By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for BW

Here is a list of all the postings BW has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: magic 127 TOOTH ?
13/01/2020 23:11:32

Another method is to cut or purchase or print 37 and 47 and introduce them i to the gear train 47/37 is very close to 1.27 ie 1.270270

Thread: Homemade Lathe
13/01/2020 08:49:37

Thanks - Enjoyed that video, wish I had similar skills.

Bill

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
13/01/2020 08:22:57

Posted with all due respect to those of us who like boats

**LINK**

......... and ............. we have deer and foxes and rabbits and hares and blackberry and ragwort in our paddocks ............ the rabbits and hares demolish our veg patches, didn't realise we had swapped and given you wallabies in exchange for them. Very keen to swap back if possible.

People are taking photos of the first green blushes of regrowth - Wont be long before some of the trees start to look a bit ridiculous with lots of leaves growing straight out of the trunks and branches - first response after the fires - looks like the trees have woolly jumpers on.

Bill

Edited By BW on 13/01/2020 08:39:52

Thread: Machining a curve
18/12/2019 06:41:20

Variation on the above answers. Not intended as a definitive answer I ask because am not sure.

Could you rough it out as suggested and then use a form tool ? If too much chatter then I have read that chatter could be reduced if run the lathe backwards and tool mounted on back toolpost ?

Variation on form tool - curved piece of wood with sandpaper wrapped around it ?

Bill

Bill

Thread: Heinrici engine
14/10/2019 13:41:27

OK I will make a response and maybe somebody who actually knows something might respond.

https://www.stirlingengine.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134 a liitle discussion in that thread may be of use to you.

I googled "scale up stirling engine" - have been pondering that question recently.

Bill

Thread: MEW No. 285 Gear Cutters and Gear Cutting
18/09/2019 00:30:18
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 17/09/2019 14:20:12:

A rather fine clockmaking acquaintance of mine simply machines a half-round tool [with relief], on the Rotary Table of his Hauser jig-borer, and then uses this [twice] to machine the wheel-cutter blank. ... no buttons, no spacing them on a holder.

MichaelG.

Hey Michael,

Am struggling to understand "half round tool" and how your friend uses it.

Is that shaped like a half round file and then mounted on a machine spindle

Bill

17/09/2019 13:23:11

I think the clever bit is using a taper cutter to get an exact diameter, as making the 'correct diameter' cutter is a bit fo a challenge for most and is probably harder than making buttons..

I have always thought that post #8 in this thread was a brilliant bit of lateral thinking. It means that you can make single point gear cutters using the radii of standard sized end mills.

Its explained very well in the post .... no point in me rehashing it ........ have a read and then copy the spreadsheet.

Bill

Thread: PayPal Warning
14/09/2019 10:00:15

In Australia you can buy various branded gift cards from Post Offices, Garages and Supermarkets ( ie Amazon, Rebel, Google Play etc) and visa cards good for a limited amount of money.

I've started using these instead of putting my credit card details up on web sites.

Some banks (ie Commonwealth) allow you to lock your cards for internet purchase and purchases in foreign countries and also allow a maximum limit to spends. It is easy to use an app on phone or tablet to quickly unlock the card buy something and then lock it again.

Bill

Thread: Recommendation for Tool and Cutter Grinder
10/09/2019 08:37:59
Posted by David George 1 on 09/09/2019 15:21:34:

This is what I use to grind small lathe cutters and carbide tips. I could make a small cutter like you would use by roughing it out on the offhand grinder then finishing it on the diamond wheel. 10 to 15 minutes max.

20190427_090312.jpg

I can adjust to suit any angle. It was a engraving tool grinder and cost £26.00 on the net. I just had to make the tool plate rest.

David

David,

That's an interesting looking gadget.

I googled "engraving tool grinder" and got lots of dremel type tools and a few T&C grinders between $500 and $2000

If you bought it brand new for 26 pounds that seems like a great deal or was it a lucky 2nd hand buy ?

Could you please give a link to what you bought or some alternate keywords ?

Bill

Edited By BW on 10/09/2019 08:44:13

Thread: Any one used a digital microscope for micro turning on a lathe
07/09/2019 01:43:41
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 06/09/2019 14:18:17:

My USB microscope from Aldi is surprisingly good but the latency means using it for machining would be pointless.

People often over estimate how much magnification they need. What about something like this?

I use a 5x one of those with my little sherline, got it from Aldi a few years ago. A quick google shows that 10x ones are also available from various online shops.

Bill

06/09/2019 13:31:42

...... and this chap seems to have done a good job relevant to the original question.

06/09/2019 13:27:17

Are these things useful for us shed dwellers or do you have to crouch dangerously close to the spinning workpiece to get it focussed ?

Bill

Thread: Decent Demagnetiser?
05/09/2019 07:22:33

No electronics just 4 neodynium magnets. Described somewhere in popular mechanics - and a video of a similar one is here

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/diy-demagnetising-tool-works-72881

Bill

Edited By BW on 05/09/2019 08:44:53

Thread: Boiler testing pump - plans ?
24/08/2019 08:21:32

Jason, Thanks for the tip about the countersunk vs a sharp edge on the hole.

22/08/2019 13:04:08

Hello,

Pressure Test Pump (Vertical Boiler Fittings Thread)

Hand Pump Schematic ??

Is this pressure testing pump as simple as 2 balls ( or cones ? each sitting in a countersunk hole at either end of a tube, on the pull stroke the bottom valve opens allows water in, then on the push stroke the bottom valve is blown shut and top valve blown open allowing water to exit ?

Could I make one as simple as that or is there more to it ?

.... maybe a couple of springs to close the valves and an O ring or two on the cylinder to help seal it ? .... O rings in the valves to help seal them ?

Bill

Thread: A simple oscillating steam engine
13/08/2019 13:30:42

...................... and if you want something that requires a similar level of skill, very interesting and completely different to your first one have a go at this one

**LINK**

Bill

13/08/2019 13:03:35

You can try raiding a few springs from old biros, I got a boxful of various size springs from Aldi for $5.00 - keep an eye out for them - I used one of those.

Bill

Thread: Threaded Norman Toolpost
10/08/2019 14:03:37
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 10/08/2019 13:27:20:

Unless I am mistaken the toolpost only takes one tool or do you replace the whole unit when a different tool is reqd?

Tony

I think you could have a few tool blocks and also keep some notes regarding what height to set the tool blocks at if you changed the tool in the slot. I guess you could slowly build up to a set of 10-20 blocks - seems to me that there are a lot of people out there who have lots and lots of "blocks" for their particular type of QCTP.

Bill

10/08/2019 08:55:24

Hey Michael,

Think we were posting at approx the same time. I think thats it, will read the whole thing again maybe I missed something.

EDIT : Scanned the image from the magazine page. Got a whole heap of magzines and have been trawling through them for interesting things to have a go at.

Bill

Edited By BW on 10/08/2019 09:04:04

10/08/2019 08:29:20

threaded_tpost.jpgHave been pondering this Norman Toolpost - the block and the post are both threaded to allow for tool height control.

Locked at the top by a lock nut on the post.

But if you are cutting towards headstock, then surely the block could be pushed back towards the headstock as there is nothing underneath it to stop it it could rotate on the thread and it might simply drop away from the lock nut ?

Did anybody apart from the author ever make this one ? How did you stop it unscrewing ?

Gotta be a few different ways of doing it, however was wondering if I had missed something in the text

EDIT : Think I got it - relies upon the pinch bolt to squeeze it tight ? Would that be good enough ? That way no lock nut required and  the vernier arrangement is easier to understand.

Bill

Edited By BW on 10/08/2019 08:32:16

Edited By BW on 10/08/2019 08:33:41

Edited By BW on 10/08/2019 08:51:03

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate