By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for MichaelR

Here is a list of all the postings MichaelR has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RLE Engine
13/07/2009 13:27:52

Mike, Have a look at this site regarding the RLE it gives a good account of a complete rebuild of the RLE lots of pictures.

Thread: Rivets and Riveting
07/07/2009 09:21:58
The rivet stem should be one and a half times it's diameter longer than the the the thickness of the material  it's joining

Iron rivets are soft so shouldn't need heating, I have annealed copper rivets before heading.
06/07/2009 13:26:38
I first form the rivet head using a flat end punch and I work around the rivet forming a turned over edge something like the rag on a well used cold chisel, then I finish off the head with the head forming snap. I find that I can control the shaping of the rivet better by using this method.
Thread: hunt for a past model maker
03/07/2009 15:44:56
Try this web site and look in the history page http://www.hwsme.org.uk/history.htm you may find a lead for what you are looking for.
Thread: Piston Ring Material
27/06/2009 18:52:37
Thanks for the info, I hadn't given any thought regarding hard spots in the cored bar, not a good thing with piston rings.
Like John I will get a large drill and continue to make swarf

26/06/2009 15:42:11
I make my own Piston Rings for my Hit and Miss IC engines, and have to use solid cast iron bar, of course most of the bar is bored out to swarf and bar is not cheap.
I have never come across cored cast iron in any advertisements in the modelling press, anybody know if cored cast iron is available in model engine sizes.
Thread: Jan Ridders Pressure-controlled Two-stroke engine
20/06/2009 16:30:19
John, Could you fix the magnet in a brass or alloy insert and fit that insert into the fly wheel, this would save you making a new flywheel and may get you up and running quicker.

I have a RLE Hit and Miss engine and have the magnet fitted to a alloy disc which is fitted to the half speed timing gear, see here hope this works !!
The ignition system is a buzz coil kit that I had to make up.

Thread: Ignition coils for small engines
05/06/2009 16:02:01

Hi John,

A UK supplier for ignition systems here

At the moment I am using the Jerry Howell Buzz coil circuit on my RLE Hit and Miss engine, these circuits had to be made up from components, the systems on the above site are ready to go which sounds good.
Mike.

Edited By David Clark 1 on 26/06/2009 08:11:52

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate