By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Grizzly bear

Here is a list of all the postings Grizzly bear has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spare parts.
03/07/2020 18:50:46

You could try: **LINK**

Some Hoover machines are badged "Candy".

No connection to the above brands.

Good luck, Bear..

Thread: TOOLS EXPLAINED BY A DO-IT-YOUR SELFER
02/07/2020 18:30:01

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

It was sent to me with some other jokes.

Reading it ,I had tears running down my face.

It was too good not to share.

Bear..

28/06/2020 17:16:03
  • Saturday American TOOLS EXPLAINED BY A DO-IT-YOUR SELFER

DRILL PRESS:
    A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings objects across the room, denting the freshly-painted vertical stabilizer which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL:
    Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench at the speed of light. Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh shit'

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL:
    Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age.

SKILL SAW:
    A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS:
    Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER:
    An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW:
    One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS:
    Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH:
    Used almost entirely for setting alight various flammable objects in your workshop. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW:
    A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK:
    Used for lowering a vehicle to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW:
    A large stationary power saw primarily used in most workshops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the dustbin after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST:
    A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER:
    Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil filters and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER:
    A tool for opening paint cans. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws.

PRY BAR:
    A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 pence part.

HOSE CUTTER:
    A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER:
    Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent to the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE:
    Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as leather seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only whilst wearing them.

DAMMIT TOOL:

Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'DAMMIT' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Does this ring true with anyone?

Thread: Cross drill attachment - Super 7
20/06/2020 19:11:09

Very nice, that's a neat job. Does the drill motor run on 12v dc?

Lovely looking lathe.

Can you remove that chuck key before someone sees it.(I didn't see it ).

Bear..

Thread: Generating force to cap beer bottle
12/06/2020 22:21:27

How about a small hydraulic press?

Bear..

Thread: Newbie trying to thread
05/06/2020 18:55:58

Congrats Mark,

You did a nice job on that thread.

I find thread cutting is one of the most satisfying jobs going.

Have a practice run on a piece of plastic. Plastic tubing etc..

Bear..

Thread: Macro-photography
25/05/2020 20:39:07

Roderick,

Looks like Ed & Neil have got it sorted.

Roger,

Thanks for the bee I.D

Bear..

25/05/2020 18:37:26

Roderick,

Cockchafer beetle adult.

The larvae live in the soil, eating your grass roots.https://www.bing.com/search?

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/other-garden-wildlife/insects-and-other-invertebrates/beetles-and-bugs/cockchafer/

25/05/2020 18:28:44

black bee 2020-05-25  .jpgThis is not a competitor. Just asking if anyone can put a name to it. Ruler in mm

. Attempted suicide in a bucket of water. It had a sting (Untested).

The bee was as black as a crow.

Thread: Unknown tool
17/05/2020 18:40:39

A mini enigma machine??

Bear..

Thread: Magnifying Glasses
14/05/2020 19:00:35

Did you know, good magnification can be achieved by looking through binoculars in reverse. (One eye of course).

Ideal for detecting shrapnel in the finger ends etc.

Bear..

Thread: Sort of a Straw Poll
12/05/2020 21:21:45

I'm 78 and not counting.

Good luck with your new equipment.

Bear...

Thread: Nylon sheet
29/04/2020 13:41:49

Kitchen cutting boards?

https://www.partwell.com/press-cutting-pads

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/cutting-boards/?

Good luck, Bear..

Thread: Carriage movement varies along the bed
28/04/2020 20:20:07

Cai, your ML7 condition may seem a mega problem.

What do you intend to make with your lathe?

My ML7 has exactly the same problem, in fact for the last 45 years. I've learnt to live with, it will still turn out good work. I'm not into model making. It's used for home maintenance and various hobbies like electronics, guns, gardens & welding.

Good luck,

Bear..

Thread: Central heating woes.
21/04/2020 18:36:58

If you haven't already done this, close the taps/valves on your cold radiator, then open them fully.

This is where a blockage will occur, if there is any debris in the system.

If that's successful, then you can adjust your taps/valves to suit your heat requirements.

Good luck,

Bear..

Thread: Help required to select correct replacement Relay
20/04/2020 18:29:55

Hi CT,

Thanks for your reply.

The transistor is good for 0.5 amps, it's only operating the relay coil.

If you have an automotive relay to hand, go for it.

Good luck,

Bear..

20/04/2020 18:20:11

Hi CT,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you got a automotive relay to hand?

Your transistor is good for 0.5 amps.

Simple, to me is what works for you.

Involving the French, to me, is not a simple option. (They don't like us).

If you've got a good relay, go for it!

Good luck,

Bear..

19/04/2020 18:34:48

Hi CT,

Thanks for the update.

Your duff relay probably has pitted contacts, causing it to malfunction.

Good thinking on the standard auto relay.

You will need to check if the relay coils are similar in value, do this with your ohmmeter.

Can you tell us what the numbers/letters are on the transistors, this will give us an idea of how much current they can switch.

Good luck,

Bear..

Thread: Shoe repair glue advice?
17/04/2020 16:28:10

Simon,

" So not sure how much wear and strain they get digging over the veg patch or chopping logs".

Try an axe for the logs, just saying, before Neil beats me to it.wink

Bear..

Thread: Help required to select correct replacement Relay
17/04/2020 16:12:37

Hi CT,

The resistors are easy to check, the colours will indicate the correct values.

Diodes, if you have a multimeter, one way high resistance, the other way low resistance, plenty of info on the 'net.

Capacitors not so easy, best to change them, the values are written on them.

What are the numbers/letters on the transistors? You could swap them over to prove good or bad.

Where are you situated, I have a stock of components, cost of postage only.

Bear..

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate