By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BASS 666

Here is a list of all the postings BASS 666 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: work slipping while threading ...
17/04/2022 15:21:10

to answer a few questions ...

the die was open and the correct way round ..

there was a good chamfer on the job ..

the die is new and i used cutting oil ...

i think it's the jaws because as i said before the jaws would not hold six washers at a time the last couple or three fell out when i tightened the jaws ...

i have schooled myself about doing the jaws so i might got that done in the very near future ...

17/04/2022 11:10:53

thanks for all the advice guys ...

17/04/2022 01:10:04

i will take this all on board and try the things mentioned .. might have a go at grinding the chuck jaws as well ...

17/04/2022 00:47:10
Posted by Ady1 on 17/04/2022 00:34:52:

You need to cut a deeper start thread on the lathe, your die is doing too much work

do most of the threading work on the lathe, the die finishes off, 10mm is medium-big work

Edited By Ady1 on 17/04/2022 00:43:34

i can't cut threads on a lathe yet and the die works perfect in the vice ...

17/04/2022 00:29:11

the chuck is worn a fair bit i think because i needed a 12mm hole through 6 penny washers so i put them in the chuck to bore through them with a drill and the washers closest to the outer edge of the chuck fell out when i tightened it ..

i done them 3 at a time ..

17/04/2022 00:11:54

myford ml7 with 3 jaw chuck ...

i'm having bother threading mild steel with a tailstock die holder and the stock being held in the chuck ..

i turned a bar down yesterday to 9.5mm for a 3/8x24 die and it was in the chuck but when i try to thread it using the die holder the work just slips no matter how much i tighten the chuck ..

it will make the first small part of thread then just slip even with a good chamfer ...

yes i can take it out and finish in the vice but i would rather do it on the lathe .. is there a way to make the chuck grip tighter ?

the only thing i can think of is maybe a soft collar using two halfs ??

any input guys ? thanks ..

Thread: ml7 tri leva cross slide screw ?
15/04/2022 16:43:33

i measured the screw and it's nearly perfect maybe someone changed it ? if i hold just the screw and move it in and out of the nut i can get about 40 thou and when the screw is attached to the lathe again and i move the cross slide i get about 20 thou movement ...

i have sent for the thrust washers and maybe do what jon lawes did and send for a bearing as well ..

i have used the lathe quite a few times now and made a few threading tools as well as some stuff for the motorbikes and i am used to allowing for the slack but i thought if i could get rid of it then it would be a bonus ...

15/04/2022 13:22:30
Posted by Hopper on 15/04/2022 13:11:10:

I would expect it to be the same as standard ML7 but have no experience of the TriLeva in person.

Myford stocks them periodically but they sell out fairly quickly. Other sellers on eBay have them. No idea of quality though.

Make sure the slack is not in the adjustment where the handle and dial screw on to the spindle. It can be fiddly to get set up just right, and is often the source of most play.

Anyhow, slack in the nut does not really affect lathe performance. It will still cut true to size regardless of slack there. You just have to remember if you are winding in and want to go back a thou or two, you have to go back past the slack and then wind back in to the number on the dial you want. Even with a new nut there will be some slack there and you always have to do this.

i have the adjustment where the handle and dial screw on the spindle just nice not too tight .. the lathe works perfect and i do adjust for the slack but i do think the nut is well worn so if i can get one and do the thrust bearing mod then it might help it a fair bit ...

15/04/2022 11:56:53

guys is the tri leva cross slide nut the same as the rest of the ml7s ? if so where do i buy one ?

i have looked everywhere even on the Myford site but they don't sell them as a single unit and there are some on ebay but it's the part number i'm worried about ..

there is a very small bit of play in the cross slide ( about 20 thou ) but the screw looks good the whole length so i'm gonna try a new nut if i can get one ...

thanks guys ...

Thread: silly question about oil drip feeder ...
12/04/2022 00:12:53

thanks guys ...

11/04/2022 20:11:13

how often should an oil drip feed drip ? i was on the lathe yesterday for about two and a half hours and the feeders nearly emptied ..

was is the normal rate ?

another question .... what size should i turn a bar down to so as i can run a 3/8x24 die down it in mm ?

thanks guys ...

Thread: Myford Super 7 at SRS for only £395
03/04/2022 18:33:19

can't wait to see how it turned out ...

Thread: how to make it stay in ?
29/03/2022 20:55:09

thanks again guys for the ideas i will post what iv done as soon as i get onto it ...

29/03/2022 18:24:50

thanks Duffer for the trouble you went to .. Martin it is for looks only mate just to tidy up the look of the axles ....

29/03/2022 17:01:44

couple of really good ideas there .. thanks guys ...

29/03/2022 16:34:46
Posted by JasonB on 29/03/2022 16:26:16:

Counterbore the spigot and bond in a strong magnet

if you mean the spike then there is nothing for the magnet to stick to cause the axle is alloy and hollow ...

29/03/2022 16:22:50

here is my bike and a close up of the front wheel .. i want to make a couple of alloy spikes that sit inside the axle holes one is round and the other is a hex ( hex on the right and round on the left ) .. see the drawing .. the problem is they are easy to make but i can't work out how to make them stay in ? i know i could make them a tight fit and tap them in but that's no good for a few reasons so is there a way to keep them in the holes ? nothing sticks out they will be sitting flush .. thanks guys ...img_20220326_144628.jpgcrop wheel.jpgsdc12176.jpg

Edited By BASS 666 on 29/03/2022 16:24:45

Thread: stuff that came with my lathe ...
21/03/2022 11:20:43

guys i'm very grateful for all the advice from yourselves because obviously you know far more than i will ever know but i bought my lathe for certain tasks that i know i will need to do regarding motorcycles .... my massive passion is motorbikes and iv been working at them for 40 years .. i used to just build engines but as the years go by iv been doing everything ie restoring and remodeling ..

the lathe is for when like someone buys a new set of aftermarket wheels and i need to make the correct size of spacers and the simple stuff i know i can do and already have done in the last couple of weeks ....

i can't see myself getting that far with the lathe that i use it for what you guys do and if i'm wrong then i'm wrong but i have needed a lathe so many times and iv paid my local engineer a small fortune for parts i can make with my eyes closed it's madness ..

so again thanks for all the advice but i just know in my head the lathe will be used for simple tasks regarding motorbikes .... Gary ...

21/03/2022 10:05:29
Posted by Circlip on 21/03/2022 09:03:28:

After disposing of what you regard to be superfluous, just think of the poor guy that buys your lathe when you've curled your toes up and advertises "Has anyone got a set of screw cutting gears for a - - - - - "

Regards Ian.

when i'm dead i won't care about who buys my lathe and what he gets with it .. i have already spent nearly £1000 on tooling and other stuff and i'm not finished yet so whoever buys it is getting a good set up ....

20/03/2022 22:42:15

some more stuff that came with my lathe ... i had a few inquiries about the first lot i showed and sold a few things so if you have any interest let me know .. thanks guys ...sdc12151.jpgsdc12152.jpgsdc12153.jpgsdc12154.jpgsdc12155.jpgsdc12156.jpgsdc12157.jpgsdc12158.jpgsdc12159.jpgsdc12160.jpgsdc12161.jpgsdc12162.jpgsdc12163.jpgsdc12164.jpgsdc12165.jpgsdc12166.jpgsdc12167.jpgsdc12168.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate