By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for DiogenesII

Here is a list of all the postings DiogenesII has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 1920s Lathe spindle removal
16/06/2023 16:27:35

Is that a slotted nut outboard of the small gear?

Thread: New Toy - Migatronic KME 550
15/06/2023 07:04:07
Posted by Jelly on 07/02/2023 12:45:43:

.. .. ..The additional challenge today would be getting a sufficiently uncomplicated engine that I don't have to reverse engineer the ECU of a car into the bargain... good condition mechanically controlled diesel lumps are getting increasingly rare on the ground.. .. ..

..200 tdi L-R lump.. ..still around, still being re-manufactured, good supply of spares..

Thread: Rolling road construction
11/06/2023 09:45:46

It's not obvious (to me) how it's done - if no-one has a clearer idea, maybe you could try ringing Station Road and asking..

Thread: Brought some rubbish back from the "recycling centre"
09/06/2023 18:44:15

I always thought it was not so much to do with public liabilities, as the terms of the contracts entered into with the recycling companies who deal with the waste; I'm sure that they're very keen to recover every possible bit of metal that they can, even tho' they seem able to pick and choose the rest (not so keen on tyres, here, you can't dispose of them at our tip anymore)

Has anyone's Council Tax charges diminished since we contracted out recycling (and everything else)..?

09/06/2023 06:28:12

You're a lucky man - you can't get anything out of ours, nothing is 'saved' once it has left the depositor's hand.

You can't even bribe the staff..

Thread: Amateurish Engine
08/06/2023 13:45:35

.. that's truly impressive, I can see I need to find a lot more workshop discipline if I'm to do a fraction of that before time's up..

..these builds you post are really helpful, not just the tips and advice, I mean the whole sense of directness and planning behind it.. 👍

07/06/2023 21:31:55

That's a nice one - I think you've absolutely nailed the '1880's-scientific' theme there.

How many engines do you think you might have made now?

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
06/06/2023 20:14:35
Posted by Jon Lawes on 06/06/2023 18:09:16:

It does sound like you Saw the Texans that the Services recently got. Turboprop, not quiet, and we had a couple at Yeovilton today.

Edited By Jon Lawes on 06/06/2023 18:10:06

Ah, yes, I did get a sense of the 'camelback' look as it banked away and it's pretty distinctive.. Thanks for the confirmation..

06/06/2023 11:05:28

Thanks Martin, that's exactly it - I had no idea such a thing even existed..

We've been a bit 'eyes to the sky' due to the Spitfire move to Kemble..

06/06/2023 06:56:17

Aah, thanks, but no, I'm fairly sure this was prop-driven (of course I should have said that in my OP - sorry)

The L-39 looks fun, though.

..The sound of the plane I saw was more like a Fairey Gannet or something of that ilk and I would have thought probably a contemporary..?

05/06/2023 20:28:16

What low-wing, smallish aircraft sounds like both a jet and a supercharged piston-engine combined?

..over the Cotswolds this afternoon, mid-to-dark blue beneath, clipped wings and tailplane..?

I only saw it from beneath..

Thread: Kuroda UPB-3S Boring and Facing Head
05/06/2023 20:09:01

Nice, it's funny how you can scour the country for months and then the ideal thing turns up on the doorstep.

Even the box looks straight which is a good sign for something from a works.

Thread: Collet chuck
05/06/2023 17:41:53

Apologies if this is a Granny & eggs situation, but have you tried rotating it around the three different hole positions on the backplate?

..there's usually a 'right' one..

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
04/06/2023 17:21:06

..depression & suicide.. ..the future of AI..?

Thread: Question about tramming a vertex vice on the mill
04/06/2023 07:19:35

You are right, the X axis must be set at accurate 90* to the Y axis as a first step - the vice is just a workholding fixture, and should be set-up afterwards.

Thread: End cutting in mill
01/06/2023 22:06:01

Apologies for shouting.. ..it bothered me that an elderly brass fitting subject to hydraulic pressure is 'repeatedly leaking'..

- please do satisfy yourself that it's not compromised in other ways that may be harder to detect..

blush

01/06/2023 18:23:55

If you know a brake fitting is defective, you should REPLACE IT.

..sheesh..

Thread: Frozen Morse Taper Arbor
30/05/2023 20:13:56

^^^ it might not work in the same way - running a bead around the inside of a hollow tube will 'pull it in' as it cools, and they often just drop out - we used to use the same method to get the outer races of bearings out of housings that you couldn't get a drift or puller into..

Edited By DiogenesII on 30/05/2023 20:14:42

Edited By DiogenesII on 30/05/2023 20:15:09

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
30/05/2023 18:52:09
Posted by Steve Withnell on 30/05/2023 10:50:45:

I started the restoration of a 6 cylinder BTH magneto. Got the points and advance/retard all freed off and working. Plan is to drive it off a small electric motor as a demonstrator set.

I realised I don't know if the magneto is driven at the same rpm as the engine - the gearing in the mag looks like 6:1 so it should be. ChatGPT says it should be the same - but chatGPT makes stuff up.

Any experienced views?

Edited By Steve Withnell on 30/05/2023 10:51:02

Could be driven off a camshaft at half engine speed?

Thread: Help Please: Top-Slide Angle Setting.
30/05/2023 06:58:18

I use just use a plain 'straight' bar (the type that used to come with Mercer / Verdict / Starrett etc) that clamps into the tool slot - it's about 1/2" X 1/4" and 2 1/2" long, with the usual type of cross-drilled sleeve for the indicator spigot at the business end.

I use quite a sensitive lever indicator, a tenths one, because a couple of thou error in smaller MT's will let you know that it isn't quite good enough when you come to fit them, and it doesn't seem to be much harder work to find a null-point with one of these than it is with a coarser one.

I set the centre height of the stylus ball by eye against the point of a tool-height gauge which seems to work well enough.

The backstop I use in the GH600 uses a fabricated brass 'cap' that screws onto the small amount of thread at the back end of the spindle, through which the screwed rod is threaded, with a 'top-hat' collar to lock it off.

The nose insert is a loose 'guide' that fits in the spindle nose to stop the rod flapping about.

I'm not saying it's the best-ever design, just offering it as food for thought..

img_2217.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate