By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Chris Pearson 1

Here is a list of all the postings Chris Pearson 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Help needed with my maths please
16/05/2023 16:19:13

When I installed my Myford 254 in a room which measures 2.6 x 2.0 m with the door at the end of a long wall, the tricky part was getting the engine hoist out from underneath it. The only possibility seemed to be to leave it on some paving bricks.

Then I had to remove the bricks.

I used a 2-ton bottle jack and a bit of 2" x 2" (maybe bigger) timber. I drilled a hole in the end of the timber so that it could not slip off the jack, and made a notch in the other end. This enabled me to jack up each end separately just enough to remove one brick (or pair of bricks) at a time.

As suggested above, you would need to cut the pallet.

The advantage of my method is that only around half of the weight of the lathe had to be supported.

I would not even think of supporting it under a bar. It could bend catastrophically, or the whole rig could topple.

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
15/05/2023 20:01:07
Posted by Samsaranda on 12/05/2023 17:55:10:

Chris

Had a similar problem when the local Honda garage serviced my Jazz, checked under the bonnet when I got it home, the air cleaner top had not been secured and was floating free, standards today are so slack, it’s all about rushing as many services through to get the money in. Dave W

I think that it is the modern idea of being grafted to one's mobile. 'Phone rings and everything else stops.

I take mine to work 'cos it is needed to verify my identity from time to time, but why work does not supply a device is a mystery. Still, whilst actually working, it has to be off or silent.

I take it on long journeys in case of a breakdown.

Otherwise it sits on my desk.

11/05/2023 20:45:04

Drove home from work (16 miles or so) at no more than 20 mph.

The car was serviced last week and some twonk neglected to tighten the screws which hold the undertray with the result that at higher speeds the air was getting over it and it was hitting the ground.

Thankfully, the sump plug has been properly tightened.

Thread: Ideas for rekindling the love
07/05/2023 23:32:26
Posted by John Doe 2 on 07/05/2023 23:21:36:

mix with young people.

Essential!

And I think that they like old folk. I did when I was wee. Problem is that parents get in the way!

07/05/2023 22:02:53
Posted by Chris Evans 6 on 07/05/2023 08:24:05:

Upshot of this was being diagnosed with Parkinson's, my wife now wants to move house to the town and get a bungalow or apartment but I know once I give up the workshop my life will be over. Recently taking on a few jobs for friends has really helped me.

From one Chris to another, I understand. I did what I set out to do with my Alvis today, though it finished in the evening sun. The only history of the car (which I bought at auction) that I know is that the previous owner had spent many years restoring it, but Parkinson's had taken over and he had had to abandon it. That was evident in several aspects which needed to be finished off or re-done, the most recent being the magneto/off/coil switch.

I thank God that my duff shoulder is the left one - starting handles do not really work with the left arm, and the starter motor is b******d, but that is another story.

I have (as the French say) 64 years, so if I am very very lucky I have the last quarter of my life to come. I am trying not to slow down, but I cannot help it.

Last thought: I feel sure that President Biden has a significant degree of Parkinson's and he is up for a second term!!!

06/05/2023 19:21:30

Watching the Coronation. smiley

Afterwards, one of my tasks was to identify a thread of a hole which passes through a rod. I had to get out all my pitch gauges and put on a pair of loupes. 1/8" Whit is closest, but although a tap will easily go through the hole, the existing screw does appear to have been forced in.

It may be easier to replace the whole wretched thing. angry

Thread: Ideas for rekindling the love
06/05/2023 19:15:11

I can sympathize with many of the sentiments above.

I don't make models of things, but I do make things. This week's challenge is to fix the linkage between the switch on the instrument panel and the magneto/coil changeover switch on the bulkhead of my vintage Alvis. I have a deadline to meet before rallying next weekend.

The point which I want to make is that you could offer to fix things for family and friends. For me, once you have agreed to do something for somebody else, you have no excuse - you have to get on and do it.

HTH.

Thread: Chinese capstan mini-lathe
04/05/2023 23:12:50

Ah, a good old fashioned sweat shop!

01/05/2023 22:57:11

Continuing the gardening theme: notwithstanding that there is work to be done in the workshop, I trimmed more of my 9 ft conifer hedge. It isn't getting any easier as I get older and more arthritic!

But, why are badgers (I think) digging up my potato patch?

Thread: Myford Lathes
01/05/2023 17:14:40

I can recall an auction of remaining stock circa 2011. The Myford name was subsequently sold, but not the remains of the business. Although the sale was described as a "liquidation sale", it seems that the business simply ceased trading. The land was subsequently redeveloped and the company was finally dissolved and its assets (which were significant) were distributed in 2021.

So I don't think that it is true to say that Myford "went bust".

Thread: 13A plus USB adapter : not recommended
30/04/2023 22:02:55
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 30/04/2023 21:32:56:
BS1363 only covers plugs, not adaptors or equipment that plugs directly into a socket. PThe latest revision of Part 2 (sockets) now allws for chargers in sockets though.

Part 3 of BS 1363 covers adaptors.

30/04/2023 18:14:36
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 30/04/2023 14:33:52:
Posted by Chris Pearson 1 on 30/04/2023 14:21:51:

More to the point is whether it complies with BS 1363 (which certainly does specify dimensions).

It makes no claim to dont know

MichaelG.

Which was to some extent the point that I was making. If it is not certified to BS 1363, it should not be plugged into a BS 1363 socket, and a BS 1363 plug should not be plugged into it. It may even be an offence to supply it.

30/04/2023 14:21:51

More to the point is whether it complies with BS 1363 (which certainly does specify dimensions).

Thread: Myford Lathes
29/04/2023 17:45:26

If you want Myford bits and bobs, eBay is your friend. You just have to be patient. The one thing that I regret not buying from the old company was a D1-3 spindle, but I have managed to acquire just about every accessory ever made for my 254 plus.

28/04/2023 22:23:12

The dregs of the original Myford company were bought out about 11 or 12 years ago. I have done business with Christian Dickinson (the current owner) since before then and last did so a couple of weeks ago. No problems at all.

Regarding myford-lathes.com, Howard is not cheap, but you get what you pay for and once again, reliable.

Thread: Myford 254 anti vibration feet
27/04/2023 17:27:50
Posted by Circlip on 27/04/2023 10:23:04:

Anti Vibs are a necessity for mounting equipment in Submarines (Stealthy noise killers) but my workshop doesn't float so I don't need to Rock and Roll or Twist.

The problem with a lathe in a ship (above or below water) is that the deck is apt to twist, especially in rough weather. (Yes, I do know that there isn't any weather below the surface.)

Thread: Electrics Problem - Lathe
26/04/2023 10:07:53
Posted by Justin Thyme on 25/04/2023 22:47:15:
Im thinking the motor is buggered, but still curious why only one direction trips the fuse.

Bear in mind that MCBs (and fuses) trip not only if there is a short, but also if there is a sustained overload. Heat and smoke suggests the latter.

Thread: Myford 254 anti vibration feet
25/04/2023 13:29:40

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 25/04/2023 11:22:14:

Just struck me that the Myford 254 name must be a reference to the metric system, 25.4mm = 1". Poor old Myford, fancy them imagining that any of their customers would want to pay big money for a modern metric lathe...

They are put together with metric nuts and bolts.

24/04/2023 21:39:08

Mine sits on original factory feet.

In theory, the cabinet should be secured to the floor and then the lathe is levelled on the cabinet. When I say, "levelled" is does not have to be level. After all, you want the suds to drain to the back right. What you do not want (obviously) is a twisted bed.

I have never loosened my lathe's attachment to the cabinet - the combination seems to be pretty rigid. If I were to slacken off completely one of the feet, the cabinet would simply rock - it does not twist.

You would be pretty lucky to have a perfectly flat floor in your workshop, and even if it were now, it may not remain so. I suggest that the advantage of the feet is that you can get the cabinet stable on the floor and adjust for run-off. They are nothing to do with vibration.

Edited By Chris Pearson 1 on 24/04/2023 21:39:58

Thread: Lathe cutting tool height
21/04/2023 22:53:55

My inclination is that the tool should be set at the height which the manufacturer advises; and this may not be the same for a ground HSS tool compared with carbide inserts.

It also begs the question as to which surface is doing the cutting.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate