By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bent thread
15/11/2022 13:43:36
Posted by Mick B1 on 15/11/2022 13:33:50:
Posted by Mick B1 on 15/11/2022 12:13:17:
Posted by Martin Shaw 1 on 14/11/2022 18:52:42:

Cheap(-ish) sets of very adequate metric taps and dies in some stuff they call 'tungsten steel' are available from Machine Mart. They work well enough for everything I routinely do and I only need to buy a new set every couple of decades, and that's usually cos of broken taps in difficult materials rather than worn-out dies.

The set I meant from Machine Mart is CHT303. The diestock centre screw has the usual fault, and for blind or shouldered holes you may want to grind the points off some of the taps - carefully, they obviously don't dare to call their tungsten steel 'HSS', so you don't wanna get it too hot. But they've served me well for 90-odd% of what I've done this millenium...

Mine is the same. And the M10x1.5 has done a lot of work, both in the lathe and vice, in brass, steel and aluminium.

13/11/2022 19:51:51

Are you using the correct side of the die?

13/11/2022 18:42:19

Martin, you could remake the stud with each thread longer with a short lead in to steady the die. Once the threads are satisfactory, cut them to length. It's also worth checking that you're starting with a suitably sized workpiece.

In reality, the only moderately tricky bit about cutting M10 threads with a die is holding the work securely.

13/11/2022 10:13:22
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 13/11/2022 10:03:44:

As has been pointed out, single point thread cutting is simple enough and cost effective. One tool will cut many different threads, and cut them well, no bumps or bends.

For something like that, the last thing I would use would be a stocks and die, too much messing around.

Agreed; two common, short M10 threads are hardly worth setting up to screw cut. I still can't understand why anyone would start by screwcutting and finish with a die, instead of just using the die for the whole job.

And I wonder why Bernard requires such precision from something as basic as a toolpost stud?

Thread: Colouring technical illustrations
03/11/2022 18:18:10
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 03/11/2022 18:11:49:

We are talking about drawing-office practices from 100 and more years ago. I wonder how "standard" the colours were, since things like RAL values and digital versions were yet to come.

I suspect the procedure was acquire the colour from the stores, mix some and maybe check with the artist next to you if it looked right.

Edited By Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 03/11/2022 18:18:27

Thread: Casting and machining motorcycle risers
30/10/2022 11:31:38
Posted by Robert Butler on 29/10/2022 18:37:49:

Uncomfortable if you come off without gloves, ask me how I know.

It's bad enough to come off a bicycle when not wearing gloves.

Thread: How can I bend this ?
27/10/2022 18:14:24
Posted by lfoggy on 27/10/2022 17:52:26:

Many thanks for the suggestions and for the offers of assistance. Ironically I live in the West Midlands, metal bashing capital of Britain. I will attemp the job with a mallet and the piece clamped between two steel bars. Anneal first?

For one 30° bend?

27/10/2022 13:56:03

If you've only got one to do, then clamping it between angle and carefully knocking it over is the way to go. You'll make a decent start by hand, and finishing with a decently long hardwood(aluminium/whatever) block will give a good result.

Do you have any extra material to make a practice bend or two?

Thread: Silver soldering Torch size
22/10/2022 10:04:16

Jason's point about soldering, instead of welding, small but complex fabrications is a good one. But doesn't soldering demand tight fitting, properly cleaned joints? Successful welding has the same requirements.

I would suggest that if Peter presents his parts as above, with all the scale ground off a welder would have them finished in less time than it would take to heat just one soldered joint. And they're 5mm thick, which is well into stick welding territory not just Mig or Tig.

Thread: Recovering some MIG wire
21/10/2022 18:04:54

I was wondering why you were faffing about with a £25(that was the last one I bought, probably a bit more now) reel of wire, that needs to be neatly wound onto the reel. Doing it with free inconel is worth the effort.

This morning I finally got around to binning the 15kg reel of 0.6mm steel wire that I scavenged from a move at work. Far too much of it was rusty to bother with, and it didn't fit my machine. Nearly twenty years of it getting in the way meant it went to the tip with the old fridge.

Thread: Silver soldering Torch size
21/10/2022 17:55:42
Posted by bernard towers on 21/10/2022 17:27:55:

Peter why not prep your frame/stand then take it to a local man who makes gates etc, he would most probably Mig it for a drink.

Anyone with a welder should be able to it. Tig welding would make a nice looking joint that won't need any grinding.

Thread: 're-purposing' old screwdrivers
20/10/2022 17:06:54
Posted by Bezzer on 20/10/2022 16:32:55:

The blue Stanly ones are the best Pozidrive I've ever had. Still got 4 of them, one is different and more a Philips than a Pozidrive, I'd make sure they are truly knackered before butchering them.

Try removing all the inspection panels on an aeroplane; using even a slightly worn screwdriver often leads to hours of extra work drilling off the heads, extracting the remains of the screw once the panels are out of the way, and riviting in new nut plates. That's just one of the reasons why replaceable tip drivers became so common, as getting through a few tips on one job, or wearing out a couple by using grip paste(which looks very like fine grinding paste....) is well worth the minimal expense.

Any screwdrivers I buy from now on will be Wera, as they hit the sweet spot of cost, effectiveness, durability and ergonomics.

20/10/2022 14:23:17

Even good quality crosshead screwdrivers are consumables. Once they're chewed up, grind the heads off them so you're not tempted to use them and bugger up any more work.

What you do with them after that depends on you; there's only so many small pry bars/podgers/scribes that can be accommodated.

I do like the idea of nutrunners, which would be a good use for some scrap 1/4" drive sockets and a little welding.

Thread: Topic Creep.
18/10/2022 23:09:40

Are you sure you meant mellifluous, and not mendacious? None of the claptrap foisted on me at work was ever 'smooth or musical'. All of it included lies of some sort....

My immediate boss once killed a meeting with the depot manager with this:

If you're thinking of 'empowering' me to do that, I'll punch you.

Thread: The cheek of McDonalds
18/10/2022 19:28:20
Posted by roy entwistle on 18/10/2022 19:22:25:

I've never been in a McDonalds, Burger King, Wimpys or any other fast food shop

Fish & chips? Cornish Pasty? Bakers?

And I wonder how Bill justifies what passes for food if he's never tried it?

Thread: To Old
13/10/2022 11:04:33

John, the age limit is entirely in line with all the high stress professions(military, police, fire service) retirement age. And it's not unusual for doctors and teachers to retire in their mid-fifties for similar reasons.

Thread: If anyones in need of an angle grinder
02/10/2022 19:42:54

There's no way I'd buy an angle grinder that doesn't use generic, available anywhere, affordable discs.

I do thoroughly recommend a clutch nut, so you can change them without a spanner.

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
28/09/2022 08:37:25
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 28/09/2022 08:04

My drawing-board is beyond full re-assembly but I can put it back into something serviceable. The actual drawing-board and parallel-motion are all intact. It's the very complicated stand that is beyond reconstruction because I don't know how it's supposed to go together, and I may have lost some parts, though not deliberately!

A CAD model might help?

Thread: Reader Participation
25/09/2022 12:17:11

Jason's point about making something you need(or want, or at least understand) is fundamental to effective and efficient learning. Just doing exercises is fooling yourself that you're making progress, a bit like being able to play scales on a piano is only a step towards Happy Birthday. This is the time where some tuition is a huge boon for the less intuitive aspects - like increasing the speed instead of reducing it, or not using the chunk of metal you picked up in the street.

The first parts I ever turned were two pegs with an M8 thread through the middle to locate the axle saddles to a leaf spring. Although they were the same diameter, they weren't quite the same length, as that wasn't an important dimension. But it did involve turning, facing, drilling, tapping and parting off to make a part that solved a problem.

Pictures of other workshops and equipment are particularly useful for ideas to solve layout and space problems. I'm sure we've all seen things that made us think I should have thought of that.

Thread: Sawing Plate
24/09/2022 11:42:17

Have you considered a decent jigsaw and WD40 as a lubricant?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate