Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Mini Bench drill

Katsu mini drill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Holton11/10/2022 13:57:47
40 forum posts

Has anybody here tried one of these bench drills ?

Most of my model work is on 4mm scale locos and rolling stock. I wanted a very small bench drill. So I set about searching to see what was available.

Obviously there are very expensive ones made for Jewellers and watch makers etc. I didn't want to pay hundreds of £s for one.

I eventually found the Katsu mini bench drill on the internet.

I then scoured the net for any reviews, and found a lot of favourable comments from people who had taken a chance and bought one.

That helped make up my mind. I went ahead and ordered one.

I still kept reading peoples comments while I waited. still good ones. It arrived last Friday just as we were about to go out for the day. So I still had to be patient.

When I finally opened the box . It looked good. A minimall amount of assembly was required and cleaned off the preserving oil , and it was ready to go.

I have to say I am impressed with it. It will take drill bits 0.6mm possibly smaller. I haven't tried. up to 6mm. It's easy to use . I can drill very small holes in mini linkages, I would have found next impossible to do any other way.

I am pretty chuffed with it. It might be cheap and cheerful, but I think it will last me as long as I need.

It cost me a couple of pence under £60. They usually go for around £80 so I am not complaining

Rob

Michael Gilligan11/10/2022 14:02:34
23121 forum posts
1360 photos

Good to see a happy buyer, Rob

Some of these smaller items tend to disappoint, but it looks like you got exactly what you need.

Thanks for sharing your findings yes

MichaelG.

Robert Holton11/10/2022 15:05:40
40 forum posts

As I said, once I had found one I liked the look of, I then set about finding out what users had to say about it. I have found on reading reviews etc that people are very scathing about obvious rubbish. So I was pleased to find the comments were very positive.

Rob

Clock polisher11/10/2022 16:00:15
36 forum posts
38 photos

Robert,

I have one of these drills. I also have nothing but praise for it.

I have even used it for light milling, as it does not have an extendable quill like most pillar drills. The fact that everything moves up and down makes it more than rigid enough for my needs.

It uses a "standard" sewing machine motor so if I break it, repairs won't be a problem.

regards,

David

John Beresford11/10/2022 17:22:12
25 forum posts
11 photos

After a long search for an accurate and solidly built small bench drill, I ordered one of these a couple of years ago. The belt that came with it was a glued together one and it didn't last 5 mins, but apart from that its great. You can get replacement o-ring type belts on Amazon. Its quiet, high enough speed to drill 0.5mm holes in brass and it goes up and down in a straight line so no broken drills. For the £60 I paid, you cant go wrong.

Robert Holton12/10/2022 16:05:08
40 forum posts

It's good to see that others here have bought one and are as pleased as I am.

Milling as well eh. That is interesting. I could make very small con rods and coupling rods for 4mm scale loco's. I have used it for 0.6mm holes in brass. I will try a 0.5 I have smaller ones. I'll probably need to use a pin chuck to hold those.

I have got a sewing machine motor I bought ages ago for another job. It is the same as the motor fitted..

Rob

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate