Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Router cutters, SHS not HSS

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
The Merry Miller29/10/2012 15:35:43
484 forum posts
97 photos

Afternoon all,

I have had come into my possession hundreds of router bits from the woodworking industry. They are all single flute cutters and are mostly marked "Interwood SHS".

They are mostly clapped out from a woodworking aspect and there are many different shank sizes ranging from .250"-.500" dia.

The cutting blades range from .062"-750" in dia. and the cutting lengths go up to 1.5".

Now I could possibly modify a vast number into acceptable boring bits or something else, suggestions would be very welcome, but before I do, I need to establish what grade of steel SHS is and whether it would be suitable for boring or other activities on the lathe.

I would appreciate some comments please.

P.S. I did adapt one several months ago and it did work very well as a bowl turning gouge on my woodturning lathe.

Len. P.

I

Grizzly bear29/10/2012 18:29:53
337 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Len, Sounds like a nice windfall, you could purchase a router, wonderful piece of kit.

From Google:

CNC Tooling - Regent Stone Products

www.regentstoneproducts.net/cnc-tooling/Cached
SHS - Super High Speed: Our newest line of profiling / polishing wheels featuring ... HEXO® CNC router bit system, manufactured by SUPERABRASIVE, is an ...

Regards Bear..

The Merry Miller29/10/2012 19:36:22
484 forum posts
97 photos

Grizzly,

I have several routers but as I said earlier most of the router cutters are clapped and I have numerous carbide faced cutters for proper woodwork.

I am contemplating building a woodworkers workshop in the garden where I can get stuck into my windsor chaimaking again, as it is at the moment woodworking is out because engineering takes priority. I can't even get to my carpenters bench through lack of space.

Len. P.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate