By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Me.

Here is a list of all the postings Me. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: DRO scale Modification
19/09/2021 13:09:50

Thanks for the reply. Yes I’m pretty sure if my measurements and 50mm off the end will make it much more usable.
my glass strip is vertical in its slot and not angled like the ones in the YT videos. But I’m sure that won’t make a difference.

19/09/2021 09:33:09

Great - thanks all for the Link and the shorter description elanman - I think I will give it a go....... Maybe..... ?

18/09/2021 22:11:38

Brought them from Chronos - there the Glass type - If I could reduce the length by 50mm it would fit so much easier.

18/09/2021 21:12:16

Finally i'm getting around to fitting my new DRO to my mill. The smallest scale I could buy for my Y axis was 300mm - It really needs to be 250mm and if it was it would fit on the table much easier without sticking out which could potentially get damaged.

Is it possible to cut the scale shorter - and if so can any of the knowledgable out there describe the method.

Thread: Fixture plate ideas
16/09/2021 11:52:38
Posted by John MC on 15/09/2021 17:48:45:

Would that be a Herbert 0V? Mine had a single tee slot, I added a second slot midway between the existing slot and the front of the table.

I considered other options, a plate with three tee slots, would reduce vertical capacity too much, likewise a plate with an array of threaded holes. The latter idea would have been a pain to use, clearing the swarf out of the threaded holes!

John

Hi John

Mines the Herbert 10s - and research seems to suggest it might be the only one still working...... I have made contact with another Herbert user but he has the 10 - It seems the 10s is slightly different.

I had considered cutting another slot but I was steered away from the idea by others - I did wonder why it wasn't recommended as the table is almost 1" thick - now I can see in the last picture the harrow table with 3 slots I can't see any reason why not to mill another slot in my table.

15/09/2021 15:05:21

Thanks for the suggestions - the table on the Mill even after almost 80 years is still very flat - I like the idea of the separate tee slotted plates - but I also want to make my own..... I'm mad like that.

15/09/2021 12:35:25

My 1940 Alfred Herbert Mill is in the unfortunate position to only have 1 tee slot through the middle of the table - at the moment i am living with it and I get by.

Can anyone suggest ideas for a fixture plate (if that's what its called) to bolt to the table in order to give me more flexibility in holding things to the table.

My thoughts are for a 30-40mm thick steel plate approx 150mm deep by 300mm long with 3 tee slots machined into it and then this bolted down to my table with the existing tee slots.

Thoughts please.

Thread: They see you coming
10/09/2021 18:37:36

Driving in France very regularly its a requirement to carry a set of spare bulbs - maybe in other countries as well but I don't drive in those...

A new headlight bulb for my car is approx £120 - I'm not carrying a spare as a just in case measure..... I know, i'm a rebel....

Thread: It would be nice to know........
09/09/2021 09:46:57

Why does a milling machine have a reversing motor.... I can't see any reason why I would run the spindle on mine in reverse, but what do i know......

I'm sure there is some logical reason or am i just missing something obvious.

Thread: MT 4 1/2
04/09/2021 20:05:26
Posted by John Paton 1 on 04/09/2021 17:05:59:

Just 8 unspoken for now

I have a sneaking suspicion they won't be "unspoken" for long.

02/09/2021 12:19:57

Thanks for doing this. Thats great news.

I have PM'd you already.

30/08/2021 10:54:17

Thanks for the detailed synopsis - but not sure where the £30 price tag came from - nearest ive found are in the USA and he wants $120 each - and they are made to order rather than mass production which we all know for the community we inhabit is too small to sustain over manufacture of rarely used items

I have no problem making one - but wanted to know if anyone had a spare or unused item they wanted to sell before I went down the manufacturing route...

29/08/2021 15:38:01
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 29/08/2021 14:24:19:

Do you need one or just want one?

Tony

I need one because i want one ! - In my eyes that's the same thing..... I'm sad like that..... its like having a Porsche 911 turbo and not having a whale bone fin.....

29/08/2021 13:29:55

Have had positive result from a generous member - but, it might not be what I need - we are going to investigate if it solves my problem.

If not - and as its such a thing that loads have lying around and don't often use - is there any one else out there that would want to part with a MT4.5 taper insert....

28/08/2021 18:26:33
Posted by gary on 28/08/2021 09:18:28:

me. if you let me have the measurements i might have one which was bought in error for my harrison m250.

Like a fool - I thought that would be an easy thing to do - as I don't have anything to measure I can't send you the measurements .... Doh....

From the chart the 4.5 MT is 1.5" on the gauge line - down to 1.266" - over a length of 4 1/2 inches - 0.6240 taper per foot. Hope that helps and PM me with the details - if you want to part with it.

28/08/2021 13:05:57
Posted by gary on 28/08/2021 09:18:28:

me. if you let me have the measurements i might have one which was bought in error for my harrison m250.

Thanks for the offer - I will let you know the measurements later.

disgust A 5C collet has the same dimensions - am I reading that right ?

27/08/2021 22:05:39

In need of a MT 4 1/2 adapter for my Harrison 140 - looked for ages on the net for one to turn up but as its such a stupid incomprehensible size seems impossible to find - I'm still trying to work out why Harrison used such a stupid size the 140 -but can't do much about it.....

I'm going to make my own as a project so was wondering if any had done tis and any tips or tricks... ?

Thread: Moving vice on mill table....
20/08/2021 15:44:21

All done - reduced the tee nuts by 2mm seems to have done the trick.

06/08/2021 12:45:50

Thanks for the guidance - I made the tee nuts with a 10mm thread and turned the 12mm stud on one end the approx thickness of the tee nut to 10mm and threaded it - that way the stud will butt up to the tee nut when it reaches the change in thickness.

I'll have a look tonight and modify the tee nuts and see if this fixes the problem.

06/08/2021 12:05:22

Wow thanks for the prompt replies- I made the tee nuts myself to suit the slots in the table and yes they use studs not bolts.

I did consider that the base of the vice is locking with the top of the tee nut and this could be a possibility - the tee nut is pretty close to the top of the table - the Mill came with what looks like a modified bolt to act as a tees nut so I made new tee nuts to suit - it was fine with the ground down bolt but not very professional - I'll start by milling a few MM of the top of the tee nut and see how i go.

Now where did i put those old bolts....... !

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate