By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

SX2P Spindle Bearings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Peter McAtominey05/12/2022 11:33:10
4 forum posts

Has anyone replaced the spindle bearings in an SX2P mill, I was looking at installing angular contact bearings in place of the regular ball bearings.

JasonB05/12/2022 13:03:59
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

I think it is only possible on the MT3 spindle machines and not the R8. Have a look here on ARC's site and also follow th elink on how to replace them

Peter McAtominey05/12/2022 14:44:27
4 forum posts

I did look at those and noticed this in the replacement guide:

These are only suitable if you have an MT3 spindle. At the time of writing, ARC were working on a solution for the R8 spindle, which has a different size bearing at the bottom of the spindle.

I was wondering if it was due to difficulty sourcing the bearings or the cost.

Ketan Swali05/12/2022 15:17:20
1481 forum posts
149 photos
Posted by Peter McAtominey on 05/12/2022 14:44:27:

I did look at those and noticed this in the replacement guide:

These are only suitable if you have an MT3 spindle. At the time of writing, ARC were working on a solution for the R8 spindle, which has a different size bearing at the bottom of the spindle.

I was wondering if it was due to difficulty sourcing the bearings or the cost.

Difficulty in sourcing one of the Angular Contact bearing sizes in 2RS (2 rubber seals)form needed for the R8 Spindle.

If you are prepared to experiment on the R8 spindle, you could leave the top bearing on the R8 spindle to be 6206-ZZ or 6206-2RS, or change it to 7206B-2RS (currently out of stock - expected back in, in about a week), and find someone to supply you 7007B for the bottom bearing, noting that it will be open - as not 2RS. Then, incorporate a seal into part 102 Oil Cover (see Exploded Diagram & Parts List) link on this page. I have a spare seal. If you want to try it, call and speak with our Ian and he will send it to you.

Ketan at ARC.

Edited By Ketan Swali on 05/12/2022 15:21:10

Peter McAtominey05/12/2022 16:04:39
4 forum posts

Thanks Ketan, and Ian for the advice / offer.

I'm currently planning which improvements I want to make to the mill to get the most out of it.

I did find a sealed 7007B on SimplyBearings, it's not the cheapest at £60 before VAT but it is a good brand, RS seems to be selling the same form £171 bizarrely.

**LINK**

Ketan Swali05/12/2022 16:39:15
1481 forum posts
149 photos
Posted by Peter McAtominey on 05/12/2022 16:04:39:

Thanks Ketan, and Ian for the advice / offer.

I'm currently planning which improvements I want to make to the mill to get the most out of it.

I did find a sealed 7007B on SimplyBearings, it's not the cheapest at £60 before VAT but it is a good brand, RS seems to be selling the same form £171 bizarrely.

**LINK**

FAG 7007B -2RS is a great brand, but expensive. I would suggest that any benefits it has for the price will be lost on an SX2P. Usually such an offering is designed for use with spindles/or applications which run at much higher speed than the SX2P. However, did a quick search for the usual budget brands open variety and they aren’t too much cheaper.

It will be a while until we are able to make an offering - at a more reasonable price. So I guess at present the Simply Bearings FAG sealed version is likely to be the solution if you want a sealed bearing.

Ketan at ARC

Peter McAtominey05/12/2022 18:02:32
4 forum posts

Ordered the bottom bearing from here, was the cheapest I was able to find searching around.

I'll keep an eye out for the top bearing coming back in a stock and give it a go.

Ketan Swali05/12/2022 18:53:06
1481 forum posts
149 photos

Greatsmiley

Ketan at ARC

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate