By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for pgk pgk

Here is a list of all the postings pgk pgk has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Frustrated
30/12/2014 23:01:37

The lights are on a seperate circuit..in fact my shed has two seperate 13A circuits and 2 lighting circuits( we went OTT) and it was the main breaker to the panel that tripped. I doubt that'd be inductive load to the coolant pump. it's either a pump fault or looking at the thing I wonder if there's eough clearance between the contact bolts and the metal cover.. which might benefit from an insulated lining.

It's tme to stop messing and just ring them on the 2nd <sigh>

30/12/2014 21:17:33

None of the accessible interlock switches (brake, gear cover, emergency stop) have any SQ-type labels.

I disconnected the power wires to the pump and wrapped in insulation this am and operating the pump switch now does nothing (or trip anything).

Yes it is brand new..just installed so the thought of taking it all down for a return to shop is pretty daunting. Chester should be back at work 2nd Jan and obviouslyy i'll call them. I would be quite happy to drive back and be shown in person how to bypass each item....

It was the main RCD for the shed units that tripped, not just the one 13amp circuit but not the internal trips on the lathe.

Without a way of measuring across the interlocks I'm stuck - even if I thought I knew what i was doing.

If it comes to it local sparks may well be a person to call..he does commercial and farm machinery stuff as well as domestic and solar panels etc. Only real problem with most local trades is actually getting the beggars to turn up unless you have a hand on their collars.He's 2 mths late for the last job he was supposed to do for me!

30/12/2014 19:52:29

Sorry, I shou;d have said clicked and clicked closed on activating guards and covers.

Agree no point diving in without understanding it..and that's where I'm struggling. And yes, it was a pure assumption that the 24v would be DC.

I remembered I have the software on this other PC and figured out how to upload pics...

30/12/2014 19:08:50

I'll try and answer all the questions - with thanks for taking an interest folks:

Single phase 230v. I had looked at the grizzle pics before.. only a passing resemblance to mine.

The switch access to the forward/reverse lever on the grizzle site seems to be a simple cover at the end of the bar..not so here. I'm loath to undo that area here.

The brake cutoutswitch seems to be working (as in clicks) and did have a chinese fag butt stuck in it when the lathe arrived.

I don't have a functional voltage tester apart from my mains voltage detector thingy. And, no it can't pick up on the 24v to the on light which I guess is DC anyway. About the only way would be to find a 24v lorry bulb or cobble up a bunch of 2v led's in series with a resistor (if I can find where I put those last).

I have taken pics but my phone demands software to link to the PC to upload and with the bog-slow connection here in the sticks it says another hour+ to download to hobbyshed pc

All the interlocks/switches do click when fiddled with.

Thread: Help on key for 4-jaw chuck needed
30/12/2014 16:44:49

Can't you just find a 7mm square drive screwdriver type bit and a cheap holder? Or perhaps some 5/16th square tool steel and grind it down a whisker and fit it into a handle?

I'm new at this so ignore stupid ideas

Thread: Frustrated
30/12/2014 16:34:14

So having battled the thing into the shed, cleaned it, got it on the stands on high tensile bolts for adjustment, levelled it patiently within the scope of quality ordinary levels - it won't run.

Now either Im doign soemthign stupid - which is entirely possible - or I have a fault that isn't easy to trace.

This is a chester crusader delux with all the add-ons. I did wire in the coolant pump last night and when I couldnt get the chuck to run I switched that on just to see... whereupon the shed consumer unit prompty tripped.

For the moment I've disconnected that and checked that my wiring was to the right colour codes and sheathed the ends in insulating tape.

As I see it the lathe has a safety cutout on the end belt guard. A cutout on the chuck guard. And a cutout built into the emergency switch. So assuming I have it right the order of operation is check the guards are in use, Power on at mains.. when a white power light on the panel comes on. rotate the emergency switch so it pops out and then the thing should run assuming speed and gear selections are meshed when the red handled lever goes from neutral to forward or reverse spindle? There's also a jogging button that doesn't work.

I have pulled the panel off the electrical board at the back.. and then stared in dismay at the neat mass or wires in there. there are two trip switches..one double and one single neither of which had tripped. With the thing under power I've run a simple tester that picks up voltage in wires (the sort of thing used for checking walls) and there is no pwer going to motor or through either end guard switch or chuck guard switch. I'm loath to pull all the levers and uttons off the front to access the ack of those switches without having called chester first - and of course they're closed over xmas.

Hopefully (long shot) I'm missing something obvious??. I do get power to the lamp and DRO and obviously that coolant pump.

my best guess since neither main lever nor jog work is that it's the emergency switch or it's wiring. Does that make sense?

Thread: What did you do today? (2014)
27/12/2014 13:33:35
Posted by Bazyle on 27/12/2014 10:42:50:

Put a cork from the Christmas festivities in the back end of the spindle to stop swarf walking down and dripping into the cover unless it projects outside.

38mm bore...I do like a drink but that's a large cork! (it does protrude quite a way and has and external swing plate)

Thread: Circular Dovetail [Microscope fixings]
27/12/2014 10:08:56

How about making a set of moulds?

When I was into using/buying microscopes (and fixing staff damage) I used Brunel Microscopes and they are very helpful - may well be able to give you a list of ancient and modern variables.

pgk

27/12/2014 09:59:42

Chester kindly gave me 5L extra for the gearboxes but that'll soon go if one follows the suggestion of running in and oil change. Around here tractor hydraulic oil is easily avaiable in huge drums - easy to source.

I'll grab some way oil in due course. I happen to have some chain oil and masses of general lithium grease to help keep rust off agri machinery - oily rags are standard.

BTW, I have done a few mods to my machine that really make using it a true joy.

John, please share... although at the mo it's just a case of slowly plodding through the basic learning curve. I did plaigerise your suggestion of sticking the cabinets on bolts but levelling with them is a tedious mare one won't want to repeat often. Age isn't conducive to bending...

It;s all going to be slow with having to run around after Mum too and the seasonal influx of visitors.

pgk

27/12/2014 08:24:07

I finally got the lathe up on it's cabinet stand yesterday with the help of a friend. Christmas and visitors delayed things and then my aged Mother dislocated her hip on Christmas day and that;s added to general chaos. It was relocated yesterday but the nearest hospital is 50 mins drive away so you can guess that we were returning home in last night's blizzard. The last stretch on these rural byways was a fun excercise in drifting - I would have taken the 4x4 if it had looked at all dodgy on the outbound.

So it's cleaning off the packing grease and more levelling next and topping up the oil levels etc.

Any views on the best lube for the change gears on a Crusader? Is there a good dry lube to save cr@p sticking?

22/12/2014 21:29:22

I was pleased to find Chester Tools were still open this morning. they offered to courier the replcament cabinet for tomorrow but I elected to pop up and swap it to bypass delivery errors and save me parcellig the old one.

Kudos that they spontaneously gave me a few useful items for my trouble - how a business should be run. Cockups are a fact of life - it's how they get sorted that counts.

pgk

22/12/2014 21:08:37

Short length tube, capped one end, drill & tap the wall and a large bolt with tommy bar through the head: nut in tube and crank...

21/12/2014 10:47:06

Even the best raid isn't protection against motherboard failures and my paranoia doesn't go with cloud storage fo anyhting important. The stuff that matters gets backed up off line at least two ways and for simplicity the less important stuff gets passed over the home network and copied to another pc drive and usb drive. Of course nothing is totally secure - it's just a matter of picking the level of risk. Even the best vault comes with just a minimum security time to break in.

As to mad women.. I rebelled after the last ultimatum to retile the utility room floor in no more than 3 days. After I lifted the mess that was there and discovered a section with bare earth under cork tiles over ply.. dug it out and mixed 27 wheelbarrows of concrete by hand, screeded the whole room solo, used heaters and dehumidifiers, broke all the rules and it still took me 4 days before the grout was done. No, no more. I'm not Scotty on the Enterprise - you can't fix everything just before the Klingons start shooting. No, those days have gone. I'm not climbing onto the conservatory roof at 3.30am in ice and frost to look for another nail or two i might have dropped up there 'cos i haven;t got enough for the wall batterns and the shops are closed....

20/12/2014 12:20:59
Posted by Bogstandard2 on 20/12/2014 11:33:17:

PGK,

Mine is mounted on 16mm setbolts about 75mm long, with the bolt heads resting on the floor.

John

Cheers.

pgk

20/12/2014 10:44:23
Posted by Bazyle on 20/12/2014 10:31:58:

There can't be any insurmountable reason why you have to fit the cabinet facing the back anyway. If you mount the lathe on the existing cabinet or a pile of bricks you can lift just the tailstock end with a hi-lift as it only needs to go up 1/8 inch to swap cabinets.

I'm sure that's possible but a lot of fiddling relevelling etc just for the sake of a short wait. But thaks for the idea

20/12/2014 10:40:54

There is always a way.

Indeed! I did consider options like levelling feet (silly prices I saw for heavy duty unless you make your own). 'Oxtools' on youtube did show some nice DIY skates for lathe moving and a DIY toejack

My shed was only built 2.5 years ago with laser levelled baseworks so the floor is pretty good - although my weight can bow the cabinet sides.

I planned to level the cabinet/suds tray then the shim the lump level on top of that...

pgk

20/12/2014 05:51:40

John,

My right hand stand has no back (or front) venting and no pump supplied. While I don't see it's something I'd use much if at all it's what was in the package I paid for and needs sorting. I plan on locating 2 feet from the wall for access and cleaning room and because my shed has UPVC double glazing. Also a side lift would be difficult with just an engine crane with the foot brake in the way unless i fitted a bock and tackle to the rafters?

George

Re pics. Was planning on some when all fitted and tidy. It's easy to snap a few pics with a mobile phone but since this is a dead zone I haven't charged or used mine in 4 months. (my wife went to see gorillas in uganda a few years ago and got clear signals in the jungle and mountains!)

Thread: Hiding in plain sight
19/12/2014 20:42:42

One person in a big car produces more CO2 than flying...

Depends how many people in the aeroplane <g> I used to have a PPL and an hour or two tooling around the sky got through some galleons of juice...

My car is 20yrs old.. so environmentally sound compared to folk who chop their's in every few years. I keep it mostly 'cos I fit in it and not many cars I can wind myself into at my height....

19/12/2014 20:37:35

Bum! I think I got sent the wrong rt hand cabinet stand.. from the accessory drawings it looks like it should be a vented variant with the coolant pump in there.. and there's no coolant pump elsewhere. I'm guessing they'll be closed for the next two weeks too - not that I'm short of other jobs that need doing and it'd be daft to do the scary lift onto the suds-tray just to have to lift off again for a stand change. Which means the hobby shed is going to be clogged up with stuff for the next while and pretty unusable.

It's an outside chance they'd be open monday and return/collect the part.

Oh, well.. I can always practice grinding tools.

19/12/2014 15:23:05

Stage 4 was putting the 2T engine crane together. It's only a 10 minute job to look at...so how come it took nearly 4 hours <sigh>. Not helped by needing 22mm sockets/spanners when my standard kits top out at 19mm.. And the Limited tractor tooling I have starts with a 24in adjustable and a 3 foot breaker bar 1" socket kit. It was better once i remembered the stilsons.

Stage 5 was getting the lathe onto it;s stands. I think I;m at 5.2.4 <double sigh>. The lathe is/was on timber skids on a pallet and I'd shoved the whole lot into the shed 'cos it was raining whe delivered. The crane legs didn't spread round the pallet so the lathe and skids had to come off with brute force and a wrecking bar lever - slowly pried off onto timbers and then swapping them to lower it and pulling the last set out. I think if i cut out the front skid cross member which has no function now i can get the crane legs round it to the CofG without moving everything in the shed to go from the other side. But my back hurts and I need a cuppa...But with the packing crate off and moveable contents shifted there's not more than 450Kg to shift...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate