By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Why is the world of model engineering still imperial?
04/03/2023 13:12:20
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/03/2023 10:50:57:
Posted by John Abson on 04/03/2023 10:23:35:

[…]

After about half a day, […]

0.5 day in Metric Decimal angel

Fixed that for you. They are NOT the same thing!

03/03/2023 18:32:39
Posted by UncouthJ on 03/03/2023 15:49:00:

Here's the debate ender... Fits n tolerances!

You can pretty perfectly gauge an amount of slop in a slip, or an amount of welly on an interference in a handful of thou. Tell me you can do that so simply in metric so I can call you a liar 😉

Do you really think that metric engineers/machinists/fabricators/etc can't do that, or judge by eye to similar precision?

Thread: Dead-Blow Hammer Recommendations Please
01/03/2023 18:10:52
Posted by Georgineer on 01/03/2023 15:49:44:

How many of the posters who have suggested nylon hammers, screwdrivers, lumps of lead, politicians' noddles and so on have actually twigged that none of these is actually a dead-blow device?

How many know but have chosen to ignore the difference and thereby the OP's question?

How many of the readers who come here to learn will go away thinking that there is no difference?

I think we should be told.

Look again; the first answer(mine) asked why a dead blow hammer is 'necessary' for this job.

01/03/2023 11:47:40

Why is a dead blow hammer needed for that job?

It's not a big mill, so the parts are going to be pretty small too. I've been known to use the hammer end of a large screwdriver....

Thread: Hit lucky at the Flea Market today
26/02/2023 12:26:55

£3 for a Snap-on ratchet screwdriver is a steal. It's the sort of thing that makes going to fleamarkets, bootfairs, autojumbles etc occasionally worthwhile. You cant go with a list of wants and expect to buy any of them.

Thread: damaged allen screws removal
25/02/2023 18:10:36

Hammer an allen key into the hole.

Weld it to the screw

Undo with an impact wrench.

Drilling cap head screws is an exercise in desperation

Thread: Moving a Lathe
19/02/2023 21:17:49

the 10x22 lathes aren't difficult to carry that sort of distance by two people.

One person can easily lift a 7x12 onto the bench whenever it's needed.

Thread: Biggest portable lathes
17/02/2023 08:37:55
Posted by samuel heywood on 16/02/2023 23:59:58:

Mini lathe is an easy one man lift if you take the chuck & tailstock off....for some reason similar weighted mills seem rather more awkward??

A lathe is low and wide, so the weight doesn't try and tilt

The mill is tall and narrow, and you're tempted to hold it at the ends of the table. Laying it on its back makes it safer to move around, but doesn't help with lifting it onto a bench

15/02/2023 23:06:55

The 10x22(mine is a Warco WM250) isn't a problem for two people to move around or down steps. We did remove the tailstock, compound slide and chuck, then wound the carriage as far left as possible to improve the balance a bit.

Thread: Grinding your own hss lathe tools. Tips & tricks?
12/02/2023 16:00:57

I don't have the cutter grinder, but if I did I would probably have roughed out the tool freehand, and done the final work on the Worden. That would probably halve the time by reducing a lot of the tedious 5thou at a time work.

Thread: Gaia
08/02/2023 11:58:44

It was impressive when hanging in Rochester Cathedral nave and was even better with the lights off when we left after ringing practice. It would have been truly stunning if they'd used photos with less cloud cover. I had to wonder if the skull was underneath it like Michel Granger's Oxygene cover art....

The similar moon exhibition was more impressive for some reason.

Thread: Grinding your own hss lathe tools. Tips & tricks?
06/02/2023 09:45:58

I haven't done much grinding because tipped tools do virtually everything I need, but 10mm tools on a mini-lathe is daft when you won't get to the limit of a 6mm one. That immediately saves money, time and effort. I do a lot of work with a 3mm tangential tool.

Rough out the tool with a coarse wheel or angle grinder and finish on the fine wheel. De-glaze it often.

A larger, tiltable table makes grinding the tool much easier. Draw or scribe some lines on it to give a better idea of the angles.

Practice with mild steel of the same size before getting too involved with the HSS.

Thread: Torque wrench
02/02/2023 15:40:25

I think you're going to be surprised by just how easy it is to torque a bolt to 30NM. Most people are overtightening small(and M8 are small) bolts by a considerable amount.

Thread: 100 AND 1 OTHER USES !
30/01/2023 14:13:35
Posted by Hopper on 30/01/2023 11:12:31:

Other uses? Are you able to make bits of steel glow red hot with one of these things?

Have you never needed to warm a pot of something in the workshop? Paint? Glue? Stuck together thingy?

Thread: Steady Rest principles.
30/01/2023 14:12:03

That just needs a coat of paint to move into the much better than it needs to be and I thought was going to be categoryyes

Thread: Single cam working both inlet and exhaust
24/01/2023 11:13:29
Posted by Mike Poole on 24/01/2023 09:30:32:

That must be done for economy of manufacture I would think as performance must be compromised to make this work. Not quite sure how the Dolomite Sprint engine achieved its performance if limited by this arrangement.

The Sprint engine is limited by this arrangement and by other questionable design decisions. While it is poor compared to its theoretical potential, it does make more power than 8valve versions of the same engine. Merlin V12s use a similar design, which is probably where they borrowed it from.

Thread: Is a bath sponge suitable as temporary fix for car air filter?
19/01/2023 10:27:55
Posted by Hopper on 19/01/2023 09:58:53:

Crikey. How very Italian. laughlaughlaugh

Yes a small wodge of silicone sealer could work wonders. The seal on the airbox can't be too good either. I am pretty darn sure no water would get past the airbox seal on my Toyota Corolla. It is a very robust structure with over-centre latches and an 0-ring seal in a captive groove all round. Back on track to your original question: leave the duff filter out and drive with no filter at all. Get a new filter ASAP. DON'T put sponge or foam or paper or golden monkey fur in the airbox. If it disintegrates and gets sucked into the engine you will be very very sorry. But driving short distances with no air filter on sealed roads is no great danger.

That.

Stuffing some sponge in the box in place of the filter is just going to make you feel better until the engine ingests some of it. It won't filter anything worthwhile. If you're really worried about not having a filter, fit the new one in the carpark before you drive home...

Thread: Steady Rest principles.
19/01/2023 09:44:57

If you can weld, then a steady rest is easy to make from some thick wall tube and bar and some fitting.

Some years ago John Stevenson showed how he made large steadies from bolting laser cut pieces together, which is quick, easy and frugal.

Thread: Hydrogen
19/01/2023 09:41:43
Posted by JA on 19/01/2023 09:28:26:
Posted by Martin Kyte on 19/01/2023 09:15:57:

I think that the one thing that has not seemed to have sunk in to some in this thread is that we can no longer assume that we can carry on doing all the things we do now. Life is going to have to change dramatically. Less travel, less consumption and less waste.

regards Martin

In other words, use less energy. I fully agree with you but I feel that this is so unlikely, about the same likelihood as fusion power becoming a reality within the next 50 years or colonizing Mars.

Has anyone else seen Eddie Izzard's sketch about going back in time and 'explaining' how modern stuff works? The answer to how does the magic box that keeps things to a constant temperature that's less than ambient, or produces moving pictures is that it plugs in the wall.

An electrical device is now the universal solution to any problem, even for the instances when the correct answer is don't do it.

Thread: Lasers
18/01/2023 10:25:47
Posted by Baz on 18/01/2023 09:42:39:

This is the great danger of you tube videos, you don’t know the provenance of the presenter, I have seen machining videos that are downright dangerous. In the good old days you went to college and were taught by a professional, nowadays anyone with a mobile phone can claim to be an expert.

Why single out Youtube for that, when it's true of the entire internet?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate