purchase would not entitle me to content that was available to those who choose to make a financial commitment in the longer term to the publication. I do however empathise with those who are not able to undertake such a commitment for whatever reason and agree that there may be justification for making the online content available through other subscription methods, however, if online subscription were to become available, it may, in the longer term jeapordise the future of the printed materiel, something which although an advocate of electronic media, I would prefer not to lose the hard copy dropping through my door on a regular basis
03/09/2009 17:35:06
Hi David,
Absolute stroke of genius!
The online back issues are excellent. The digitised page turning sounds are totally un-necessary but add a touch of realism to reading an online magazine (note - not a criticism but a complement )
It would be great if you could add the earlier issues to the archive. Over the years of subscribing, |I have managed to obtain (through online auction sites) and at varying costs, most issues from around 40 onwards however, there seems to be a premium associated with the earlier magazines. This is unrealistic as this is not exactly a 'collectors' item and the information in these earlier magazines is as relevant to the hobby today as it was at the time of publishing. I am sure there are many like my who would like to read these earlier magazines purely from an interest viewpoint. Even if these were presented as scanned pdf's, I am sure that subscribers would appreciate the content being made available.
I have seen comments relating to content being locked to subscribers only. I for one totally agree with this philosophy and would be agrieved if archive content were to be released to non-subscribers
regards  Graeme

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate