Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Hand chasing threads

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Phil Stevenson13/07/2023 16:14:26
90 forum posts
13 photos

I'm currently (slowly) acquiring the skill of hand chasing threads in wood, specifically boxwood which is one of the very few timbers that will take a hand chased thread. I'm using 22tpi and the threads are typically for a wooden box so the diameter can be an inch or two so not a tap and die sort of thing. Apart from striking a good thread the skill also is in matching the male and female.

It's made me wonder whether you can hand chase a thread in any metal? Is this a thing?

Clive Brown 113/07/2023 16:22:44
1050 forum posts
56 photos

My understanding is that Brass Thread, which is standardised at 26 tpi, was intended for hand chasing in "olden times". This allowed production workers to readily produce items by learning only one hand feed rate for a variety of diameters.

Andrew Johnston13/07/2023 17:05:22
7061 forum posts
719 photos

It was normal to hand chase threads before thread systems started to be standardised in the mid 19th century. Once that happened it became practical to add a screwcutting capability to lathes. Also taps and dies started to become available in greater quanties, and better quality.

Andrew

Chris Crew14/07/2023 00:29:42
418 forum posts
15 photos

It is my understanding, or possible ignorance, that thread chasers are intended for finishing screw-cut threads in the lathe when a greater accuracy of thread form is required, i.e. rounding off crests left flat after screw-cutting. I have a box full of them acquired over the years but I have never actually done any thread chasing even though I did make a hand-rest to facilitate the operation.

Speedy Builder514/07/2023 06:54:40
2878 forum posts
248 photos

I too have a drawer full of hand chasers from about 8 tpi to 42 tpi. (mainly external but some internal). I have a more modern set from Tracy and have used the 26 and 32 extensively, mounted on the topside for screw cutting brass fittings. However I do find it difficult to prevent "dig ins" when holding them by hand for cleaning up a screw cut thread. Incidentally, the Tracy sets are single cutters from Coventry die heads, so pick a few ups next time you see them going cheap at boot sales.

Bob

Martin Johnson 114/07/2023 13:00:03
320 forum posts
1 photos

I believe hand chasing, particulerly on brass/bronze was once common. I have done it and produced useable parts. Bit like welding in that you need to be doing it regularly to "keep your hand in". I can believe it would be a very quick technique in it's day due to zero set up time.

Martin

Georgineer15/07/2023 23:21:33
652 forum posts
33 photos

My father told me that the brass turner only had one pair of chasers, so male anď female threads were all 26 tpi, and made to fit each other, which is why the shade rings on old lampholders aren't interchangeable. The brass thread diameters were later standardised for mass production, but (contrary to popular belief) have never been a "British Standard". Dad did his apprenticeship in the later 1920s. New Practical Metalworker was published after 1936, and the second paragraph of page 929 confirms that freehand thread turning was still practised.

George

npm p928-9.jpg

Speedy Builder517/07/2023 06:30:41
2878 forum posts
248 photos

Interesting video on (US) electrical fittings threads.

Electrical threads

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate