By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Roger Best

Here is a list of all the postings Roger Best has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
19/09/2021 17:33:05

I also had fun a couple of years ago when I managed to unscrew the brush; fortunately the rods come with a drain plunger that did a good job of chasing the brush up. I still had to erect a scaffold to get up to pull the brush out, it couldn't be kind enough to pop out of the top.

My positive contribution of the day was to deliver my very-tall stepladder to Basingstoke &DMES were we are building a large workshop.

The ladder belonged to my Dad and must be 30 years old, and hasn't been used for 20 years since his death despite a few attempts at using it to pick fruit. I have had it cluttering up my garden for a decade. Only goes to show don't throw anything away.

Thread: Steam engine toy with machines
11/09/2021 11:39:00

smiley

Hi Richard,

What you have there is an (almost-certainly) scratch-built engine, with some accessory toys, probably by Jenson of USA, but possibly by Langes, I believe there was a business connection there.

Little accessories are very popular in the steam toy fraternity and there is lots of information about them on toy steam forums. They have a value based on rarity and sophistication, so the range is considerable.

This link shows a video of some that look just like yours:

Jenson workshop

If you search on that forum you will find a lot more about Jenson and Langes toys.

Thread: I dont think its 3phase but what is it ?!
11/09/2021 11:16:15

There is no easy way out on this, it looks a bit like a 3-phase with one phase taken off, which would be a common thing if there had once been a 3 phase supply, but the electricity board would never leave it like that.

I suggest you get the rest of the system checked too. It won't cost much related to the risks.

Thread: To laser cut or to water cut
11/09/2021 11:02:45

There has been considerable technological development in this area over the years, both in terms of lasers, pumps and CNC gubbins, so it will largely depend on the age and quality of the machine concerned.

Ask your potential suppliers what they can do but my money is on water jet due to the edge hardening issue.

Thread: MIG gas/gasless welders - recommendations?
08/09/2021 21:33:26

After wearing out a gas mig machine I bought a gasless machine and loved it. It doesn't do a neat job but it does glue thin metal with adequate penetration for car bodywork and furniture.

For heavy stuff I have a stick machine.

I wish I had a TIG, that it very flexible. laugh

Thread: Purpose of screw on keyway
29/08/2021 15:16:25

Location along the axis? dont know

I don't see anything else to stop it wandering in this case.

Thread: Tig welder controls not working correctly
29/08/2021 15:06:38

crying

Sadly "little use" means nothing if the electronics have wet capacitors, they have a 10 year life even on the shelf. And that is before you start to look at corroded solder joints.

Thread: Moving vice on mill table....
22/08/2021 17:22:27
Posted by Me. on 20/08/2021 15:44:21:

All done - reduced the tee nuts by 2mm seems to have done the trick.

Hooray! party

Thread: choices of material to turn
17/08/2021 20:40:00

Some plastics turn well too, Delrin is good for that I may have heard.

As with metals ask about machining characteristics, some plastics are very tricky.

Thread: Myford 254 Hand Turning Rest
17/08/2021 20:32:26

cool totally cool

Thread: Looking for solution to incorrigibly jumpy needle roller bearings
17/08/2021 20:28:48

Polymer plain bearing, see how long that lasts.

IGUS

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
17/08/2021 20:21:42

laugh Jon, exactly how simple does it have to be to be within your threshold of acceptably easy?

Pitched roof vents

Nothing that works is very cheap, we are talking a lot of energy here, but a lot of the solutions are readily doable.

16/08/2021 22:10:22

laugh Another vote for expensive insulation here!

A trick often forgotten is "free cooling" running a small fan overnight to draw in cool air and draw down the interior temperature. The same trick can be achieved with a "chimney" through the roof, just block it off in winter.

I use this in my extensions slope-insulated roof, it lets the heat gained during the day out so it stays temperate all summer and winter.

Thread: universal pillar tool long arm castings
15/08/2021 21:11:11
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 15/08/2021 09:41:51:
Posted by Mike Poole on 14/08/2021 19:33:28:

Cast iron square bar could be a substitute, depending on how much trouble you want to go to is could pass for a casting after much work

Why would you make a homemade workshop tool look like a casting??

Easy answer - to make it look prettier.

Before you choke please remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. laugh

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
15/08/2021 20:36:10

I had a great afternoon at Basingstoke for a members day barbecue.

Lots of chatting and good weather, a good reminder of the social side of clubs.

SWMBO thought it was OK, so I am allowed to come again laugh

Edited By Roger Best on 15/08/2021 20:36:49

Thread: Nu-tool Milling Machine
10/08/2021 19:35:01

That format of mill is pretty common, there are bound to be a few people who have noticed prices on ebay or on this forum.

It looks pretty well cared for so I would hesitantly suggest £400, a good few are less but they last for decades and you can't tell condition from photos.

Reference similar-ish machines new:

warco

axminster

Thread: Old stuff too good to throw out
10/08/2021 18:09:13

Aircraft are routinely riveted, even modern ones. That sample look like my Grandfather's and he made flying boats in WW2. I am sure you have the floor sweepings of some complex job or three.

I expect the capsules legend is unrelated, it looks like a useful tin to store stuff in.

Thread: Vise/Vice advise
10/08/2021 17:36:22

I have a DH1 and it is beautifully made. Worth the cash and a special bit of kit for special jobs.

It is not big though - only 85mm wide. It will look small on the WM18, 100mm will look better.

By happenstance I also have a Warco cheapy 80mm vice and the difference is huge, its cute but loads of details are poorly executed. It still does the job and its ideal for that risky job where I won't curse too much if it gets dirty or scratched. Obviously I wish it was bigger.

Thread: GigaFactory
08/08/2021 12:51:58

I agree with much of the sentiments above, it does feel like individual efforts cannot pay unless subsidised, and that often looks like the government is subsidising the comfortable classes whilst bemoaning those who can't pay, which is divisive.

The only way to make your sums add up is to buy shares in a developing company with a good chance of success, i.e. to gamble, that's not an easy choice for most people as there will be losers.

There is no easy answer.

Thread: Problems in bending sheet aluminium to a 90 deg angle
07/08/2021 15:53:22

Gary has it. smileyyes

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate