By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bought Magnetic lamp
09/03/2022 17:41:20

Most places won't match amazon due to their selling practices. I agree with paying a fair price for things but most people still have a mortgage to pay; if we push too hard on the smaller companies to match the bigger ones buying with the economies of scale they will be killed off and remove all choice from the market place.

I think they were quite good in matching you once, let alone entertaining a second attempt.

Thread: Financial surnames
09/03/2022 08:13:21

Our local Skoda dealer was called Clist and Rattle.

Thread: Angle of Clack Valves
08/03/2022 21:56:08

A good point well made

08/03/2022 19:24:11

Thank you Bill, I am a member over there, I shall try there shortly and compare the notes from here.

08/03/2022 17:13:56

I'm looking to incorporate top feeds in a boiler but don't want the spindly top feeds you often seen on the tops of 3.5" Britannias and such; they look great but I don't think my machining is quite of the required standard. As a result I figured a standard clack into a threaded bush (as per many backhead clacks) would be my best bet, albeit up higher on the side of the boiler.

How much angle from the vertical do we think a clack will tolerate before needing the assistance of a spring to close? Is it worth making them with a small spring anyway just to improve their efficiency?

I know some of this has been covered before but not this specific question, sorry to those who may have seen it all before.

Thread: Cheap silver oxide batteries.
08/03/2022 17:06:26

As noted in other threads, LR44 don't like cold workshops.

Thread: Railway station toilet signs
04/03/2022 13:44:33
Posted by br on 04/03/2022 12:48:57:

Two signs for toilets on a foreign railway station.

First one said -- This is the first class toilet.

Next one said -- The second class toilet is off the edge of platform 3.

I had no idea that modern train toilets were still releasing onto the track until quite recently. Must have been an additional horror for the track workers to face

Thread: Too lazy or too stupid?
04/03/2022 00:50:54

Can't you google the answer?

Thread: Buy a book or download free
03/03/2022 21:13:57

June,

No apologies needed, I was merely giving my perspective.

As for Bill not posting I have to disagree; his posts are often interesting and sometimes start enlightening debate. Having lots of different opinions being aired is no reason for him to withdraw from the conversation. I certainly don't think he has any more or less to offer than most of the members here.

Just like 99% of the members on this forum, his perspective and knowledge is what gives us such an interesting place to have an informed chat. Disagreements are normal and usually sorted amicably!

Jon.

03/03/2022 20:39:16

I've written a couple of books of variable quality. Most publishers of books of this type tend to pay around £1.50 per copy sold, but that varies a lot depending on how well known you are, how broad the market is etc.

I've got another book idea lined up but to be honest I've gone off the idea of spending 18 months to a year writing something, knowing full well that my sales will be severely dented as soon as people start sharing bootlegs. What's the point in putting in the work if people will steal it rather than pay for it? I can't pay the mortgage with good wishes.

Thread: edm machines
01/03/2022 21:03:53

I don't think I'll ever know everything about a subject. However if I did I'd never proclaim I did for fear of being considered obnoxious. The only subject I know definitively is the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Thread: Mechanism with spiral spring
01/03/2022 02:33:43

I've always liked the mechanism inside an automatic centre punch. Maybe that sort of design would work here.

Thread: edm machines
01/03/2022 02:31:56
Posted by noel shelley on 01/03/2022 00:52:26:

Your machine looks good and seems to work well, that it was easy to make - may be ! That it was cheap, is less clearly proved. Noel.

The gentleman is a Guru, I'm sure we will find out shortly.

Thread: Number stamps quality.
28/02/2022 00:54:48

No matter how slow and careful I try to be mine always end up looking like a randsom note.

Thread: hi from Belfast ...
25/02/2022 12:49:56

As before, don't rush to bin it. Firstly a Myford Vertical slide is not a cheap attachment, and secondly it gives you the ability to do basic small milling tasks in the lathe, so binning (!!) or selling it will only reduce what you can do with your new investment.

Thread: stuff that came with my lathe ...
25/02/2022 12:43:19

You know your own needs better than anyone, but I would suggest you seriously consider keeping hold of the gears and the four jaw; I reckon you may find you need them sooner than you think. Losing the ability to screwcut really reduces the amount of projects you can get to grips with. I didn't think I'd do much but I reckon I do it every couple of months or so now.

The four jaw is invaluable for holding square or odd shaped stock, or even just getting round objects properly true (something that a 3 jaw is not brilliant at). That may not be an issue right now, but who knows what little jobs may lurk on the horizon....

Thread: Acceptable run-out on Axminster SX1 milling machine?
25/02/2022 06:26:09
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 24/02/2022 16:49:04:

The main problem is that to sell gear that is 100% tested at the factory will easily increase the price several times.

The high precision collets and holders mentioned by Andrew are no doubt selected by such a process.

Because we hobbyists won't play silly prices, we have to accept there's always a chance of getting products that are out of specification, although these days this is the exception not the rule. As demonstrated above, the responsible suppliers will refund or replace without fuss.

Neil

I agree. Also things are available at various price points to suit most pockets but obviously quality control will tail off at the cheaper end of the market. I can't afford the top end equipment but am able to machine up some of the loose tolerances on some of the kit I buy (either worn and second hand or some of the indian made equipment which has a slightly more cavalier approach to quality control) which makes it affordable to me. Some things I don't scrimp on of course.

Thread: hi from Belfast ...
24/02/2022 07:11:24

Welcome Gary, this is a great resource for information of just that type. One tip; it's quite an old forum so you may find your questions have been asked a few times before, worth searching first!

Tri Leva is a lovely lathe, I think you'll enjoy it.

Thread: Songs about Engineering
24/02/2022 07:01:08
Posted by Colin Whittaker on 24/02/2022 06:51:42:

An engineer told me before he died

as learned at the UK's foremost engineering university in the late 70's

Edited By Colin Whittaker on 24/02/2022 06:52:54

Don't make the mistake of looking up the lyrics at work (no sound on my pc). I may be in trouble now.

Typically the words NSFW are used to indicate when a post is Not Safe For Work; this is one of those times.

24/02/2022 06:31:25

The men who will not be blamed for nothing did a song called Brunel.... its good, but maybe not one for a quiet evening...

Tenuously, Locomotive Breath by Jethro Tull? Or even Heavy Horses....

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate