By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Me.

Here is a list of all the postings Me. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Moving vice on mill table....
06/08/2021 09:40:53

Or to put it another way - how to stop my mill vice moving on the table.

Its a beast of a vice must weigh 20kg - its bolted down to the mill table with 12mm tee nuts, but it still slides along the table when I'm milling something.

I'm at a loss as to why - i can't physically move it when not under load but as soon as I make a cut it slides.

Must say its not all the time and it only moves a few mm but as you can imagine its a bit annoying.

Tips and tricks please.

Thread: Dividing head - Beval gear ?
20/06/2021 09:57:32

Thanks for the Link - great read.

18/06/2021 11:33:44

Thanks for the detailed answers - I had it in my head that the extra drive was needed to rotate the head in normal operation.

I understand the Helixieseezze's idea - maybe in the future if i ever need to cut one i will try to get it working properly so I can cut a "spiral "...

17/06/2021 15:53:06

As you can see - there should be a gear (bevel) to help turn the other bevel gear.

img_5772.jpgimg_5771.jpgimg_5770.jpgimg_5769.jpg

09/06/2021 11:11:22

Its defiantly a bevel gear drive that's missing - I can work that out from where the original handle would have been - I will attach a photo later.

08/06/2021 15:35:00

Seems to me that most run a 40-1 final drive but how do I work out what the missing gear is.

I take it there is a mathematical formula for such ?

I will add some photos later.

Edited By Me. on 08/06/2021 15:35:27

08/06/2021 15:06:31

Hi - recently been given a tilting dividing head - can't find a makers mark on it yet but it looks very well made.

It looks like it was taken apart for some reason and the main drive bevel gear is missing along with the handle - the surround doesn't look like too much work to make a new one but the bevel gear is my sticking point.

How do I work out what gear ratio it needs to be - ive not counted the teeth on the gear that remains yet but that's my next job.

Thread: Help needed on Boring Bar insert.
21/05/2021 19:58:34

It has - Komet JBV 3/810 etched on the side - its slightly worn so can't make it out properly

Its approx 1" square and 300mm long

21/05/2021 15:15:09

Thanks for the replies - i will get a bit more info and some measurements plus a picture of the WNMG insert (the 06 and the 08 ) next to it.

19/05/2021 15:54:39

I have a large boring bar but for the life of me I can't seem to work out what insert it takes - From the shape I assumed the WNMG type but neither the 06 or 08 fit.

Or is it an internal threading insert and its not a boring bar

Can anyone help please.img_5602.jpg

Thread: Chuck back plate blank
22/02/2021 15:53:50

Hi - I'm pretty good at cutting tapers now having been "thrown" in at the deep end if you like with my Herbert Tapered Milling machine.

Setting up for the taper is the easy bit - the boredom of removing the metal is the hardest part to endure.

Theres plenty of "how too" videos on Youtube and believe me Ive watched them all...... Yawn.....

I am constantly on Ebay always looking - Plenty of L0 and L1 but the baby is proving harder to source.

22/02/2021 08:48:21

I looked everywhere on the Ebay and came up with the nothing like that - that is exactly what I'm after.

I'll send them a message now. When you search there own web site it doesn't come up.... maybe it's me.

I'm not fussed if it was an unfinished project, a casting, billet or a finished article - I just wanted a L00 backplate.

21/02/2021 16:45:38
Posted by JasonB on 21/02/2021 16:13:14:

Rotagrip do them though not cheap

Exactly what I want to make my own - .....

I think the RDG ones are too small for the L00 taper - unless i'm looking at the wrong thing.

21/02/2021 15:49:44

Anyone know where I can get a blank to make a backplate for my chuck, its to suit a L00 taper - Harrison 140.

Seems to be a serious lack of L00 taper backplates.

Thread: Confused ....Advice needed rotary table vs dividing head
19/02/2021 15:32:19

as the upper.

Apologies for the poor photos and fingers crossed I've got the sums right. (Maths isn't my strong point.)

Dave

Well I think that just about puts that to bed - and as for the above comment - you could have fooled me.... LOL

I thank everyone for their contribution to this thread - I'm sure somewhere along the way I sort of got an answer to my question. I think the answer was - sell the Mill and buy a puppy much less to worry about.

18/02/2021 08:39:27

PS - I do know why but when someone that doesn't know what the picture is of, then it does confuse very quickly.

18/02/2021 08:33:24

Is it just me (as in Me) - why when you look at this picture the line a 12 o'clock is straight up and down but when you turn the picture through 45 degrees the new 12 o'clock line is not.....

Have I discovered a floor in the dividing disc design or is it just an Illusion....... Spooky....

And also - why the line at the 6 o'clock position has half the amount of holes when you look at the picture as posted - Anyone have Pythagoras's phone number I think hes missed a trick with this.

18/02/2021 08:23:04

Phew - thanks for that.

I'm never going to be sure I will ever have to rotate my table/Head....(when i get one) by 5.29 degrees, but when I do I will know how to work out which plate hole combo I will need to use.

17/02/2021 10:35:27

I was sure it was 42 - now I'm not.....

17/02/2021 10:12:09

cool......

Edited By Me. on 17/02/2021 10:36:02

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate