By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
09/04/2023 07:43:44
Posted by Jelly on 08/04/2023 19:37:22:

I have long avoided it as being too complicated, but in fact it's probably far easier to achieve a good finish than brushing in a fraction of the time.

Going forward I think it will be my preferred method of painting anything which needs even a half decent finish, I may even be drawn into working with 2K paints.

I'm with you on the brush; anything I do looks like it was done in the dark, by a drunk holding the brush with his feet. Spraying is far better.

And 2k paints add a similar improvement. You need far less of it so it's cheaper, it's much higher solids so 2 coats is enough to provide a good finish that withstands polishing, and it goes off in far less time - so much so that you could filler-prime in the morning, block sand after lunch and top coat the same day. You do need to upgrade to a proper filter(although an air-fed hood is cheap enough), but you ought to be using something similar with cellulose.

Thread: TurboCAD Query: Maintaining Rendering Acrss File-types?
06/04/2023 20:45:25
Posted by lee webster on 06/04/2023 20:26:41:
I will ask another question, just out of interest, It's a bit off topic. Are all the parts seperate bodies (piston, cylinder etc) or all drawn in the same body? The reason I ask is that drawing all the parts in the same body was a mistake I made when first starting with Sketchup. Learning the basics of Sketchup helped me understand other cad programmes.

I use Fusion360, and make all the parts of a 'thing' as components - bodies are very different things - in the same file, so this

whole engine.jpg

is saved as one thing even though it contains most of the parts necessary to build a working engine. It means each part can be built where it's going to be used, using the actual geometry that it fits which saves a great deal of extra design work. To me, saving each piston/rod/camshaft/throttle spindle/etc as a separate file would be like saving a novella as separate paragraphs.

06/04/2023 14:15:00

I'd suggest that somebody who knows what he's doing - and how to explain it - could use those pumps to help Nigel pull himself out of the hole he's dug for himself in a couple of hours. That would involve suggestions on which profile to extrude/cut/revolve the initial solid from, use of additional planes/geometry, why constraints are important, using existing parts to create new ones directly in place, joining the parts to create an assembly and proving it moves as intended, and how to produce the drawings Nigel considers to be so vital.

06/04/2023 11:49:52

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 06/04/2023 10:40:54:

Self-teaching is hard work, because teacher and pupil are both confused. And exploration and analysis are harder than learning.

They're not confused but ignorant. And that leads to the self-perpetuating frustration repeated here.

I've mentioned this several times, but Nigel needs some one-to-one teaching to fill in the gaps in his understanding and reset his faulty thinking.

Thread: Milling in the lathe
04/04/2023 13:29:41

Get a bolt-on ER collet chuck and a full set of collets. That will hold any type of milling cutter and be useful for small round stock.

Thread: Ideas sought for a bolted metal work/lathe bench
04/04/2023 11:06:55
Posted by martin haysom on 04/04/2023 10:43:26:

as you have already bough a bench. i would strengthen that using the ideas above.

If I had just spent £600 on a fairly small bench, I'd expect to be using it as is for the next 25ish years.

Thread: Warco Lathe Bedway Scratches
03/04/2023 11:06:05
Posted by Martin Kyte on 03/04/2023 09:30:16:

If I could turn off predictive text I would it’s more trouble than it’s worth.

You can't turn predictive text off because it's ready for you

Thread: Small Ground (GT) Inserts?
29/03/2023 17:03:04
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 29/03/2023 15:43:17:
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 29/03/2023 15:40:54:

I'd have thought this application cries out for a suitably ground HSS tool, say from a 6mm square blank. Low cost, effective and no need buy an additional insert tool-holder.

Exactly what I use but a larger HSS blank to suit my tool post.

Tony

And me. But mine is double ended so it drops in both sides of the QCTP. That way one tool can be fed along , or across, the axis of the lathe and deburr bores and any other edge created, saving on tool holders

Thread: Name of Tools Used for Mill Tool Holder Retaining Bolt
28/03/2023 19:26:59
Posted by Martin Cargill on 28/03/2023 19:09:38:

We used to make tools for that job from old 1/2" sockets with two pieces of key steel welded to the outside.

Noted. That's even better than my suggestion.

Thread: Problem with penetrating oil can
27/03/2023 12:32:07
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 27/03/2023 11:44:43:

Acetone and my regular ATF fluid are immiscible and separate out in seconds. So what brand of ATF fluid mixes with acetone?

That was my experience when I tried it out of curiosity. Considering the cost of both ATF and acetone, I'm not convinced of the monetary saving either.

I've only ever found penetrating fluid(of whatever type) to be of any use when the parts were only just past coming apart with the appropriate tool. In those circumstances it's used to get the screw/bolt/nut/pin out quickly so that more drastic methods aren't necessary. It's particularly irritating to be told after you've used heat, violence, hammers, swearing and grinders/drills to get out an already rounded off fastener that Scammer's Miracle Snot would have worked instantly.

Thread: Parting off using a powered cross feed
24/03/2023 22:45:09

Is there a worthwhile time saving parting off under power on a small lathe?

For the actual operation - maybe, although it's pretty small.

But there's a big time saving in having to sharpen the tool less, or replacing it because it's bent or broken. Not to mention the time and material cost from having to remake the part because it was damaged when you broke or bent the parting tool. Having both hands free to either catch the part or add cutting fluid can be a really useful too.

I'll keep parting off under power; it's less hassle.

Thread: Name of Tools Used for Mill Tool Holder Retaining Bolt
24/03/2023 22:33:55
Posted by old mart on 24/03/2023 19:39:30:

They may not have a name because they are likely to be proprietry tools which only fit those cutters. I would unscrew them with a drift and see if it was easy to make something more spanner friendly.

Weld a couple of suitably sized/spaced blocks to a piece of steel strap to make a custom spanner. That's what, five minutes work in total?

Edited By Nick Wheeler on 24/03/2023 22:34:29

Thread: Rear tool post vs front tool post
22/03/2023 11:50:07

Rear toolposts purport to solve a number of problems that should be a long way down a beginner's list of things to worry about. The only claim that isn't mostly subjective is that they add another tool position for complex production work.

As a beginner you need to concentrate on making whatever tools you are using - which is another can of worms - work as they are designed to. Rear toolposts, quick-change toolposts, complex insert holders etc etc are expensive distractions from achieving that.

Thread: Studs, nuts a couple of Ft/lb and a aircraft crash
19/03/2023 22:16:30
Posted by Clive Steer on 19/03/2023 10:39:52:

Interesting reading and worrying where threaded fasteners are being used in tension.

How can a tightened threaded fastener not be in tension?

Thread: Lathe Breakdown - Source for dovetail bolts or nuts?
14/03/2023 08:55:52
Posted by not done it yet on 13/03/2023 22:30:08:

Most of my drawbars are suitable lengths of threaded rod, with a double nut at one end. I used to think they needed to be really tough, but they don’t actually need to be that tight to work…..

In a world where Loctite exists, is the second nut still necessary?

And I wonder why the OP couldn't have quickly made some temporary shaped nuts with a hacksaw and file. Spend a bit more time on them, and they could have been permanent replacements.

Thread: Can a touring caravan be disassembled and then reassembled easily?
13/03/2023 11:12:40

Caravans are a flimsy steel chassis, then a thin ply floor, a basic wooden structure and aluminium or plastic panels stuck over the top. The cabinets, bed base and other features are structural. There isn't much room inside them considering the space they take up. This all makes them a poor choice for storage. Buy a shed instead.

Thread: Workshop Mistakes (True Confessions)
10/03/2023 11:34:03

I spent an afternoon making a floor pan with all the grooves, panels and folded edges. Matched the template, and looked great until I held it in the hole. It was upside down.

I've been told that templates and marking it and the part with up/down/inside/etc and using different colour markers for which way a fold goes is a waste of time. It isn't...

Thread: Why is the world of model engineering still imperial?
10/03/2023 09:33:51
Posted by Circlip on 10/03/2023 08:24:49:

Jason, DOH! that's another half brain cell that died without me realising. 1/8" OR 0.125 or 3.175mm

That's an excellent example of why you should avoid converting, and work in what you're given. Although the insistence of having both fractions and decimals on the same part is tiresome. I've yet to see a machine dial marked in fractions.

09/03/2023 14:24:11
Posted by duncan webster on 09/03/2023 14:00:25:

Dave,

Just accept it, belief in the Imperial system is like a religion, not open to rational argument. In your moderational capacity you'd better close this down before the howls of protest.

How does an Imperial howl compare to a metric moan?

04/03/2023 14:02:31
Posted by Bantam Bill on 04/03/2023 13:42:50:

How come all my metric sockets are either 1/4”, 1/2” or 3/4” drive.

Those drive tools are a Snap-on invention, and were originally available with American sockets. Would you really want to buy new ratchets, extensions and all the other bits that could only be used on metric sockets?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate