By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
29/01/2021 16:08:22

Spent the afternoon spraying some paint tests, I had decided that I didn't want the loco in Blue or Green but would go with Maroon. There are 7 class 52 (Western) locos preserved, 2 of which are in Maroon which I have always thought look good. I always assumed the Maroon was Crimson Lake but apparently not they are painted BR Maroon which is a deeper colour. I have to use some modellers licence here as there are no class 22 preserved they were all scrapped. So my 22 will be a make believe preserved loco in BR Maroon and GWR livery.

I have some Crimson Lake paint which I test sprayed but was amazed at the different shades you can get depending on the primer/undercoat colour. The lower sample below is with light grey primer and the top sample is with brown primer and is quite a lot different in depth of colour and that's the one I am going with to represent BR Maroon. Both samples are one coat of primer two of top coat though the loco may have three top coat depending on coverage and getting a uniform colour.

img_20210129_152640.jpg

img_20210129_152836.jpg

Thread: Collet runout. Is this normal
29/01/2021 07:58:39

I don't think it fair to assume all Far Eastern collet sets are rubbish, my ER25 set came with my second hand lathe and apart from one small collet been faulty the rest of the set is very good. They look to be decent quality and most importantly they are accurate. I have changed the nut for a bearing type which I find gives good grip with just a pair of C spanners tightened by hand without going to extremes.

Thread: Airbrushing Humbrol and Enamels
28/01/2021 09:19:54

Thanks guys for your advice I have both white spirit and cellulose thinners so will do a few mixes and tests and see how I get on before I paint the loco.

I also have some Isopropyl 99% alcohol does that have any uses in air brushing I guess I am thinking more for cleaning than paint thinning.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 28/01/2021 09:25:50

27/01/2021 09:22:16

Morning Guys,

I have done a reasonable amount of airbrushing over the years but I have only ever used water based paint.

I have some painting to do on the loco and will be using Humbrol and other makes of enamel and wondered if the enamel thinners recommended for Humbrol and others for both paint thinning and airbrush cleaning are safe with the O rings and seals in the brush.

I know a lot of people airbrush enamels so I guess the thinners is safe for the seals but thought I would check in case people use a particular type and avoid others.

Thanks

Ron

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
26/01/2021 09:31:06

Thanks Jeff it's coming along and not too far away now. I have taken a few close up shots for the album, here is one showing a pair of access doors and some of the grills (am I glad I had them laser cut).

Ron

img_20210126_091819.jpg

25/01/2021 13:52:24

I fell behind the last month or so but I am back on the 22 and have added the 4 cab and 4 double engine access doors. The doors need glazing but that will wait until after the finish top coat is applied. Apart from some small areas the body sides are all but finished and there is not much needed to complete the loco ends.

img_20210125_105044.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 25/01/2021 13:52:54

Thread: Thompson Engine from Scratch
23/01/2021 07:17:50

Morning Jason

Not knowing much about it I wondered why an engine running rich loses rpm and has less throttle control is it simply a case of too much fuel.?

Ron

22/01/2021 08:24:13

Great Jason, I do like the open workings rather than tucked away.

Sounds nice especially at the lower speeds there is a nice period towards the end of the video where the speed is lower with a nice put put sound.

Very nice.

Ron

Thread: Shimming Techniques
21/01/2021 07:26:32
Posted by Dr_GMJN on 21/01/2021 07:18:32:

Could Aluminium kitchen foil be used as a shim?

Don't be surprised if you break it down to chase for zero and find you get different readings, I would leave well alone but that's your decision.

21/01/2021 06:52:34

With 0.001" over 5 inches on a SX2P I would accept it and call it a day, its what I have on mine. Its up to you but don't get bogged down in chasing microns which I think on a small hobby machine is a waste of time and not necessary.

Allthough my machine measures one thou across 5 inches I recently milled a piece of bar 4.5 inches long and it ran out 0.0025" end to end which didn't surprise me.

Edited By Ron Laden on 21/01/2021 06:56:16

Thread: Advice for surface finishing
20/01/2021 10:09:53

Stuart,

Does your insert holder take DC## type inserts, maybe you know it does but worth a check.

My left and right holders from ARC take the CCMT and GT inserts and I have found those to be excellent and good pricing to, but I dont think they carry DC## inserts.

Ron

Thread: Thompson Engine from Scratch
19/01/2021 08:05:09

Very nice indeed, impressed with the fabricated frame and base.

I to look forward to the video I should imagine it will sound good.

Ron

Thread: 920 lathe noise
18/01/2021 20:19:16
Posted by Erik Shepherd on 17/01/2021 22:30:58:

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Greatly appreciated.

Got to the root of the problem - it wasn't the motor at all, but instead the belt that connects the pulley to the geartrain was criminally loose! img_1564.jpgTook the lathe apart, dropped the motor down in the mounts and now it's tight as a drum and runs 10x better. The noise was coming from the toothed belt rubbing against the pulley when the lathe stalled(which it did very easily)

Cheers

Good you found the problem Erik but a correctly adjusted toothed belt shouldnt be like you say "as tight as a drum" it needs easing back a touch. If you take the flat of the belt between your thumb and forefinger you should just be able to twist the belt through 90 degrees that should be about correct for a belt of that size.

Ron.

Thread: Benchtop lathe with power cross feed, looking to buy
18/01/2021 10:33:52

Before I fitted a cross feed to my 918 I wondered I'f it was worth the effort. Having fitted it I use it a lot even on all but small parts and always use it when parting of where it really shows its worth.

Ron

Thread: Communication
18/01/2021 09:48:16

Agree with br, a locked door sounds dangerous to me, if God forbid you had an accident or medical collapse no one could help until emergency services arrive.

18/01/2021 08:24:47

Jason beat me to it but isn't the simplest way have the door unlocked, I know what my wife would say if I told her she had to press a button or whatever before she could communicate with me.

Thread: Arc Precision Parallels - Which set?
17/01/2021 15:38:34

I have the 4 pair economy set and the tallest pair sit 2.0 mm down from the top of the jaws of ARC,s 80mm versatile vice which I also have. I also quite often use 6, 8, 10 and 12mm pairs of square tool steel depending on the job and been able to fit them in.

Ron

Thread: Heinrici without Castings
16/01/2021 07:49:19

Good chips their Jason and a nice finish, out of interest what insert type did you use, it looks uncoated but maybe not..?

Ron

Thread: Manual threading on the lathe - problems
13/01/2021 10:20:09

Hi Jim,

Just a thought but you say your dies are quality but have you checked their fit in the die holder, the tailstock die holder that I have is ok but not the die holders when the grubs are secured they dont hold the die square. I get around it but its a job on the list to turn up some new holders.

Ron

Thread: Real Bull CJ18, metal spindle drive gear (Pulley)
11/01/2021 06:37:19
Posted by Gazz on 10/01/2021 22:10:42:
Posted by Ron Laden on 09/01/2021 14:47:05:

Jason came up with the idea of going for a poly V belt between the motor and spindle pulleys instead of the toothed timing belt as originally fitted. The poly v belt could be adjusted to give enough drive but with just enough slack to allow the belt to slip in a stall, it did mean having to make two poly V drive pulleys which I produced in aluminium but it all turned out well (picture of belt and pulleys below)

dsc06417.jpg

dsc06487.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 09/01/2021 14:48:56

Dang, i was hoping i could buy those pulleys, a serpentine belt and have a crash proof set up on my lathe.

I guess i have the tool to produce most of that tho once i get the lathe up and running again, i don't have a mill or own any keyway broaches, but i do have a little 1 ton arbour press, so i could be half way there for that part (depends how much a broach kit would be for the size i need)

You don't need a broaching kit for the keyway, Jason put me onto using a piece of tool steel (picture below), I used the mill as a press I know you don't have a mill but you have your press. Jason also explained doing the same in the lathe with the pulley in the chuck, tool steel cutter in the tool post and use the carriage back and forth to make the cuts.

dsc06432.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate