By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for thaiguzzi

Here is a list of all the postings thaiguzzi has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
02/07/2019 04:53:08

Thanx for the suggestions, yes i could make one, yes the Vertex is expensive and both the above are suitable.

However,

i like that Alpha original purely because it is classic Brit tooling and i'm into that sort of stuff.

Another would be a genuine between centres crank aligner like HD used or a larger J&S bench centres.

01/07/2019 03:42:12
Posted by thaiguzzi on 16/05/2019 04:43:28:
Posted by Windy on 01/12/2018 12:03:21:
Posted by thaiguzzi

Very nice.

I presume alignment is on the top portion with the knife edges, and the balancing done below on the 2 pairs of brgs?

Many years ago, we did static balancing on our knife edges too.

Bob R - lovely work on the pre unit single.

The bearings are mainly for aligning the pressed up crankshaft similar to a Alpha-Tru aligner the straight edges for balancing.

alpha tru

Bump.

If anybody sees or hears of one of these for sale, please pm me.

Mucho appreciated.

Bump.

Another month, another bump.

Anyone?

Thread: What method do you use to find center height for your lathe bit?
30/06/2019 08:59:30

And this is what a shear tool does on a shaper;

june - nov 2014 085.jpg

28/06/2019 05:55:59

All Heavyweight Stainless Steel.

Edited By thaiguzzi on 28/06/2019 05:57:00

Thread: What to do,what to do.
28/06/2019 05:42:32

4 jaw SC chuck - i'm with the majority on this one - can't see the point.

Thread: HSS Tool Bit Size
27/06/2019 04:32:47

On my Boxford ('Mercan 9 x22" i like bigger is better (and cooler). Minimum 3/8", preferably 1/2" sq HSS.

Pain in the ar#e grinding the initial shape, but once there it's only ever a quick touch up or hone.

And i don't get on with the no name Chinesium stuff - better NOS - S/H Brit/Euro/US brand names.

Thread: Using a pillar drill for milling?
23/06/2019 14:58:29

Two words.

Just don't.

Thread: Easy Button Die Storage Solution
22/06/2019 08:29:54
Posted by RMA on 20/06/2019 10:16:25:

Too critical on here, it obviously works and he is sharing ideas......that's what a forum is about. I have made something similar but I used thick MDF fitted into a plywood case. It houses taps; dies, and tapping drill and it's easy to find what I'm looking for, essential these days when I seem to spend half my time looking for the tool I've just used!!

Never had any problems, but my workshop is indoors. Other cases I have made in a similar fashion house squares etc.but I lined those withe green base with a little oil on.

Concur, i think they call it a tough crowd....

Thread: What are you using for Lathe Way Oil?
02/06/2019 15:03:48

ISO 68 hydraulic oil from auto factors, designed for tractor rear axles and gearboxes.

6 quid for 5 litres.

Thread: "The Unique"
31/05/2019 05:59:44
Posted by Hopper on 31/05/2019 01:29:37:

Harley-Davidson sold a similar - but even cruder - tool for truing up flywheel crankshaft assemblies in vintage days. Countless thousands of cranks must have been set up within the specified total runout of .001" or less using them, so they must work better than they look.

crank truing 1.jpg

Used in a truing stand with the small right-angle tang rubbing on the crank mainshaft, so the long end of the pointer amplifies the movement to a readable level. Crude but effective!

crank truing 2.jpg

The Unique looks downright sophisticated by comparison. I also vaguely remember seeing gauges like the Unique with with a small finger like a DTI sticking out the end rather than the button, and the body was made of brass with fine graduations on it. Can't remember where though. Some machine shop in a previous millenium!

Edited By Hopper on 31/05/2019 01:34:58

Hi Hopper,

i thought most of those HD type truing stands just used centres, but in that pic of yours above, it has small rollers or bearings adjacent.

What gives?

Thread: Boxford AUD needing a new Motor
30/05/2019 05:01:04

Double check rpm on the original motor.

A/B/C's prolly a common number, but the VSL's ran an unusual 960 rpm motor.

Thread: Do you wear a mask grinding HSS tool bits?
29/05/2019 11:02:56
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 28/05/2019 15:13:00:
Posted by thaiguzzi on 28/05/2019 11:07:57:

??

What bit don't you understand and I'll try and explain?

Andrew

Fine if you have carbide milling cutters - i don't. All my milling cutters are HSS.

A linisher with an Al/Ox belt as i said earlier will do the job faster and cheaper than a mill & having to buy carbide.

Getting to the exact stuff, once finished, use the T&CG.

28/05/2019 11:07:57
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 28/05/2019 10:22:59:

If you've got a lot of metal to remove from a HSS blank it's quicker and easier to mill it first, then use the grinder to touch up and add the relief angles.

Andrew

??

I'll stick to my Al/Ox belt linisher for roughing out 5/8 and 3/4" sq HSS blanks thank you...

Re the OP, no.

Thread: Omnimill 00
27/05/2019 14:40:34

Lovely machines, always liked them.

Nice resto, kudos.

Only thing that put me off them is the lack of fine feed on the quill.

Regards, happy M1 Senior owner with the quill feed vertical head.

Edited By thaiguzzi on 27/05/2019 14:40:56

Thread: stamford show vandals
21/05/2019 03:26:27
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 20/05/2019 15:09:12:

Thaiguzzi. De-forrestation, Palm oil plantations ....... its all vandalism.

BobH

Er, thats governments, corporations and corruption. In SE Asia.

I was talking about vandalism in Britain.

Like for example, when i lived there, my 10 y/o non descript 1500 quid Merc parked outside my 2 bedroomed terraced house on the street had it's Star motif snapped off 3 times and keyed once. Meanwhile a newer 4 grand non descript Ford or Vauxhall was never touched.

Ditto my Moto Guzzi - keyed tank.

Why is their a class thing that exists in the UK that likes to damage stuff that they "presume" belongs to somebody posher?

Ditto, outdoor keep fit stuff for adults, playground stuff for kids, if it's not nailed down it's nicked, if it is nailed down, it's vandalized.

This stuff does not happen in Europe.

By the way i drove that beloved manual Merc in my oily greasy overalls to & fro from work.

20/05/2019 14:47:02

I have travelled the world and spent considerable time in most European countries excluding Skandinavia.

IMHO, wanton vandalism ie destruction of actual property rather than graffitti etc is pretty much a unique British thing.

I have not seen mindless violence/property destruction on a remotely similar scale anywhere in Western Europe.

Another British disease?

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
16/05/2019 04:43:28
Posted by Windy on 01/12/2018 12:03:21:
Posted by thaiguzzi

Very nice.

I presume alignment is on the top portion with the knife edges, and the balancing done below on the 2 pairs of brgs?

Many years ago, we did static balancing on our knife edges too.

Bob R - lovely work on the pre unit single.

The bearings are mainly for aligning the pressed up crankshaft similar to a Alpha-Tru aligner the straight edges for balancing.

alpha tru

Bump.

If anybody sees or hears of one of these for sale, please pm me.

Mucho appreciated.

16/05/2019 04:41:14
Posted by Windy on 15/05/2019 16:46:50:

Had a very interesting time over the last few days there was a 3 day speed meeting at Elvington.

Saturday I did not go but told Andy and Helen who were camped out if any competitor broke down and if I could help I would.

Had a phone call from Mick his wife is the fastest women motorcyclist in this country 264 mph a friend was having problems with his new creation a drag racing machine.

A drive bearing had moved and looked like the chain had worn a groove in its OD 50mm bore x 80 od.

I made a spacer fortunately I had some steel of that size while doing that Will the rider and his girl friend who had just flown in from California for a few days removed the damaged bearing.

Sunday on this machines second outing did around 140mph then Monday upped it to 151 mph his fastest yet.

There were some handling problems mainly when reduced acceleration and the large drag racing tyre caused gyroscopic effects if machine is not vertical on setting off.

All the controls brakes, clutch and gear change are operated from the handlebars they are what is used on disabled riders motorcycles.

A simple repair meant his 3 days was not aborted.

Guy Martin was also testing his motorcycle on Sunday it looked like his Pikes Peak machine.

A litttle repair

All hand controls

my repair

Guy Martin

Like button pressed.

Thread: Vanco linisher
14/05/2019 05:37:43

I have a Creusen linisher, ie not cheap and very well made. I had a large stock of brand name belts purchased when i moved out here to TH in 2003. 10-12 years later all of them had the same problem you describe.

No matter what i tried, stapling, superglue, hot glue under a press, nothing worked.

So i have a lot of stock of thick backed al/ox strips for hand held use.

Purchased a new batch last year, and hey presto, perfect belts, perfect linishing.

Buy new.

Thread: WHERE ARE THE SHAPER USERS ?
13/05/2019 14:53:29
Posted by Steve King 5 on 05/05/2019 11:32:15:

Thanks lads some good advice for me as a beginner to follow. I'll keep you all updated on my progress and as I take on more challenging projects. Once iv become I little more confident and my skills improve I'll be making tool holder for my QCTP. Iv got a big old lump of cast iron to practice on. Oh I need to grind up a shear tool for finishing cuts. If any one can post some pictures of the shear tools you are using that would be great.

Thanks

Steve

Edited By Steve King 5 on 05/05/2019 11:33:36

june - nov 2014 085.jpg

Bit late to the playroom,

my shear tools are as shown in the American books and google images, with a curved face. Will try and get a pic up.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate