Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

IT'S GOT NO GUTS ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
noel shelley18/08/2023 10:39:13
2308 forum posts
33 photos

It would not figure in the fine models class but the one that made me think long and hard was shown at I think Olimpia in the 90s ! It was an anniversary of the BHI I seem to think.

It was a clock that as the day went on showed the right time, I came back several times to check, but it only had 2 hands on a plain spindle. There was no visible mechanism to move the hands or keep them in step. I have my own ideas as to how it might have been done BUT does anyone remember this item or know how it worked ? Noel

Bazyle18/08/2023 10:55:45
6956 forum posts
229 photos

I remember that and I think there are pictures on the internet and some for sale. Possibly also plans for sale.

Two methods used. One is by balance using a watch mechanism in the hand and one using hands painted on a clear plastic disc that is rotated by a mechanism in the encircling frame.

Peter Cook 618/08/2023 11:13:10
462 forum posts
113 photos

Nice example of the latter form here

Robert-Houdin Triple Mystery Clock - Jacques Nève (horloger.net)

And a typical example of the former.

Lot - A Mysterious Circulator Mystery Clock by E. Dent & Co. Ltd., London otherwise known as the Chronological Equilibrium, c.1975, (martelmaidesauctions.com)

Edited By Peter Cook 6 on 18/08/2023 11:18:08

SillyOldDuffer18/08/2023 11:31:22
10668 forum posts
2415 photos

Not exactly a clock, but this video of Adam Savage looking at a fake Perpetual Motion machine at the Royal Society is interesting.

No I don't know how it works!
Dave

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate