[email protected] messaging issue

I have been contacted but am unable to respond

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jake Middleton-Metcalfe16/02/2023 10:45:46
14 forum posts
15 photos

Hello I was wondering if anyone could advise me here

I am having an issue with the messaging system, I placed a wanted classified advert on this website and have received a very interesting response for something I want to buy. The problem is I received it straight to the email address I listed with the advert from the sender "[email protected]" which does not seem to be an address I can respond to, it just bounces back whenever I try to respond to this email, the message does not appear in my inbox on the model engineer website, only in my hotmail account so frustratingly I have received a message but have no way of finding out how to contact this person.

Probably just a mistake someone new to this website would make, which I am.

Best wishes

Jake

Martin Connelly16/02/2023 11:05:43
2549 forum posts
235 photos

When logged in check your inbox. Icon at the top of the page will flash if there is an unread item of mail.

Martin C

Jake Middleton-Metcalfe16/02/2023 11:17:03
14 forum posts
15 photos

Thats the problem, the message does not appear in my inbox on this website, only my hotmail account inbox, is that weird? I would have thought it would appear in both.

John Hinkley16/02/2023 11:56:36
1545 forum posts
484 photos

Jake,

Are you saying that there are NO messages in your forum inbox? If so, then that is strange. The message that you have received from "[email protected]" is automatically generated by the site's software and does exactly what it says and no more. It alerts you to a message in your forum inbox. You cannot reply to the alerts message.

Perhaps a moderator with sufficient access can sign in as you and verify the status of your inbox. Failing that, I would suggest that you contact Morton's helpline for assistance. They are said to be very helpful.

John

JasonB16/02/2023 12:10:27
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Quite common. The system generates the first paragraph of the reply which contains the respondant's e-mail address. The problem is some people delete this and then you get an e-mail like you have with no way of replying.

Suggest you edit the advert to ask anyone who has replied to do so again but not delete their details. To edit click "classifieds" on teh black bar and then just under that you will see "manage my adds"

The "alerts" is not letting you know their is a message it is sending an e-mail from a known name (Model Engineer) so the reply gets through spam and you are likely to open it rather than something from an unknown source.

JasonB16/02/2023 12:18:42
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

For future reference this is the text that is generated by the system and sent as an e-mail not a message. You can see I have blanked out my e-mail.so Jake could get back o me. It will appear in my inbox as from Model Engineer so I will trust it.

alerts.jpg

John Hinkley16/02/2023 12:39:22
1545 forum posts
484 photos

I apologise for posting incorrect information regarding the email you received, Jake. It was based on my experience with how the system appeared to me to work. I need to wind my neck in!

John

Jake Middleton-Metcalfe16/02/2023 12:50:17
14 forum posts
15 photos

Oh I get it now, the person who sent the message to me deleted the automatically generated text which contained their email address. It would be helpful if the message had also gone to my inbox on this site but oh well I will put a note on my advert about this.

Thanks all for the help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate