By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Sonic Escape

Here is a list of all the postings Sonic Escape has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: AVM MAS 140 lathe
14/02/2023 10:43:41

Now I'm even more confused about what means a good quality lathe. But for some reason I'm starting to think it's a good idea to buy it. I'm going again this afternoon to see it. I have another steel bar left.

Somebody reverse engineered a 3D model of this lathe: **LINK**

13/02/2023 19:47:50

I just saw the lathe this evening. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but this is the first time I've seen a lathe in reality.smiley I think that I spent an hour but I have the feeling that there were a lot of details that I missed or I was completely unaware of. And I have even more questions now ... but here are my remarks so far:

- I put a 6mm mill in the chuck and I measured the concentricity error at 10mm from the jaws. The maximum deviation was 0.1mm (0.0039"

- I fixed a comparator on the compound and put the tip on the bed. Then I set a low speed for the carriage and move it across the whole length. Maximum error was 0.04mm (0.00157"

- I tried to lift the carriage using moderate force and the comparator didn't moved a micron.

- We cut my steel rod from above. First with a 0.1mm cut. The surface was very smooth. Then we cut 1mm deep using a carbide tool. There was a sharp strong noise a lot of smoke from burned oil. It was not something that I would like to replicate. The bar was almost to hot to touch after. The surface also looks nice. Now I realized that I should use a much longer bar. Actually the seller had one prepared but I didn't realized it's purpose. The highest difference in diameter for the 1mm cut is 0.01mm(0.00039"

- I opened the gear box. There was clean oil at the bottom and the edge of the wheels feels sharp. There was no suspicious noise in any gear setting. Both longitudinal and transversal automatic feed is working

- all the slides run smooth and apparently there is no backslash.

- In order to change the speed sometimes you have to manually rotate the chuck. But I suppose this is normal, the wheels are not always aligned.

- The tailstock can be adjusted only horizontally

I think I will return to cut a half a meter bar. I used this comparator.

How do you think are the measurements so far?
If I cut a long bar what is the maximum expected error for a lathe in good condition?

Edited By Sonic Escape on 13/02/2023 19:48:12

Edited By Sonic Escape on 13/02/2023 19:50:55

Edited By Sonic Escape on 13/02/2023 19:55:23

13/02/2023 14:20:04
Posted by bernard towers on 13/02/2023 14:17:20:

Whatever you do do not disregard the dro they Arte a great confidence booster and a great aid to repeatable parts.

How much would cost a DRO like that? I have no idea

13/02/2023 12:42:10

Yes, I'm going to measure with a comparator the concentricity error and all slides. It didn't occur to me to cut some steel. I have this steel bar. How could I stress this lathe with it? What would be the maximum depth at which it should cut? And at what speed?

13/02/2023 11:39:26

The machine is three-phase but the seller installed a converter. The chuck has 3 jaws, in that the picture was difficult to see. It has also a new DRO installed. But I want to buy it without. I think I can live without it. It just add to the total price.

13/02/2023 08:23:24

It has also the gear wheel for imperial threads. Maybe tomorrow I'll go to see it. I'm still discussing with the seller about the price. Is a little over my budget since I was planning to buy something in the SIEG SC4 or SC6 range.

12/02/2023 21:58:34

I'm looking for a lathe and I found this model close to me. It is an Italian lathe with 750mm distance between centers. Anybody had any experience with this model?

Thread: LED Battens Drivers
12/02/2023 21:46:28

It looks like it is possible to change the strip configuration. By desoldering an LED maybe. Then you could divide the 420V strip in two. If the two resulted strips are connected in anti parallel you can connect them directly to 230AC. With only one good quality film capacitor in series to limit the current. A value between 10-15μF should cause the necessary voltage drop at 70mA.

Of course such a circuit will not be safe to touch in any point. And maybe could cause some 50Hz flickering. But in the absence of other options, it is worth trying

Edited By Sonic Escape on 12/02/2023 21:49:54

Thread: DIY milling machine
12/02/2023 20:58:59
Posted by Vic on 11/02/2023 14:17:31:

This thread may be of interest.

**LINK**

I knew about epoxy frames. It was one of the first options that I investigated. But I'm not familiar with the materials. What I found here is very expensive for the volume required.
But how about some high grade concrete? A cubic meter of the strongest commonly available concrete here is 80 euro I think.

if I had known that I would be interested in milling machines before the house was ready I could alter the project to incorporate a milling frame. And I would have lived in a milling machine smiley

Edited By Sonic Escape on 12/02/2023 21:12:31

12/02/2023 20:34:32
Posted by Andy_G on 11/02/2023 09:56:01:
I built a router type machine (CNC) with a cheap, air-cooled spindle motor, and it was nowhere near rigid enough. After some re-engineering, it will cut aluminium (fairly happily) and steel (not so happy). It is still not very rigid and I'm in the process of making a new spindle along the lines of your second option.

The cause for the relative lack of rigidity can't be the linear rails? I also wanted to use them because they are widely available but I read somewhere that dovetail slides are more solid.

Thank you for all suggestions. I suppose that a stronger bench drill would work better. After all even with my Bosch drill I was able to cut a steel nut and a bolt. But I want to build one just because I find it an interesting project. It doesn't matter if in the end it might end up more expensive that a used machine. The cost will be spread over a long time.
However I'm considering also the option of buying an used milling machine in bad shape, if the cost is reasonable, and to restore it. If it is a serious machine, >600kg. That would be and equally interesting project I think. In my region there are often in the used market old Romanian milling machines. My favorite is this one, a FUS22:

It weights 800kg. But it costs 2000€. Because the seller insists in selling it together with a large rotating table, a divider head and an additional slotting head. If they are in worst shape, like what I'm looking for, they end up in the scrap yard not on Internet. And even without accessories they don't drop bellow 1500€. This days I'm also looking for a lathe and such a milling machine would consume too much from that budget.

In my ignorant view, all I need is a way to move the spindle vertically as rigid as possible. I'm happy even with locking the spindle after I set the height. To be more rigid. I don't plan to adjust it during the milling. It is not a CNC.
The rest is relatively easy. For the frame I can weld something heavy enough. Steel is cheap. I dropped the requirement to be able to move the machine alone. I can build it directly where it will stand. There is plenty of space around. It is also a well ventilated place to use MMA welding there. The electronics part like speed regulator is not a problem.
I started some talks to see how much it would cost for somebody to drop a large boulder in my yard. I heard that some high end milling machines are made from granite. I could carve the boulder outside and then move it somehow in the garage. But this is not my first choice. Or at least not yet

10/02/2023 22:36:52
Posted by Ady1 on 07/02/2023 23:30:32:

with a home made setup for milling steel you really need weight/mass of 100KG plus to absorb the cutting forces

and in milling world, 100KG is a lightweight

The table is moving horizontally over a dovetail?

I continued to think about the options and currently I have two dilemmas. First, what spindle to use. The one that I posted above I don't like it. Seems difficult to adapt a pulley to it. And also I don't know in what condition it is. From my research I concluded that there are two widely available options. One is a combination of air or water cooled high RPM motor that include ER collet:

The second option is only a large cast iron block with an BT30 tool holder:

This one is limited to lower RPM. But I don't need high speed if I'm not in a hurry, right? The green one looks more solid to me. But the first is easier to use.

The second dilemma is the vertical movement. I'm thinking to use a solid vertical tube. Something > 4" in diameter and very thick walls. Similar to this home made contraption:

But I'm not sure how to make that piece that slides up/down over the column. Maybe another pipe with interior diameter just a little larger than the column diameter? I could slotted it to be able to clamp it over the column before milling.

07/02/2023 22:02:50

Hi An,

I don't have any type of work in mind. I just find it interesting to build one. I have some vague requirements like to be able to move it alone, up to 10cm of vertical movement and should work with mills up to 7-8mm. Cutting speed is not an important factor. But I would like to be as precise and vibration free as possible.
My current idea is to make a frame from half inch thick metal plates. There are plasma cutting companies in my area and I can weld reasonably well. But I have to check the precision of this cutting method. Because they usually cut metal sheets for fences...

Also I found this in the local used market, a kind of milling head:

This thing has an ISO 50 cone and I estimate to weight around 60kg. It is larger than what I was planning but the price is ok and I'm wondering how difficult could be to use it. Maybe to replace that teeth wheel with a pulley for a belt?

07/02/2023 19:50:16

Hi,

I want to build a milling machine. Just for fun. I have no experience so I was looking for something simple. I bought a Bosch PBD 40 bench drill, a milling table and this precision vise.
The milling table was full of rust, had a lot of play and was covered in a bad smelling grease. I cleaned it and painted. Fortunately it was possible to adjust it to remove the play. I stacked everything together like this:

The table is moving smooth but unfortunately I underestimated the rigidity required to mill metal. I have a 5mm carbide mill and I was able to cut the top of a nut. But I think I was lucky that the mill didn't snap. There were a lot of vibrations. This is the result:

I like the table so I will keep it but I want to replace the column drill. So I'm evaluating different options for building a more solid frame. I'm open to any option, from steel to concrete.

Thread: Hello from Romania
07/02/2023 19:27:45

Hi,

I recently started to be interested in lathes, milling machines and various mechanical devices and I was looking for a forum that covers this topics. I have no experience in this domain. So far my hobbies were electronics and programming. But I want to try something new. Preferably without involving a screen.

Cheers

Andrei

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate