By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Simon Robinson 4

Here is a list of all the postings Simon Robinson 4 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What’s the best diesel stabiliser/ additive for car?
27/02/2021 12:27:00

Due to lockdown and other things I’ve not been using my diesel fiat panda for a while not since last September. It’s got nearly a full tank and I’m concerned the diesel is getting stale. I’ve heard that stale diesel can be bad for the engine. The fuel smells ok from the filling nozzle. And the engine ran fine last week, no misfiring or smoke.

Are there any good diesel stabiliser or additives that are recommended to keep diesel from going stale. For example will regular Redex diesel additive be sufficient?

Thread: Is there an easy way to make lots of scale model seats?
13/01/2021 22:00:14

Hi

Im thinking of building a 1:72 Boeing 747SP cutaway model. The problem is that’s 185 seats.

Is there an easy way to make so many seats?

Thread: How can a steel thermos drinks flask fail?
09/11/2020 20:19:37
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 09/11/2020 19:08:05:

Hi, the price really does reflect how long they will keep the contents hot. My 1 litre one that I used when out on site work would stay to hot to drink all day if it wasn't opened, but would still be hot enough for making a mug of coffee at the end of the day after using it at dinner time. I only ever put boiling hot water in it and make tea or coffee when needed. I think it cost me about £35.00 four or so years ago and it still works fine, not that I do site work anymore, but it's handy when out and about, especially at the present time where you don't have to mix with too many other people.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 09/11/2020 19:10:56

Is it a steel or glass flask?

09/11/2020 12:48:07
Posted by Howard Lewis on 09/11/2020 11:01:03:

Possibly, the seal between inner and outer has failed, so that it is no longer a vacuum flask, just having air as insulation between the vessels.

It is probably unrealistic to expect a metal vacuum flask to have a thermal performance equal to that of a silvered glass one.

The mass of metal of the inner vessel is probably greater, and is unlikely to be silvered like the glass ones, so heat will not be reflected back into the liquid contents..

Plus unless the metal inner vessel is insulated form the outer, as it is in the silvered glass vaccuum flask, heat will be conducted away, degrading performance.

FOR They don't break when dropped. Probably cheaper and easier to make.

AGAINST Less efficient.

We pay our money, and make our choice.

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 09/11/2020 11:03:35

I thought the inner and outer stainless flask would be welded where they join, Unless they are just pressed and glued.

09/11/2020 10:25:32

My stainless steel flask is not keeping my tea & coffee hot. When I poured it this morning the flask felt hot on the outside indicating heat transfer. Now less than 2 hrs later tea is just luke warm.

I can understand glass flasks falling due to hairline cracks but how can a sealed stainless steel flask lose its insulation?

Could it be the cap seal?

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 09/11/2020 10:38:28

Thread: £1000 to make a Spitfire aircraft fuel tank gauge. Can it be done cheaper?
12/10/2020 19:29:05

Just started watching Spitfire factory on channel 4. I saw that making your own Spitfire fuel tank gauge system would cost around £1000. The part looks relatively simple. With the right machines etc could it be done cheaper and would this part have to be made of aviation grade aluminium?

Thread: What’s best glue for joining wood to PVC pipe?
21/06/2020 14:45:36

Hi

What glue would you recommend for joining wood to PVC pipe? Also what is the best primer to paint on the PVC so the paint does not scratch off?

Also can I use epoxy resin to smooth the join between the PVC pipe and wood? 

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 21/06/2020 14:47:00

Thread: Can summer car tyres be used in winter?
17/06/2020 00:18:39

Today I got a set of 4 new tyres fitted. When I phoned to book the car in I was told they were mid range tyres rather than budget tyres so I paid the extra so I chose them. Got them fitted and when I got home nearly £200 lighter my neighbour told me they were summer tyres. surprise

To be honest I was not aware that there was a difference or that there were tyres for different seasons. I thought winter tyres had tiny steel studs in them and they used them in places like the Alps or Alaska. Nobody I know in Britain changes tyres at end of each season.

I don’t know why the tyre place fitted them rather than all season tyres or tell me they were summer tyres. I didn’t ask for summer tyres either.

Will it be ok the use them in winter? I live in the South West England so we don’t often get snow.

Also the side walls feel quite soft when I push my thumb into them despite being fully inflated. Is that normal with brand new tyres? Perhaps the rubber is more supple? 

The make is GT FE1 radial City tyres. 155/80 R13 83

Thanks for any replies.

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 17/06/2020 00:20:55

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 17/06/2020 00:24:32

Thread: Lawn weed and feed. How much is 35g?
27/04/2020 12:07:47
Posted by Johnboy25 on 26/04/2020 23:53:59:

35grams = Approx.a level desert spoon full. ✔️-

Edited By Johnboy25 on 26/04/2020 23:55:10

Thanks that seems about right

21/04/2020 15:21:37

Hi

I have some Evergreen 4-1 lawn weed and feed. It says use 35g per square metre, but doesn’t give any idea how much that is. I don’t want to use the kitchen scales to measure it as it contains weed killer. So approx how much is 35g? How many table spoons? Or what kind of container would 35g fully occupy.

Id thought of measuring 35g of sand but it’s a different density.

Ps My lawn is too small to warrant getting a spreader.

Thread: Shoe repair glue advice?
17/04/2020 23:46:39
Posted by Andy Stopford on 17/04/2020 20:02:11:

I've used hot glue (the cheap Parkside sticks from Lidl) very successfully, but you have to work fast. I found judicious pre-heating with a hot air gun gives you a bit of extra time, and being generous with the amount of glue increases the thermal mass and slows setting. Also give the glue-gun plenty of time to get really hot - that stuff sticks practically anything if its hot enough.

It's good to prepare some sort of clamping arrangement first, especially for the area at the front, which seems to be the point at which unsuccessful gluing attempts fail.

Like IanT, I used to stick rubber repair soles onto new leather-soled shoes - it made them less lethally slippery too.

I tried the parkside glue gun method it sticks really well to the foam bottom of the shoe but just peeled off the rubber sole. Maybe not hot enough?

17/04/2020 17:51:57
Posted by David Caunt on 17/04/2020 15:41:44:

klebfast.jpgSimon, This works well for me.

Thanks. Should a 30 ml tube be enough to stick the whole sole back on a size 12 shoe or is that a bit on the small side bearing in mind both surfaces need coating in the glue?

17/04/2020 14:27:47
Posted by Andrew Evans on 17/04/2020 14:03:32:

Hi - I have tried fixing walking boot soles a few times and it has never really worked for more than a couple of uses and you risk being stuck somewhere remote if they come off half way round a walk. I also tried getting them fixed professionally by a cobbler and that failed too. The soles take such a battering in this country and walking conditions can be so wet and acidic that even top quality boots seem to last for 3 or 4 years for me.

They are walking boots but fortunately I only wear them when working the garden and in the shed. So not sure how much wear and strain they get digging over the veg patch or chopping logs.

17/04/2020 13:38:07

Hi

The entire rubber sole has come off one of my Peter storm boots. You have to apply to both surfaces before sticking together. Is a 30ml tube enough to stick down the full sole?

Boot Size is 12 and the glue I’m thinking of ordering is Klebfest which has good reviews.

Edited By Simon Robinson 4 on 17/04/2020 13:50:51

Thread: Help with Maths ratio problem?
16/04/2020 02:00:31
Posted by duncan webster on 15/04/2020 17:26:25:

One of the supplied ingredients will have a left over. 300mL of lime being 5 parts means one part is 60mL (300/5). To make up the fiz to the recipe would therefore need 3* 60 = 180 mL of lemonade, so the lemonade is in excess, and he can make 300 + 180 = 480 mL of fiz.

In these straitened times in reality I'd just bung in all the lemonade, don't waste it!

Thanks that makes sense

15/04/2020 18:55:42
Posted by not done it yet on 15/04/2020 18:25:20:

The simple intuitive method of calculation:

Every 8ml of product require 5ml of lime and 3ml of lemonade

300ml lime would make 300/5 lots of 8ml = 60

200ml of lemonade would make 200/3 lot of 8ml = 66 2/3 lots of 8ml

Clearly there is insufficient lime to make 66 2/3 lots of 8ml, so the answer is 60 lots of 8ml = 480ml

Materials totalled 500ml, so 500ml-480ml = 20ml (of lemonade) left over.

In reality, just mix the whole lot together and the error in ratios is not that great🙂. Not many would notice the difference!

Thanks that makes sense

15/04/2020 17:18:21

My nephew has been sent a maths ratio problem. Would be great if you could show the method to working it out for me to explain to him.

Paul wants to make a fizzy drink. His recipe says it needs:-

5 parts lime juice

3 parts lemonade

He thinks he has 300ml of Lime juice and 200ml of lemonade.

if that’s right then what is the maximum amount of fizzy drink he can make from this?

thanks

Thread: Is Buying a used live steam loco cheaper than building one?
10/08/2019 23:58:20
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 10/08/2019 20:12:37:

Worth joining a club, not least to get an idea of what is involved in a build and deciding if you want to take on what will be a multi-year project. Plus you will get advcie and backup for when you get stuck.

They can also help ensure you don't buy a lemon secondhand. Just because someone is selling in good faith, doesn't mean they are aware of all the pitfalls that might stop you getting a boiler test ticket, for example.

Neil

I think I will join a club especially with the amount of money involved in either buying or building its good to get advice and help.

Thanks

10/08/2019 23:55:15
Posted by Steambuff on 10/08/2019 18:26:21:

Why not look at a Loco kit .... Polly Engineering for example.

Not cheap but you will get the support (UK based) if you have an issue.

Dave

Edited By Steambuff on 10/08/2019 18:27:26

I’ve just had a look and they look really good and relatively cheap for a 5” gauge loco kit. It would be the best of both worlds! The enjoyment of building it but without need for lathes and milling machines and a running loco in a relatively short time.

10/08/2019 16:24:57

For many years I’ve been interested in either buying or building a coal fired live steam loco. Either 3.5” or 5” gauge mainly for personal use but might consider running it at shows.

While eBay can be quite expensive if you are lucky it’s possible to get a used 3.5” live coal fired loco for around £2000 as a buy it now with some work required to get it going and boiler certified. Quite a bit more for a 5” gauge.

As for building one as a beginner I do not have a suitable lathe or milling machine and you can easily spend at least £1000 for a reasonable used lathe suitable for 3.5” gauge and able to machine ferrous metals and probably the same price for a milling machine. Then you need to learn to use it and have plenty of space to accommodate the machines. The sheet copper suitable for a 3.5” boiler can probably cost over £150. Then there is time to build the loco which can run into years.

So I could imagine by the time you have bought the machinery, plans, materials like copper, silver solder, brass etc you’d not have much change from £5000.

Any thoughts on this?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate