By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Margaret Trelawny

Here is a list of all the postings Margaret Trelawny has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 9/16 nut help!
25/09/2023 16:03:22

Dear all,

thank you to each and every one of you for your offers of help and suggested solutions. Your kindness and support has overwhelmed me.

As mentioned above by Ketan, he and Ian at the wonderful arceuro have gone above and beyond to help solve the issue. Thank you both so much for your superb customer service - going the extra mile to help. I cannot thank you enough.

I take full responsibility for not checking the difference between US and European specs - had I had more experience I perhaps would have twigged there may be an issue. As Bill mentions above, it has been a valuable learning curve!

The 4-bolt plate from LMS for the saddle has fitted a treat with no issues and gives a real stiffness to the tool post mount - something lacking on the standard set up.

Again, I cannot thank you all enough for your help and offers to sort the issues. You really are a brilliant community.

Hopefully, with the purchased 9/16-18 nuts and the roller bearing solution - it will be job done. I will report back as soon as everything is installed and working with hopefully good news.

Edited By Margaret Trelawny on 25/09/2023 16:13:52

24/09/2023 22:40:32

Thanks all for the information and research conducted on my behalf - I appreciate it very much.

Bill - yes unfortunately I did marr the surface of the LMS stud with grips because it got stuck halfway down the lathe stud, and without a suitable nut to wind on to assist, I had to turn it with grips - even with a strong duct tape layer between them the only way it would turn fully down was to grip it tightly. It seems the suspect Far Eastern thread on the original stud was distorted by the original toolpost.

John Attle - how kind of you to do that for me,  thank you - but alas it’s a 9/16-18 nut I need to fit the LMS stud. The LMS stud works perfectly to mount the 111 but the locking nut supplied with the 111 is different to that from the US. I am sorry to have wasted your time - but thank you very much for being so kind.

I’ll purchase the relevant nuts all and report back - hopefully with some good news.

M

Edited By Margaret Trelawny on 24/09/2023 22:42:16

24/09/2023 16:28:12

Thanks Nick

24/09/2023 16:26:53

Hey Bill.

Lol - glad I am not going mad!

the middle pic is from the arceuro printed catalogue.

best wishes

M

Edited By Margaret Trelawny on 24/09/2023 16:27:11

Edited By Margaret Trelawny on 24/09/2023 16:27:42

24/09/2023 16:03:08

img_5765.jpegNo idea why the page doesn’t post the pics in sequence either!

here is the ‘sleeve’ toolpost in place….

24/09/2023 16:01:54

img_5768.jpegimg_5767.jpegimg_5766.jpegHi Bill and chaps,

ok, so the attached photos show the new ‘sleeve’ stud from LMS in place.

the second shot shows the nut sitting on top - it won’t turn anymore than this.

also shown are the arceuro catalogue page which gives the spec of the 111 QCTP and lastly, the LMS webpage spec for the ‘sleeve’ stud…

24/09/2023 14:58:53

Frances IoM - I don’t have a thread gauge. I must get one. I am going by what the suppliers printed info/websites are telling me.

24/09/2023 14:46:36

Guys, I’m getting more and more confused (doesn’t take much!)

As mentioned in my opening post - the arceuro 111 QCTP is supplied with (according to their catalogue) a flanged nut specified as 14mm (9/16 UNF).

The toolpost stud from LMS is specified on their website as having a 9/16-18 thread.

to recap - the nut supplied with the 111 QCTP (specified as 14mm (9/16 UNF) WON’T FIT this stud.

So if I buy a 9/16 UNF nut surely it’s going to be the same as the arceuro nut? Or am I missing something?

face 21 Thanks all

M

24/09/2023 14:15:04

Nicholas - thanks for the link to Spalding.

are these 9/16-18? Seems to suggest so in the spec if I am reading it corrext. Apologies for the seemingly naieve reponse but I have no engineering knowledge at all.

**LINK**

many thanks

M

24/09/2023 14:10:01

Hi all,

thanks for your replies. I agree a non-flanged nut with a thick washer would probably be fine.

can’t remember which chap said 9/16-18 are readily available in the UK - I have not been able to find any. Would you be kind enough to post a link please?

many thanks

m

24/09/2023 12:37:50

Dear John

Thank you so much. I am not sure what 9/16-18 (UNF or whatnot) means but it’s what the LMS stud is threaded with.

Best wishes

M

24/09/2023 12:15:32

Hello again everyone,

So the continuing saga (farce!) with fitting a QCTP to my lathe continues.

I sourced a stud from Little Machine Shop in the US and it fits right over my standard stud - it has a M8 tapped internal thread which works perfectly. So I fit it, and slide on the QCTP and try on the locking flange nut at the top - and guess what!?!? Yep / it doesn’t fit!!!

The one supplied in the arceuro QCTP is 14mm (9/16 UNF) and the LMS stud needs a 9/16-18 flange nut - seriously- you could not make this up!

Can anyone help me please with a 9/16-18 flanged nut? To buy one from the US is circa $25 plus about the same post. I cannot justify that.

Any suggestions most gratefully accepted. Fed up doesn’t come close!

Many thanks

m

Thread: Compound slide pin!!
15/09/2023 20:44:44

Very true. Ordering the Loctite now. Thank you.

15/09/2023 20:31:34

I am just wondering, would a threaded stud, tapped into the slide, be a better fix than gluing? I guess it would be stronger and although the piece doesn’t take any stress, it isn’t something I want to keep redoing if it fails.

M

15/09/2023 17:03:49

That’s a great suggestion. Which Loctite do you recommend? I have seen Ade Swash etc use it be

But never managed to see the part no.

15/09/2023 16:14:55

We thought of a way around it. Drill the remains of the stud out, tap the saddle to M12, then make a new steel stud, tapped M12 into the slide.

15/09/2023 14:56:59

img_5723.jpegimg_5722.jpegARRRGH!!!

Thanks Jason - we gently (and I promise I mean gently) prized the two parts apart - and this happened! Now we are in a whole world of pain becase the stud thing is part of the slide?

😢

15/09/2023 14:37:16

img_5721.jpegimg_5720.jpegArrrrgggh!
Every step of the way this *%**ing thing fights me!

Sorry. Hello everyone- can you advise me how to remove the locking pin from the cross slide carriage please? See photo. I feel like giving it a huge whack woth a giant hammer and centre pinch but not sure that is prudent! Lol.

We have purchased a new compound slide base to give more stability but can’t fit without removing that pin. Any suggestions please?

Thank you

M

Thread: Help! Excessive machine marks!
27/08/2023 13:40:15

Thanks everyone. I will look into your suggestions in the week as I am now committed to family time!

Thanks again.

27/08/2023 11:53:34

img_5627.jpegimg_5626.jpegA thought - I noticed that these bolts which hold the compound in place are very lose inside the channels - although when tightened the compound seems tight and rigid, I wondered if when under pressure from the tool contact it was moving?
Would it be worth trying to get better fitting bolts - they are nearly 2mm smaller than the channel.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate