By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Wheeler

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Wheeler has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Privacy Glass in cars
09/12/2022 09:11:17
Posted by Pete. on 09/12/2022 00:28:22:

If you find yourself needing to view through the car in fronts windscreen to see the road, you should probably slow down a bit, put a bit of distance between your car and the car in front and use your own windscreen to view the road.

You don't do it to see the road.

You do it to see what is happening in or near the road, so you're ready for the car in front slowing down, turning off, pulling out, swerving out of the way of a pothole or any of the other things that can seriously ruin your day.

Most things that surprise drivers are visible if they're paying enough attention and looking far enough ahead!

Thread: Myford or new
08/12/2022 21:36:32

What doesn't the Myford do that a different lathe would? If the current lathe is big enough, keep and upgrade it. If you need more capacity, a gearbox or other modern features then a replacement would be sensible.

Thread: Privacy Glass in cars
08/12/2022 16:10:25
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 08/12/2022 15:40:38:

Hi Howard, the regulations in the UK only apply to the front windscreen and the two front side windows. Tinted vehicle windscreen law (UK)

Which is why these cars have heavily tinted rear side windows, and clearer front ones. Which looks ridiculous.

08/12/2022 12:31:42

I think it's one of many pointless and ugly features of new cars.

Thread: Staying on Track.
08/12/2022 10:50:20

Here's a LINK to a more interesting wheel video; from a Gopro mounted inside a car tyre.

Thread: Screwdrivers
07/12/2022 17:33:28

The Eclipse jewellers screwdriver set in a blue plastic wallet are pretty good, and are only reassuringly expensive.

Thread: Any Parcelforce delivery issues during strike?
30/11/2022 22:09:47

Baz's experience with Parcel Farce matches mine; they're not interested in delivering packages. I had one gently put the card through the letterbox when I was standing next to it! It could have been worse, as the parcel was actually on the van.

I've wasted enough time collecting parcels from them that I suggest any supplier using them should reduce my bill by the postage cost.

Thread: Toys for Christmas
30/11/2022 13:52:32

The World of Ward divider module.

Thread: What Did you do Today 2022
30/11/2022 13:30:11

Neil, thank you for the link as it gives me plenty of confidence in my that ought to be good enough and I can do it right now repair. There's nothing tricky about any of the engineering once you get past fitting the frame into the building.

Somebody forgetting to fit a needed bush would explain why there are no traces of it, and if this had been a very recent installation would be easier to accept. That would still imply require lousy quality control. But I find it hard to believe that there is no damage to either the tufnol bush, clapper hole, pin or clevis from probably 20kg of clapper clonking around on/in them for 16 years! The reported play would have been just as obvious every other time the muffles were used too.

If it were still possible to speak to the installers about this, we would even if that were to acquire the 'correct' part.

Having seen the results of neglect, wishful thinking or inadequate repairs means not spending 5 minutes checking this a couple of times over the next few months isn't acceptable. Now we know about it, we can't justify potentially damaging a 500 kg, 130year old bell. Access is good and there's room to at least kneel under the bell, and I've done far harder jobs in much worse conditions. Dismantling a good part just to have a look is something I'm much less comfortable with.

As the tenor of a light-to-medium eight, it's rung every time the bells are. There isn't a clock, and that would strike the outside of the bell with a hammer.

This is now a ground floor ring, so the congregation and vicar can at least see us, even if what we're actually doing takes some explanation. As for keeping it up, I'm out every night of the week learning the stuff I should have done before I stopped in 1991. This repair used material I'd bought for another job, so they'll replace that and the time will cost my round at the post-practice 'theory session'wink 2

30/11/2022 09:49:06

Here's the assembly ready to fit:

clapper.jpg

Although that's a terrible photo, it does show my confusion: there's no way big chunks could get out, and there are no traces anywhere on the clapper, or on the surrounding bell, frame or floor. Because of that, I have no idea what material was originally used. The play wasn't discernible when ringing the bell - I'd rung it down just before the fault was mentioned - although there is another room between the belfry and ringing chamber, which does damp out any extra noises. At <500kg, it's not a particularly heavy bell.

My photo of the bushes is slightly staged, as they're barely longer than the clapper is wide. There's maybe 1.5mm of side clearance for the clapper in the clevis, which is pretty typical of new installations; these things hardly need tight tolerances as they used to be made by blacksmiths.

The plan is to refit the clapper, ring through Christmas and inspect it a couple of times in the early new year. And I've got to clear up the big pile of swarf from making a 33mm diameter bush from a 75mm piece of stock.

29/11/2022 19:34:20

The steeple-keeper at one of the towers where I ring mentioned he thought the clapper on the tenor was a bit loose after removing the muffles for Rememberance Sunday.

On investigation, none of the fasteners were loose, but there was about 8mm of vertical play, so we dropped the clapper assembly out the bottom.

After heating to break the loctite, I undid the M20 locknut and pin to reveal this unexpected result:

p_20221129_123422.jpg

That's a 1" diameter, 20mm bore tufnol sleeve, floating in a 33mm hole. Neither are damaged, in fact the original machining marks are still visible. There's about 1mm side clearance in the clevis, and no trace anywhere of missing material. So where is it, and how did it get there?

I machined a connecting sleeve out of a chunk of delrin,

repaired.jpg

and reassembled everything ready to refit before practice on Friday.

except for the bell, all of these parts are about 16 years old and shouldn't be showing any signs of wear. We checked the other seven bells, and they're all fine. So I'm mystified: how did this happen?

Thread: Applying torque
26/11/2022 16:31:14
Posted by J Hancock on 26/11/2022 14:53:40:

NEVER let a tyre change outfit near a locking wheelnut , EVER.

Better advice is to never refit locking wheelnuts. They are all terrible and likely to cause you some major inconvenience at some point.

25/11/2022 09:24:59
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 25/11/2022 08:31:43:

Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 24/11/2022 22:04:48:

[…]

I would suggest that pretty much anyone who doesn't use a torque wrench is overtightening common fasteners by a significant amount - the M6 bolts for K-series or Vauxhall V6 cam bearing caps only need 10Nm, which is easily applied with a couple of fingers on a 10mm spanner.

My introduction to such torque levels on cars came in 1972 with the lovely Hillman Imp [effectively the Coventry Climax fire-pump] engine in my secondhand Singer Chamois.

… which justified my purchase of a low-range torque wrench.

Those two are why I have a 1/4" torque wrench. Using it for the first time was an eye-opener at just how little effort is required to torque such small fasteners correctly.

I did refit an XK cylinder head using a 3/8" TW, which was much harder work than if I'd used the 1/2" one I had at home.

Anyone with experience of LT/Sprinter vans from twenty years ago will know the consequences of not following the exact procedure for torquing the wheel bolts: the rear wheels fall off! It was a pity there wasn't a similar procedure to keep the side door attached to the van.

24/11/2022 22:04:48

The common 1/2" drive pneumatic impact wrench gets a bad press, as most of them can't tighten(or loosen!) nuts as much as a normal size person with a 600mm breaker bar. That's because most of them are run off knackered compressors, joined with small bore hoses and connectors.

I would suggest that pretty much anyone who doesn't use a torque wrench is overtightening common fasteners by a significant amount - the M6 bolts for K-series or Vauxhall V6 cam bearing caps only need 10Nm, which is easily applied with a couple of fingers on a 10mm spanner.

23/11/2022 07:57:55

The torque specification should state if the thread is lubricated or not.

Your other comments are why the actual bolt stretch is measured for critical applications - where possible - like bearing caps, and angular tightening has become common

Edited By Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 23/11/2022 07:59:46

Thread: You Couldn't Make It Up
20/11/2022 13:03:13

I wonder how many people share Chris's definition of Model Engineering? Trying to define it well enough to permit only relevant posts would make him wish for a political thread.

Thread: Pendula
18/11/2022 10:03:13
Posted by John Haine on 18/11/2022 09:52:43:

" And the man adjusting the clock already had spares in his pocket."

Back when the clock was new a penny would buy two pints of beer, so I doubt that!

that's a £10 note today. £5 if you drink in Wetherspoons. I doubt that a Victorian clock mender, working on the most prominent clock in the country, wasn't able to afford a couple of beers on the way home. I'd be surprised if he didn't have them!

18/11/2022 09:37:49
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 18/11/2022 09:20:42:

I guess old pennies are used because they're flat discs of a stable metal of about the right size and weight, that are unlikely to fall off! They should send it back, buying a new clock I'd expect it to come with a set of special weights lovingly finished by time-served master-craftsmen, costing only 50 Guineas each...

They by-passed the master craftsmen in favour of mass produced items that were legally required to be identical and only cost a penny each. And the man adjusting the clock already had spares in his pocket.

The modern equivalent would be strapping your phone to the part, and having the specially written app tell you how much to adjust it. That's unlikely to work in 5 years time; it certainly won't in 160.

Thread: Rust on New Lathe
17/11/2022 09:24:11
Posted by Hopper on 17/11/2022 08:03:52:
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 16/11/2022 22:16:00:
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 16/11/2022 20:38:37:

... but do they come with a rusty bed option?

Don't ask such a question. It will probably only lead to lots of speculation!

But it will be special Myford rust, carefully developed in a traditional damp shed, and applied by timeserved rusterers to provide the very best coverage and artistic merit.

Not these days it won't be. Myford are not what they used to be. Recent videos of their "factory" in Mytholmroyd reveled not a single time-served rusterer in sight. It seemed like all they were doing was assembling components from suppliers in damp sheds elsewhere. Any old brown stain gets called rust these days.

Oh.

Pitydevil

Might as well buy a bigger, cheaper, more useful imported lathe and a nice holiday with the change.

16/11/2022 22:16:00
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 16/11/2022 20:38:37:

... but do they come with a rusty bed option?

Don't ask such a question. It will probably only lead to lots of speculation!

But it will be special Myford rust, carefully developed in a traditional damp shed, and applied by timeserved rusterers to provide the very best coverage and artistic merit.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate