By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Railway Sunday lunch

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill Dawes06/09/2023 19:58:51
605 forum posts

Last weekend we finally had our Sunday lunch that our sons bought us as a Christmas present.

It was on the East Somerset steam railway and I have to say we were absolutely delighted. Food was excellent, piping hot and beautifully cooked and prepared.

As a Coeliac I of course require a gluten free food and this was admirably catered for.

Expensive but worth it as a special treat and of course supports our wonderful preservation raiilways.

East Somerset is a small line but a delightful railway with its GWR buildings, you can visit signal box, small museum and shop and engine sheds. Good cafe as well.

And of course the usual helpful friendly volunteers.

Bill D.

Nigel Graham 210/09/2023 23:41:34
3293 forum posts
112 photos

I recall visiting the East Somerset Railway some twenty or more years ago, with a family I know.

"Black Prince" (8F??) was standing cold, and with no apparent prohibition to visitors climbing on board - which we did. If anyone saw us they did not challenge us.

"How do you drive it, then?" my friend asked.

"Well, first by changing places. You're on the fireman's seat" , I replied.

Obviously we did not disturb any of the controls, but I pondered the "ergonomics" , a word probably unknown in Riddles' day and earlier.

From the driver's perch, two things were immediately obvious to me. The restricted view ahead, but the driving controls being all within my reach, with the ejector and brake-application handles about level with my ear. Even when standing though, I realised I could not have operated the manifold valves mainly the province of the fireman. Too high up for we of economy size, at least without being griddled by the back-head and closed fire-doors.

I did wonder how short men ever managed as Cleaners (a head for heights useful), never mind as Firemen, especially in decades past when people generally were shorter.

'

{For a few years I sometimes drove a Ruston-built, narrow-gauge, 4-wheeled diesel locomotive, but had to stand for much of the trip. If I sat on the side-facing tractor-seat bolted to the gearbox top, my eye-line was only just above the edge of the windscreen, and my own track horizon created by the bodywork was a good fifty yards ahead of the locomotive! }

Martin Johnson 112/09/2023 13:05:11
320 forum posts
1 photos

Riddles put a lot of effort into making controls easy to handle on the Standards. Whether the art had been christened "Ergonomics" by then, I don't know.

Martin

John Doe 215/09/2023 15:01:01
441 forum posts
29 photos

Thank you, Bill for the recommendation. I took my wife for a visit this week and we rode on the (Steam) train three times, as well as having sandwiches and cakes in the station restaurant. All the staff were good, and "old school" in terms of service and attention to customers.

One thing we should perhaps say is that the line is not all that long, unfortunately. A there and back trip only takes 32 mins, and that includes the engine disconnecting and reattaching for the return trip.

But a very nicely presented and well run facility. Plenty of free car parking etc. A very pleasant day out - even though it took us 2 and a half hour's drive each way to get there ! We have an afternoon tea booked for another day !

Bill Dawes15/09/2023 15:19:33
605 forum posts

Yes it is quite a short run although for the lunch it is stretched out to a couple of hours with two runs, the start of the second run was an opportunity to stretch legs and, on the hot day it was, a bit of cooler air.

Having a trip to the Norden - Swanage one next week.

As well as the larger West Somerset railway there is also the Avon Valley one, again a short length of track, it was the one I had a Driving experience birthday present on a few years back. It is alongside a Bath to Bristol cycle track and has an excellent cafe there.

Bill D.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate