Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Pillar Drill Part

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Will-CR04/09/2023 10:30:43
4 forum posts
6 photos

I've recently started the clean, stripping and re-painting of a nice Champion No.1 pillar drill. Nomenclature it's my strong point at this time but I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on what the part/material is shown in the photos. It seems like some sort of soft, red washer.

Thanks,

Will.

drill-1.jpg

drill-2.jpg

Oldiron04/09/2023 13:04:55
1193 forum posts
59 photos

Could be a polyurathane bump stop/ shock absorber depending on its position which is not very clear. Other than that no idea sorry

regards

Grindstone Cowboy04/09/2023 14:33:44
1160 forum posts
73 photos

+1 on the bump stop - I had a pillar drill with a black rubbery (neoprene?) washer in that position. Does it go up and down with the quill and not rotate? If so, most likely a bump stop, and if it is, the one you have looks like it would still do the job OK.

Rob

Edited for missing letters - must get new batteries in wireless keyboard

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 04/09/2023 14:34:37

Will-CR04/09/2023 17:44:14
4 forum posts
6 photos

Ah brilliant! Thank you both, that must be what it is. It does indeed move up and down with the quill but not rotate. I'll give it a clean and pop it back in once the new prime and paint job is done smiley

Will.

Steve Crow04/09/2023 18:53:49
429 forum posts
268 photos

Hello Will, I have a Champion No.1 which I'm about to refurbish (with a similar bump stop).

I have never seen one with an indexing depth dial like yours.

Is there any chance you could post a few more photos?

I feel another project coming on!

Cheers, Steve

Will-CR05/09/2023 09:48:43
4 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Steve,

Sounds interesting! Mine was a recent purchase so I can't claim the modifications were of my own doing. The seller said that it was Geo Thomas' and was modified by him. I didn't enquire further on that point so can't say for sure but the modifications seem to be very nicely done and finished. The drill is currently in pieces so I only have some 'before' pictures that I can share but if you'd like I can provide some more in depth part photos/dimensions at some point if you'd like.

My drill is missing a base plate so will need to fashion something for it but all the rest of the drill is there so I was very happy to get my hands on such a nice little machine.

drill-mod-1.jpg

drill-mod-2.jpg

drill-mod-3.jpg

drill-mod-4.jpg

Will.

Steve Crow05/09/2023 17:23:13
429 forum posts
268 photos

Thank you Will, That's a nice piece of kit. I like the vernier plate on the table.

It looks to me like you have a Champion No.1 headstock, a George Thomas table and a nicely home made table bracket (forgive the nomenclature).

Here are some equivalent photos of mine-

champ4.jpg

champ3.jpg

champ1.jpg

And a drawing-

champion1.jpg

Looking forward to seeing pictures once it has been painted etc.

Cheers, Steve

Edited By Steve Crow on 05/09/2023 17:23:38

Will-CR07/09/2023 09:20:24
4 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Steve,

Looks like you may well be right! It's a nice addition isn't it.

Nice little project you have for yourself there too. I especially like the drawing. Unfortunately my mechanical drawing skills aren't at that level, I'm more accustomed to digital software modelling, though I keep gradually drifting more analogue so maybe one day I'll be able to produce something similar.

My drill now has it's first top coat on so well on it's way, will post some more pictures once complete.

Will.

Pete13/09/2023 21:12:45
128 forum posts

If that pillar drill really was GHT's then it was a find for sure Will. And what's been modified or added to sure looks like the attention to detail and craftsmanship he would have done. Much of that is very similar to what he also used on his UPT design.

Bazyle13/09/2023 23:51:01
6956 forum posts
229 photos

That's a really nice drawing Steve. Illustrations like that would be nice in ME as they can capture the essentials often better than a photo.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate