By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bo'sun

Here is a list of all the postings Bo'sun has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Pre-Paint Degreasing
05/09/2023 12:58:23

Bernard,

You're probably right, and very gritty pumice powder.

05/09/2023 10:08:53

Graham, mentions the use of Ajax. Has anyone tried getting hold of "Ajax", or "Vim" for that matter. Last time I looked, Vim seemed very pricey for what is was. Or maybe I'm just out of touch!

Thread: Identifying plastics
04/09/2023 16:02:12

Degradation/ageing is a big issue with plastics. I've seen examples that bear little resemblance to the originals. So straight identification might be a problem.

Thread: Tent garages - for a classic car
01/09/2023 17:21:53

Hello Simon,

Give plenty of consideration to ventilation. A PVC/plastic garage is almost certainly going to sweat. Not good for any vehicle, let alone a lovingly restored classic.

Sorry I can't help you with the hardware itself.

Good luck.

Thread: Myford ML10 single wheel knurling tool.
26/08/2023 16:07:21

Hi Andrew,

Why just a single wheel?

Thread: Belt/disc sander
24/08/2023 14:32:52

Thanks Vic,

The discs on my 12" Disc Sander don't last too long when sanding metal, but I suspect suitable discs for metal are few and far between (if at all). Also, as stated previously, being a sander designed for wood, the speed quickly gets the metal very hot.

Thread: What adhesive?
24/08/2023 09:25:31

Good morning All,

I like the idea of cutting a recess for the magnets, but the material is only 1/16" thick. Yes, a 1/32" recess would be possible, but the steel strip is quite narrow, and I fear any recess(s) would weaken it.

I'll experiment with JB Weld and bear in mind the comment from Dave Halford regarding the plating on the magnets.

Thread: Belt/disc sander
24/08/2023 09:15:18

Are there different grades of belts/discs for wood and metal?

Thread: What adhesive?
23/08/2023 15:51:11

Good point Jason,

Not fuel, but cutting fluid. I'm making some removable way covers.

23/08/2023 13:46:55

Good afternoon All,

As the title suggests, what adhesive to fix Neodymium Magnets to Mild Steel?

I have Araldite and JB Weld. Are there better options?

I guess roughing-up (and degreasing of course) both surfaces would be a good idea.

Thread: Old newbie getting back in the swarfe manufacturing game
18/08/2023 11:53:26

Hi Malcolm,

Have a look a the Warco 9576 Base Plate. The product description implies that the WM240B does not have tee slots.

Hope this helps.

18/08/2023 09:59:29

Good morning Malcolm,

I don't think the WM240B has tee slots in the cross slide. This is likely to be a hindrance if you wish to use a "milling slide", "rear tool post", etc. Having said that, I suspect a little reworking of the cross slide might be possible. But not something you may necessarily want to do on a new machine and invalidate the warranty.

Thread: What Paint
12/08/2023 18:21:25

I'm not sure if "T-Wash" is the correct name, but it turns the bright galvanized finish a sort of black colour ready for painting.

If I remember correctly, Hammerite have such a product.

On the other hand, the cheap way, and if you're not in a hurry, would be to wait and let it naturally oxidize for about 6 months before painting.

Thread: Grinding wheel bores?
11/08/2023 15:49:54

Coincidence maybe, but at the moment (literally) I'm also looking for good quality wheels for my 6" ELU grinder, so any suggestions would help me too.

Thanks

Thread: Are All Our Heritage Industries being Outsourced now
10/08/2023 16:55:05

It's great to see Dominic Chinea (from the Repair Shop for those wondering who he is) championing the cause for "heritage craft skills". Whilst I applaud him, and anyone else doing similar things, I fear it may just be a little too late.

Oh, and don't get me started on apprenticeship schemes.

Thread: Lathe Drive Systems and Belts
10/08/2023 16:47:06

I would try to avoid the issue of "motor bounce" if you can. My bandsaw suffers from it, and it drives me round the bend. So much so, I'm in the process of trying to fix it with some form of positive belt tension adjustment.

Thread: Why has my mild steel bent
03/08/2023 17:38:29

I was given to believe that happened to Cold Rolled Steel.

Thread: I like a nice tool but..
02/08/2023 09:15:51

KNEW also have a flat frame design that's not 3D titanium, and at a much more reasonable price. I have one and it works perfectly. Why I'd want a fancy 3D titanium one is beyond me.

It strikes me, that for some people, it's worthless unless their peer group know what they paid for it.

Thread: Damaged Screws & QCTP help!!!
29/07/2023 15:39:38

I'd also say metric, but the 5.69mm diameter is worrying.

Thread: Experian - an eye opener.
28/07/2023 10:08:09
Posted by Robin Graham on 28/07/2023 00:40:13:

A couple of months or so ago my pension provider sent me a letter saying that there had had been a data breach at Capita, who they had unwisely trusted to manage their (my) data. Private Eye calls them Crapita with good reason. All my personal details are now out in the wild in a collated form it seems.

Rabbie Graeme.

CRAPITA, what an apt name. They are absolutely hopeless, but that's what you get when the service is cheap. I guess that's why organisations farm out their admin to them.

It worries me, because my company pension is administered by Crapita. They also looked after some financial stuff when I worked for Essex County Council. Boy, what a shower.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate