Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Randa A/B ? Lathe Parts I.D Questions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard S228/09/2023 17:20:33
237 forum posts
135 photos

Acquired a box of age encrusted Lathe parts yesterday, sadly no Bed/headstock.

Spent some time online last night and narrowed this search down to a possible B.S.W. RandA 'A' brand.

I believe a few Members on here are owners of a few examples who could possibly offer some verification. If so, I would be most grateful.

Rather than clog this Topic up with images of rusty parts, I placed 3 images in the 'Workshop' section of my Album of some of the parts.

My primary questions are-

Can it be confirmed that this brand/model of Lathe carries the casting marks of 3 numerals prefixed by the letter 'L'.

The original colours appear to be a very dark greenish black with red 'T' slots and feedscrew channels. This is similar to the pristine original condition example on lathes.co.uk.

The apron on mine carries a plate listing Change Wheel/Thread permutations and no examples in my searches appear to have this.

I'll then set to and carefully clean these up and check their condition. I'm in no doubt the expection of locating missing parts to make a complete Lathe is a 'No Hoper', so they maybe of benefit later to someone else.

Thanks in anticipation.

Nicholas Farr29/09/2023 07:52:12
3988 forum posts
1799 photos

Hi Richard, the tailstock and the cross-slide do look like they would fit the RandA lathe, and if the change wheels just have one hole in them for a driving pin, they too might fit. Not sure about the apron though, as the shape looks a little different. The style of these lathes were fairly generic, just like todays mini lathes, which included Grayson. Winfield, and a few others, and even Myford had a look-a-like, but most of the raw castings seem to have been made by Pools. My fathers RandA B lathe was a dark blueish green before I cleaned and repainted it.

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate