By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: copper Tube
10/05/2023 18:50:42
Posted by JasonB on 10/05/2023 15:59:47:
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 10/05/2023 15:35:01:

If it were me I'd go for the stock 10swg tube - but bearing in mind that if the 3.75" is bore not OD, its extra diameter (from 0.036" extra wall thickness) could affect many other dimensions, especially on a traction-engine.

Are you sure , it is usually the OD that the size refers to

Nigel is confusing tube(sized by OD) with pipe(ID). These are normally used for different purposes, and sized according to the relevant dimension.

Thread: No longer a free postage threshold at Arceurotrade?
10/05/2023 18:22:19
Posted by john fletcher 1 on 10/05/2023 16:52:26:

How many of us actually need next day delivery or even this week. We have so many white vans wizzing around our streets like formula one. Being retired at home most of the day we take in parcels for neighbours helping the drivers who schedule so tight they have hardly any time to blow their nose or sneeze. John

So you don't get their drivers writing the card as they walk up the path, stuff it through the letter box and leave without knocking? We'd have the same service if they got the normal postman to deliver the card and not even pretend to deliver parcels.

10/05/2023 15:18:00
Posted by Ian P on 10/05/2023 15:10:11:
Posted by petro1head on 10/05/2023 14:12:16:

Where i live Royal Mail is useless.

If you want an item that falls below their DPD threshold, in a timely manner my advice is to not use their website and phone your order in a pay an extra £2 for DPD delivery

Without knowing where you live your RM statement is pointless!

Do we presume you are not in the UK?

There's an excellent chance he lives in Medway. Although useless isn't strong enough to describe how bad Royal Mail is here.

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
10/05/2023 12:19:33

John, here's my virtual mock up of a hotrod IRS using MGF hubs, brakes and wheel bearings. The flat components are to be laser cut to save time and effort and make better parts

irs.jpg

The rest of the frame, using MGF front uprights and geometry

frame.jpg

I do intend to build this at some point. It's a mock-up because various parts need to defined better. And the IRS has several degrees of camber gain, which need to be designed out...

Thread: Alibre - A First Attempt
10/05/2023 11:46:01

Some more:

Traditional drawing requires you to know where everything is and how they're related. If you don't, you won't be able to design or place new features. CAD is the opposite; it tracks the details, so you can just add to centres of edges or bores, on corners, 'drill' holes through four parts in one operation, view at a different angle, section a part at the click of a button etc. Which in turn enables you to concentrate on your actual design work, that the computer can't do.

There's usually more than one way of modelling parts. Considering how you're going to make the physical object often decides which is the best most efficient to use - the three concentric features of Nigel's cylinder cover strongly suggest a single revolve for the basic solid to me, just like they would for a complex spindle. The notch and hole pattern being so closely related would come from another sketch. This is where you start to get the benefits of 3D CAD, because this thinking is equally applicable to making the actual part.

Not understanding what the program expects from you. Intuitive is a word that gets thrown around a lot, but like common sense, its attributes are a long way from universal. This affects all complex programs, not just CAD, and is something the software industry handles really badly. Impenetrable or contradictory jargon, non-existent or terrible or out-of-date manuals, constant 'upgrades' to the user interface and useless error codes are just the start of a long list.

There are lots of features with specific uses that are really tempting to use willy-nilly - grid snaps, automatic projections, multi-point splines all need considerable care to not leave you wanting to put a hammer through the screen. A lot of my time is spent on car parts, where left and right is taken from the driver's seat not from the front viewangry 2

These programs are advertised and sold as easy for everyone to use. That should be added to the list of The Great Lies of All Time.

09/05/2023 10:23:26
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 09/05/2023 09:31:46:.

Earlier on you said something about me apparently dragging objects about until they "look right". I can assure you I do not do that. I can't even make dragging work! I know CAD can only work if objects meet mathematically, and only the software can make that happen - but you do need know how to ask it.

Do you have a grid displayed? If you do, you probably have grid snaps turned on as well. These are a really frustrating trap - turn them both off, and forget they are even possible. Then you can choose a sensible feature(corner, centre of a shaft or bore, etc) to fix to the origin and constrain/dimension from there.

One tip I found saved me a load of grief was to deliberately draw lines, boxes, etc so they obviously don't meet/align, and force them to do so with constraints before going any further.

Thread: Myford Super 7 - electrics/motor
08/05/2023 11:46:51
Posted by Emgee on 08/05/2023 11:31:28:

Can someone explain how any of the many earlier model engineers using Myford 7 lathes with a single phase 1/2 or 3/4 HP motor were able to build such accurate and functional models ?

The same way their predecessors with treadle machines did; by operating within its limitations.

A VFD driving a 1Kw 3 phase motor won't make a good Myford any more accurate, but it will be nicer to use and a bit easier to consistently achieve good results - like tweaking the speed slightly to make the drill cut better.

08/05/2023 11:18:11

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 08/05/2023 09:48:54:

Finally, that steam cover isn't a 'nightmare in CAD'. A trained operator can model one by applying a few few basic tools. But he has to be trained, and the hard part is learning what the basic steps are and how to apply them. Advanced CAD models are high risk if built without a reasonable grasp of the basics, and the software behaving oddly is a symptom of earlier operator mistakes. I crashed Solid Edge last week!

That cover is two concentric circles, a construction line, a 'solid' line and a point all completely constrained:

headsketch.jpg

That's hardly complicated, is it? The geometry is fixed, so the actual dimensions are largely irrelevant. Although I would have modelled the cover in place at the top of the cylinder, using projected edges and known dimensions which is even easier.

Then it's an extrude for the cover and another for the recess. Use the hole tool centred on the point and a countersunk/counterbored/stepped is easy. Pattern that as required around the part's axis. Use the 'solid' line to cut off the corner. Finish with fillets/chamfers as required. In brass:

brasshead.jpg

Thread: Hi folks new bloke just started out.
07/05/2023 11:52:59

Dan, I bought my first lathe and then a mill for similar reasons to you. The second job I did was to make a new handle for the freezer, that I had broken several years earlier.

I understand why you don't want to build a series of little engines etc, but a making couple of them would be good teaching exercises for the processes and techniques that you will use in the future. This way enables you to learn them in your own time, with projects that don't matter, using replaceable materials instead of one offs that are needed now. That's the real reason for many of the frequently touted 'beginner's projects'; a complex centre-height gauge isn't that useful compared to the time it takes to make one, but the various parts teach how to make things that work as expected and how you need to think about appropriate fit&finish.

04/05/2023 14:04:41
Posted by JasonB on 04/05/2023 13:48:52:

One thing I do find helps both during assembly and earlier when 2D sketching is to try and click the item you don't want to move first and then the second one will move to it. That way even if the first item is not fully constrained it will generally stay put.

Fusion works the other way, think join this to that.

Thread: Bright steel
04/05/2023 11:30:00
Posted by Hopper on 04/05/2023 11:28:09:
Posted by Stephen Follows on 04/05/2023 11:22:03:

You're right SillyOldDuffer. Unfortunately, before you know it someone will want to split metric into coarse and fine....

And there are ISO metric threads, DIN metric threads and JIS metric threads...

Surely the threads are the same, but less important things like the size of the heads/nuts change?

04/05/2023 11:28:02
Posted by Stephen Follows on 04/05/2023 11:22:03:

You're right SillyOldDuffer. Unfortunately, before you know it someone will want to split metric into coarse and fine....

Let 'em.

You don't have to for your own stuff...

Thread: What did you do today? 2023
04/05/2023 11:21:42

I never did the job a cheap bead roller was acquired for, and it was abandoned outside for several years. It resurfaced as part of my recent Grand Clear Up, so I decided it was time to make it usable.

I cleaned the worst of the grot, freed off and lubricated the shafts, and replaced the crappy hardware:

basicbeadroller.jpg

These are cheap for a reason: the slotted 10mm steel plate twists as soon as you apply some tension, and gets even more out of shape as you roll the workpiece through the machine. It needs to be a lot more rigid to do some real work.

Fortunately, The Grand Clear Up also provided some grotty angle iron that had been fence posts for about 50 years, and wasn't usable for anything important. A few minutes cutting and welding, with the ends clamped parallel, sorted the rigidity problem:

stiffenedbeadroller.jpg

I ought to make a stand for it - some scrounged gate post, welded to a wheel is likely - but it does work clamped in the vice. A sliding fence for the workpiece will be easy to make, as are some tipping dies.

And a small 12v winch motor will save the need for another pair of hands to use the thing properly.

Thread: Major? Spindle play
04/05/2023 11:04:13
Posted by Chris Mate on 04/05/2023 05:20:50:

Make something, and see where it goes to your liking. Then try to figure out what went wrong where and why. As a bonus you gain experience.

That's a much better and more efficient way of learning about your new machine than making decisions based on measurements you don't understand. I've never put a DTI near the spindle of either of the lathes I've owned, although I do spend some time fiddling with the change gears to get them to run quietly...

04/05/2023 10:55:01

3D CAD would be a lot less frustrating for new users if it didn't allow you to MOVE, DRAG or ALIGN parts by wiggling them about randomly with the mouse. Then you'd have to learn to constrain/join/mate them properly using the relevant features in the parts. Like using the centre of the flat part of the thumbwheel, joined to the centre of the hole on an outside edge of the clamp - the two surfaces that on actual parts would bear on each other.

And turning off the display grid and its snaps should be the first thing to do before using the program.

03/05/2023 18:25:18

As above, you don't need the origin planes or axes to align/join parts. That's done using their own features(circle centres, edges, corners, whatever), with specific ones added just for that purpose if nothing appropriate exists already.

Thread: Small Lathe T(r)ek - The Next Generation.
03/05/2023 17:56:51
Posted by Kiwi Bloke on 03/05/2023 12:05:57:

Now, however, imported machine tools cost a much smaller proportion of earnings, and amateurs' workshops often contain multiple machine tools. Sadly, as is evident from some postings on this forum, inexperienced and poorly-informed folk will happily spend a lot of money on machines, yet have little idea of how to equip and operate them. Their requirements are different from typical purchasers of decades ago, and they influence the market. The market is less discerning and less well-informed. Today's kids want a machine on which they push buttons and out comes a finished item. Will the 'screen generation' want manual machines?

So, what's on my wish list? I suppose the machine will be made in the Orient - pity, but it seems there's little realistic alternative. However the Orient can make stuff to any level of quality that can be paid for. So, number one on my list is for quality of design and manufacture to be improved - considerably. Number two is for the machine to be modular, so it can be added to, as requirements change and funds allow. I'm nervous about the long-term reliability of electronics, so keep it as 'mechanical' as possible. For amateur use, belt-moving to change speed isn't too bad, is it? The KISS principle is pretty sensible, at least in the home 'shop. And then all(?) the other suggestions, already made, can be considered - but as add-ons.

Why limit that to todays kids? I'm 53, and would much prefer to push a button and get a finished, or at least usable part. The machines are only tools, how they work isn't actually important. Unfortunately, standing in front of manual machines twiddling knobs and levers is the only practical way of getting the work done. Bigger machines are the obvious improvement, simply to reduce the amount of time taken.

There is no way I would buy a new lathe, mill, pillar drill or pretty much any machine tool that wasn't variable speed.

01/05/2023 10:17:29
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 30/04/2023 22:23:22:

Sorry Nick,

.... but at risk of paraphrasing Donald Rumsfeld, I should know what I know and don't know.

Interesting that you bring that up, as his entire statement is about ensuring that what you know is actually right. That's what a good teacher(tutor, mentor, whatever buzzword you prefer) would establish and help you correct. The bit about 'unknown unknowns ...... being the difficult ones' is especially apposite here.

30/04/2023 17:46:32
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 30/04/2023 15:49:00:

Just carried out a quick test:

The drawing screen cross which if selected produces a red warning rectangle, closes that screen; but if necessary raises the changes warning. So far so good....

The Home page has both the Alibre roundel with a short Window menu including Close; and the Close All cross in the right hand corner.

The drawing window replaces the roundel with a tiny copy of the "New" L-shaped block symbol; and this holds much of the same Window menu.

Not ever so clear, at first!

-

Ian -

I think you've misunderstood me.

Many warned me not to think in one CAD format when using another, and I do heed that. I knew SE, Fusion and Alibre all work in 3D by default. So does TurboCAD, but it offers you direct 2D as well, and most of my TC drawings are in 2D.

My difficulty with TurboCAD was trying to learn to draw 3D models in TurboCAD.

My difficulty with SE and Alibre is trying to use them; but I treat them as themselves.

It is not due to their major differences from TurboCAD even in 3D mode, because I already knew they have those.

It is not because they are isometric rather than orthographic by default, because I already knew they are.

It is simply that sophisticated software - not just CAD - is difficult for me to learn.

There it is again: your insistence that you know things that aren't true or relevant. You're right, you can't learn this on your own. You need a competent teacher.

For everyone's sanity, take somebody(anybody) up on their offer of some one-to-one tuition as soon as possible. For instance, your issue of how to close a file could have been solved with one sentence and the demonstration of two mouse clicks - that's what, twenty seconds instead of several posts? It's highly likely that the revolve problem could have been solved in a similar fashion.

Thread: Small Lathe T(r)ek - The Next Generation.
29/04/2023 13:24:49

Wouldn't making them both the same component be likely to increase the spindle vibration? And it would definitely mean an expensive custom motor instead of a simple, standard one.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate