By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Correctly setting up a trailing truck
15/09/2018 11:28:45

I'm currently trying to set the springing up on a trailing truck I've almost finished. What I can't work out is if the springing should be set so that the axle box is at mid travel at rest (hard to work out without the weight of the completed engine bearing down) or if I should set it so that it rests in its fully compressed position (without making the spring springbound) allowing it to follow any dips in the track when they appear.

Has anyone got any tips please? Its a 3.5 Britannia if that makes any difference. I'm using cast dummy springs with a pocketed 1mm gauge spring to the dimensions LBSC stated, I believe. I haven't made drilled the pocket for the spring yet until I've made up my mind how to set it up! I will have a little adjustability in the threaded bars making up the spring retaining posts.

Thanks, Jon.

Thread: Beer and Grapefruit
15/09/2018 11:23:57

I love a good local ale, Butcombe and the like are a great relaxing by the pub fire beer. But I've increasingly been enamoured of the Belgian ales, especially as the stronger they get the better they taste. Strong traditional british ale I find rather chewy, the Belgian beers seem to get lighter and fruitier the stronger they get... I know thats not everyones thing but sometimes it really hits the spot.

Visiting a Beer Museum in Bruge meant trying quite a few of the local varieties, they seem to have mastered they technique over the last few hundred years...

Thread: Ratchet wheel
11/09/2018 19:23:22

This might be heresy to say but have you considered buying one? They are available for steam engine lubricators and such.

I completely understand if you want to make one for the enjoyment of the process, however if you are not too wedded to that idea you can purchase one for not much money.

Thread: West Wiltshire Society of Model Engineers
06/09/2018 21:20:03

The WWSME are having their Model Engineering and Garden Railway show on Sunday the 9th, please see the attached link for details:

**LINK**

For those who can't see the link, the show is Sunday the 9th of September 2018 at the White Horse Country Park, Westbury, Wiltshire, BA13 4LX. Entry is £5 a head with children under 16 free. 10AM to 4PM.

A little bit about the WWSME:

Our Society was founded in 1965. To join us all you need is an interest in things mechanical. We have members interested in building Clocks, Sun Dials, Hot air engines, Traction Engines, & Live Steam Locomotives of all sizes. Amongst our members is a vast range of experience which is available to novices.

At The White Horse Country Park we have a permanent raised 5″ & 3.5” track, as well as our 16/32/45mm outdoor layout.

Currently we are laying a 5″ gauge ground level track.

**LINK**

Thread: Never Throw Anything Away
05/09/2018 20:26:50

With the prevalence of eBay I tend to get rid of things I could easily replace; space is at a premium and the space is often more important than the chance I'll need the item. Also the funds buy new junk to fill the gap left by the old junk!

Thread: Centaur castings arrived
05/09/2018 20:22:49

There is something immensely satisfying about seeing the castings all laid out in front of you!

I've used an instagram account to make a record of my loco build; its quite a good way of making it all chronological, and unlike a forum people can comment on the pictures but it doesn't make additional "posts",just appends yours with comments should you allow them.

Thread: Hi from the US from Bob
05/09/2018 19:40:35

Welcome Bob! (Or boB). Be interesting to have your experience of model engineering from the other side of the pond; its funny how so much is the same and yet there are variations to cracking the same nut.

Thread: Putting correct profile on someone elses wheels
04/09/2018 20:57:52

I've given the wheels 3 degrees, on closer inspection they already had a subtle profile, I'd guess at 1.5 to 2 degrees. My reprofiling took a skim off and I've done my utmost to keep them all the same size. Time will tell. Still need to make the tender and trailing truck wheels from scratch!

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
04/09/2018 20:54:49

Neil those telescope knobs look superb!

I reprofiled the Britannia wheels to give them the 3 degree profile recommended, and made more of the bogie. Very satisfying.

Thread: Cast Iron / Gunmetal
04/09/2018 20:52:54

Of the two castings I have the cast iron one seems a little nicer, which ever one I don't use I'll sell (although I doubt there is much market for individual castings!).

Thanks, I'm surprised this wasn't a subject that caused more debate, I really must try to be more controversial!

04/09/2018 11:44:22

I think the Cast Iron Vs. Gunmetal debate has been done to death with relation to cylinders, however I've got two trailing trucks for the 3.5 Britannia as I procurred two partial batches of castings. Bearing in mind it sits right below the firebox (if that makes a difference), which casting (GM or CI) would you use for the trailing truck? The cost isn't a consideration here as I already have both sat in front of me. To clarify by trailing truck I'm specifically referring to the pivoting casting which carries the axle boxes under the cab.

Thanks for your help, I do appreciate it.

03/09/2018 14:02:44

Useful, thank you chaps. I guess I'll just make a stub mandrel to run in the centre of the wheel, and cut a tool to the right profile. Thank you.

Thread: Vega Twin Completed
03/09/2018 12:27:32

Lovely bit of work that, excellent.

03/09/2018 12:24:49

I have a partially built 3.5 gauge Britannia which I'm currently working on. Only the main frames, front bogie and wheels have been made by the previous owner before they passed away; I took over from there. Most of my time so far has been redoing the work done so far; its been quite variable in quality.

The previous owner has machined the wheels with a good profile to the rim and shoulder, but the tread has been machined parallel. I understand LBSC thought this wouldn't be a problem but convention seems to say otherwise. Can I just shave the profile down to a 3 degree angle to the root of the shoulder or is there more to it than that? Am I just overcomplicating this?

Thread: Are Model Engineering Exhibitions The Same
27/08/2018 12:57:23

I'm astonished at these responses. Have I been attending different shows?! laugh

Thread: Recommendations for rust prevention?
24/08/2018 13:56:49

Rightly or wrongly I use duck oil, but as mentioned before sometimes lots of sticky oil is less than desirable. More than anything I would say make sure it is covered with a breathable material, I use a couple of old bath towels. This helps to avoid condensation which in turn keeps the rust at bay. My Lathe has stayed rust free despite many years in my grandfathers unheated, partially underground workshop.

Thread: How long to build?
21/08/2018 19:11:49

I've taken a guess at between 2 and 7 years to finish my 3.5 gauge loco, but thats because its a complex one for a beginner, my free time varies as my other hobbies are seasonal (rallying for example) and I've no idea how I'm going to cope or how often I'm going to get frustrated and walk away for a fortnight!

Thread: Help Needed on Lathe
21/08/2018 19:05:30

Only that it might say the location is Germany but I suspect its China based on the sales address.

Thread: Are Model Engineering Exhibitions The Same
20/08/2018 09:54:36

RevStew, I highly recommend a club, mine is very informal and friendly. I've been made utterly welcome right from the start. If you are ever in the area of Westbury you would be made very welcome.

20/08/2018 09:53:18

Went to the Bristol Model Engineering exhibition yesterday with my son (13yo). Had a really enjoyable time, met some very friendly people, saw some fantastic machinery and a huge number of people actively encouraged my son to look at and even interact with their exhibits. My son had a go at cutting a gear, drove model boats and used a hand made pantograph to make sketches among other things, and I cam home with some parts for my Stuart engine and my Britt.

Well done to the Bristol ME exhibition and all the exhibitors. To the nay-sayers, help things improve or be part of the decline.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate