By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Neil Fazakerley

Here is a list of all the postings Neil Fazakerley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cleaning with Parafin?
13/10/2018 17:41:00

Paraffin and kerosene are the exact same thing. Paraffin is what it's generally called in the UK and kerosene is what it's called in the US.

By the way, WD40 is basically just odourless white spirit, with some aromatics and a small amount of very light oil added. I've seen the formula in the past on one of the safety regulators' websites - the formula is required for medical staff in case someone swallows a pint or two.

White spirit is again a UK name. Can't remember what 'white spirit' is called in the US - it's something like 'mineral spirits'.

13/10/2018 10:27:19

Late to this thread, but I've used parafin for many years with my vintage bike projects. However, I mix it 3:1 with motor oil. I fill one of those 600ml gardeners' spray bottles - available empty at garden centres for spraying insecticides. Put the 450ml of Parafin in first so the oil doesn't clog up the spray riser pipe, then top up with oil and give it good shake. Almost any light/medium oil will do - even used oil if it isn't too dirty. The nozzle can be adjusted to give a wide spray or a tight jet, as required.

Each time I buy an old wreck to tinker with (all I can afford) I spray-soak it all over with this mix and let it soak well in to all the cracks and crevices as well as spraying underneath.

I've found that a bike under a waterproof cover will last outside all winter without a hint of fresh rust once it's had this treatment applied, despite being surrounded by damp air. (Don't use one of those blue woven plastic 'tarps' though. They're not waterproof at all - they let water run through wherever the cover touches the object underneath.) Later, when it's spring cleaning time, the junk has all softened nicely and just wipes off with a hint of WD40.

The only problem is, I find Parafin almost impossible to obtain these days. Anyone know any good bulk sources?

It's good advice to wear gloves too when working with oils and solvents. I use black nitrile powder-free gloves that come in a box of 100 and go by the brand name of 'Bold', made by Aurelia and available from many sellers on eBay. Medium size suits me but I have relatively small hands. They're better being a little tight than slack. Nitrile gloves are the only type that resist oils and solvents, so avoid latex gloves. If you're working with petrol, wear two pairs and as soon as one of the outer gloves splits/tears replace the outer pair with fresh ones. Petrol is a known lymphoma-inducing substance (ask me how I know).

Neil.

Thread: Rust Removal
03/05/2017 17:56:47
Posted by Vic on 17/04/2017 23:33:33:

I've used Electrolysis for cleaning rusty stuff quite a few times now. It works great and doesn't etch the surface like citric or other acids do.

Apparently tea makes a good electrolyte for rust removal. Takes a long time though.

Same advice as my post abovesmile p

03/05/2017 17:43:43
Posted by Martin Faulkner on 18/04/2017 22:46:37:
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 18/04/2017 09:56:01:

I use hot diluted phosphoric acid and that works well too.

Andrew.

Not heard of that one, does it require scrubbing after the hot acid process and does it react or eat away at the good steel?

I believe phosphoric acid is actually one of the ingredients of Coke. Maybe you could soak parts in hot Coke?smiley

Just don't drink it afterwards.smile p

Thread: Centec 2B power feed
01/05/2017 16:31:21
Posted by David Pye on 26/04/2017 16:00:19:

... The previous owner had a 220v inverter wired to what appears to be the original table motor which is 3phase 400/440v. Any comments on driving a 400v motor from a 220v inverter?

Old star wound 440v motors will usually work okay from a 220v inverter, but at about half their normal power. E.g. a 1/2hp motor will effectively become a 1/4hp one. I use an old high speed bench drill this way and it's fine on smaller drills (which is all I use it for).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate