By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank

Here is a list of all the postings Frank has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Bulk buy Nuts and Bolts
28/06/2013 11:38:40

I'm looking to purchase a bulk supply of nuts and bolts in a few different sizes and in brass and steel - anyone recommend a good place?

The ones I've seen so far have been in small quantities (10's 20's etc)

I need to stock up!

Thanks

Thread: Chronos?
24/06/2013 16:40:04

Conclusion to my Saga...

After repeated attempts to get Chronos to give me a date for the final item on my order, they have now come back and said that it wasn't going to be this week. I've cancelled the item and asked for a refund.

On the other hand, RDG sent a text giving me a delivery slot of one hour, and the complete order duly arrived within that time.

No axe to grind - this was my experience being a first time shopper with both companies.

21/06/2013 13:03:52

Now here's a strange thing.

Based on the comments above, I've just placed an order with RDG Tools. The order reference is exactly the same format as the Chronos one. Only the last few digits are different.

Are the two companies connected?

21/06/2013 11:50:12

Still no contact from them, however they have refunded my out of stock item.

I take the point that with the increase in On-line shopping most Suppliers have upped their game and get deliveries out in 2 - 3 days and that has now become the norm. I know not all Suppliers are up to that and perhaps these are the ones who will fall by the wayside as Customers go to more responsive Suppliers. Chronos were not this slow in taking my money.

As a new customer I'm not overly impressed and will definately be trying other Suppliers.

20/06/2013 11:49:15

Placed my first order with Chronos on 10th, had delivery of some of it on 19th. One item now out of stock and they have promised a refund (yet to check that it has actually happend), other item 'to follow'. I've asked when it will be delivered but no reply.

Not an overly impressive service....or is this normal for them?

Thread: Cleaning with Parafin?
14/06/2013 19:39:48
My new mini lathe should be here tomorrow. All the U.S. Sites say to clean the new lathe with kerosene (parafin to us). Is this ok or is there something better? Thanks
Thread: Wood's Metal/Cerrobend suppliers?
06/06/2013 20:46:39

Hi,I'm looking for a UK supplier of Cerrobend. Anyone know of anywhere? Thanks

Thread: Night Classes?
27/05/2013 14:30:05

Been Googling for Night Classes in Worcestershire/Gloucestershire and surprised that there aren't any. Is this the case generally around the country? I would like to learn basic lathe work, but other than Axminster, can't see anyone else providing instruction.

Thread: Buying descision
22/05/2013 16:11:43

Reached a cross roads in my Budget planning for my new workshop.

Given that I've got £1,000 to spend on machinery, I'm undecided between buying a lathe and milling machine or spend the lot just on a lathe?

Bearing in mind that I'm a complete beginner and that I want to have a go at small engines/models, I assumed that buying a lathe and mill would be the way to go.

However, based on User recommendations, I do like the look of the Sieg C4 lathe (which blows the budget on its own). I would like the lathe to have powered feeds, which I'm not sure the Chester Conquest lathe has got.

Opinions/advice please?

Thread: Complete beginner checking in and asking the usual question!
20/05/2013 20:48:44

Its interesting to see that there are about five or six imported lathes that look identical to each other (apart from the stickers), but vary quite widely in price. Do they really come out of the same factory I wonder? Looked on the Bay for used lathes and they seem within my price bracket, however finding a 'good 'un' would probably be beyond me. Also they look quite large?

20/05/2013 10:59:18
Posted by Harold Hall 1 on 20/05/2013 10:25:57:

Welcome Frank

I am not going to recommend a lathe, will leave that to those who have more experience in what is available these days.

However, you do not mention a milling machine but are obviously considering making a small steam engine .

You may therefore find the following web site interesting as it shows in considerable detail the processes for making a small steam engine using just a very small lathe and small drilling machine.

**LINK**

Harold

Harold,

Thanks for the link to your site - just the sort of information I need. Do you have it as a download so I can print it out and read at leisure (rather than here at work!)

20/05/2013 10:46:11

Thank you for the welcome and replies.

I have never worked on a metal lathe, and I guess like every beginner I don't want to jump in and buy the 'wrong' lathe. The mini lathe market - like every other tool market - seems to be dominated by the Chinese and my experience has been that they are not all cheap tat, but its just finding recommendations for which particular factory in Shangdong to look out for!

I have read a few articles about buying older second-hand lathes, but when you are as raw as I am, then it could be a costly road to go down, and instead of ending up with a nice usable machine I end up with a money-pit!

I have fixed the profile bit about my location.

Thanks everyone.

19/05/2013 18:36:43

Hi Guys, just joined the forum as I'm looking to get as much information (and help) I can. I have no hands-on engineering experience ( I'm an accountant by trade), though I've worked in industry - particularly Metal-bashing companies - all my working life. I've always been interested in Model Engineering and have looked in awe at the detailed steam models made by others. I'm now looking at preparing for retirement and have decided to set up a small workshop and have a go for myself. I've started drawing up a budget and could do with advice which lathe to go for. Funds have been limited by She, so I'm looking to spend under £1,000. As I said, I'm interested in small model steam and besides, do not have a lot of space. I know its the usual noobie question - "which lathe is best" but I would appreciate the thoughts of the more experienced. Thanks

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate