By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian Skeldon 2

Here is a list of all the postings Ian Skeldon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Any ideas please
25/03/2020 19:45:58

Thank you Duncan and Martin, I will try the sonic thing first, but if that doesn't work it's rolo and apple.

Thread: Cut a transverse tapered hole (Unimat milling column)
25/03/2020 19:43:52

Well done mate, helpful lot on here arn't they.

Thread: scam alert
25/03/2020 19:40:06
Posted by Martin of Wick on 25/03/2020 19:32:22:

Here is a sneaky one - may be genuine but it was tripped by my paranoia circuits.

Came as a text...

'Hi, its Dave your local SSE meter reader, I cant come into your house to read the meter due to coronavirus regs etc.... please telephone me your readings to avoid an estimated account blah blah...'

Now it just so happens my account is with SSE at the moment but they always e-mail me to remind me to update my account with the correct readings each month, so immediately suspect.

If a scam, I have no doubt that anyone responding this call would be contacted in a couple of days time along the lines of......

'Oh sir, the meter reading is fine, but there appears to be a problem with your direct debit... can you confirm your bank details etc etc...and so on.'

Or the call you make is at a huge cost to you.

Thread: Free to a good home
25/03/2020 19:37:45

Your not at all wrong Bill, as I work in a hospital I am grateful that people comply with the instructions. But lets say that I thought a engineering type chap might be passing along my way, and lets say that I knew what time said man was passing along my way, and finally lets say that I left a small bag with some old bits in it just on my drive way and when I next looked core blimey Mary Poppins they were gone. wink

No contact, distance observed etc, failing that if someone genuinely wants them but doesn't feel it is right to collect them under the current situation, I fully understand and will keep them for that persong until we are through this current nightmare.

Thread: Any ideas please
25/03/2020 19:31:54

Mmmm couldn't edit the last post so erm make that quite a large rip.

25/03/2020 19:30:42

Hi,

Whilst tidying my workshop this afternoon I noticed two things, firstly the damned mice are back and secondly I have a small rip in the rubber sheet that protects the vertical slide from swarf. My questions are this,

Firstly is there anything I can put down to make the mice want to go and live or at least chew things, somewhere else? if now what bait works best in a trap?

Secondly where have you found to be the best (err cheapest I guess) to but a small rubber sheet from?

Many thanks,

Ian

Thread: Free to a good home
25/03/2020 19:20:51

Ah ok thanks Bill. Yeah I can't find the time to get these boxed up and send them with a courier i'm afraid so it has to be collection.

25/03/2020 18:58:35

Ahh ok, for some reason I thought the tubes inside the boiler ran along the length.

25/03/2020 18:28:51

Hi,

Some time back I came by some bits and bobs from the good lady of a model engineer no longer with us. I have what I believe to be parts for a boiler(s) and as I can't see me ever making use of them for the intended purpose I thought maybe someone on here could.

So boiler 1 is, 105.6mm OD x 114mm long and has a 28mm hole in it.Also there are two end caps which would need squeezing into the internal diameter.

boiler 2 is, 76.8mm OD x 147mm long and has three holes in it 22mm, 11.2mm and 8.8mm

boiler 3 is, 57mm OD 147 long and has a 27.7mm hole in it.

First pipe is 31.8mm OD and about 250mm long, second pipe is 28mm OD and aprox 200mm long.

If interested all of the above free but will have to be collected from Crewe in Cheshire. Maybe someone could tell me what the spiral or helix pattern of spot holes are for Note, they are only marked and not drilled to any depth.

Thanks,

Ian

bolier.jpg

Thread: Resin 3D Printer first results.
24/03/2020 13:05:28
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 24/03/2020 12:39:55:
Posted by Ed Duffner on 24/03/2020 01:20:52:

Actually, they're meant to be bolts Bazyle. laugh Some of them came out ok.

So ... What thread are they devil

MichaelG.

Very quick, I like that laugh

Thread: Coronavirus
22/03/2020 20:35:22

My chance of survival might get seriously tested soon, I work full time in our local hospital and also part time as a policeman, whatever the out come I hope the morons out there grasp how serious the situation is before it's too late

Thread: vfd question
22/03/2020 20:16:38

@Neil, I must admit that I am slowly replacing any terminal strip I find at home with wago connectors, it's a hit in term of costs but piece of mind and all that.

22/03/2020 20:14:57

Without wishing to offend anyone, could someone post in a link to what they consider an equivalent spec VFD but of better quality. Reason being I may go down that route if any of my current motors fail and it would be good to see the difference in costs.

22/03/2020 16:29:23
Posted by Martin of Wick on 22/03/2020 15:52:12:

Indeed, in that case we are agreed...

...VFDs in general are relatively high risk devices that need to be installed and used with considerable care.

A fact that no one would dispute...

I think it's also fair to say that some of these devices are not that simple to configure even for the none idiots. It would seem that some come with more useful information on configuring them than others and maybe this is reflected in pricing?

Thread: Measuring size for vee belts
21/03/2020 21:20:17

Sorry if I have missed it in the previous posts but if you say which belts for which machine, it might be that someone on here has the information you want ?

Thread: Lathe levelling
21/03/2020 21:15:11

Whilst chasing out the last thou of taper on my Chester I discovered that even a very slight twist in the bed would result in waisting of the test piece. It was only a thou an a arf out but definitely the same dimension at both ends and slightly thinner in the middle of the cut. Thinking it through logically twisting will raise or lower the tool height at the stock end of the work, then as it travels along the cut it will dive or climb depending on the twist and be back on dead centre in the middle and thus remove the most material. It meant having to start all over again and shim the head to get rid of the very, very slight nod in the headstock.

Thread: Sieving
21/03/2020 21:08:15

I think I have a lot in common with Duncan, I can make so many different flavours with ease. Mainly because I have tried and got the same results as Neil.

Thread: Proxon KS230 splitter blade jams
20/03/2020 21:37:51

From my days of using a bench mounted wadkin circular saw, the riving knife had to be ridgid and set close to the back edge of the blade, a little thinner than the cut being produced was ok so long as it wasn't much and the two faces either side of the new cut could not come together and throw the work back out at you !

Thread: Sound recording
20/03/2020 21:27:52

Some good advice there, I will look at both of the options mentioned. If I can record it at roughly the level I can here it then I can present a case and get the problem sorted.

Many thanks for the help,

Ian

Thread: Do your bit and help each other
20/03/2020 20:29:31

Hopefully we will all come out the other side of this horrible situation in good health. I am doing ok and I am happy to help others where possible.

Edited By Ian Skeldon 2 on 20/03/2020 20:30:02

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate