By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Brian H

Here is a list of all the postings Brian H has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flat spring for Traction Engine
23/01/2016 15:22:29

Many years ago I needed to make springs for a Clayton Lorry and found a small firm in Sheffield that made springs for false legs etc. This was the correct shape with rounded edges and supplied not hardened so could still be put through rollers to give it shape but was still springy enough.

I've tried to find the company but without success but did find this company that supplies small quantities and accepts Paypal or credit cards.

http://springsteelstock.co.uk/

As usual, I have no connections with this firm whatsoever.

Thread: New Member-Old Model Engineer
21/01/2016 09:48:40
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 20/01/2016 21:22:55:

Hi Brian

Dont know why but your name rang a bell, or maybe it was the unusual engine why you have five could you pst a few photos please.

H

Hello Harry, I've not had chance to investigate how to add pictures on this site and my webpage is out of action at the moment but I'll see what I can do.

Thread: Sourcing a small spring
21/01/2016 09:36:29

I've had similar problems in the past but a local spring manufacturer ,www.ashfield-springs.com have always been very helpful and supplied the odd spring as a free sample. Might be worth a try.

Thread: New Member-Old Model Engineer
21/01/2016 09:26:40
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 20/01/2016 21:32:16:

Hi Brian - 1932 RN (one of the last)
BobH

Hello Bob; mine's also an RN but one of the first being manufactured on 31 Dec 1931, although I have my doubts about that as the body number is RN493.

20/01/2016 20:30:44

Hello all, My name is Brian Hutchings and I have been a model engineer for ever!

My claim to fame is that I won an ME Gold Medal many years ago for a Fowell Box Patent Traction Engine.

I also have a dabble in Austin Seven cars, the present one being a 1931 saloon.

Thread: Simple CAD software.
03/08/2015 17:02:32

I've been using an old version of a program called DesignCAD 3D Max Plus for a number of years but very off & on, with the emphasis on the OFF.

I have only every used it in 2D to produce drawings for the workshop and so I've been looking at an upgrade to the latest 2D version having established that this would still recognise drawings produced by the 3D version.

Does anyone have any experience of using these programs or are there better ones?

Thread: Number series drills - history and origins
02/08/2015 21:07:42

The words " can of worms" springs to mind on this question as there are so many different systems depending on the intended use of the wire or sheet.

If you can get a look at a Machinery's Handbook you will see what I mean.

Thread: Which oil for quenching ?
02/08/2015 20:56:06

I'd be inclined to try a heat treatment company, who will have the correct oil. In my apprenticeship days it was whale oil but I would guess that is difficult to obtain nowadays!

Thread: brass
02/08/2015 17:01:04

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the impossibility of silver soldering ali-bronze. It would be a shame to turn up a set of bushes only to find that the solder does not take.

Thread: Making a simple boiler.
31/07/2015 20:56:48

I could well be several years out of date here but, my understanding is that amateur made copper boilers do not require mill certs if they have been silver soldered but steel boilers need the mill certs, especially if welded and then only by a certified welder.

29/07/2015 20:39:42

Hello Peter and others who may be thinking about boiler making. I would suggest a look at the Tubal Cain book mentioned earlier and also the K.N.Harris book called Model Boilers and Boilermaking.

It would also be an idea to check on the insurance and boiler testing procedure, especially if one is hoping to steam up in public.

Whichever way you choose, all the best with it and you know where to come to gain more information.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate