Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

First engine build.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rob Wheatley07/07/2022 22:33:41
52 forum posts
28 photos

Hi all

So I want to start making a model engine after getting the mancave set up.

Really want it to be an IC engine as it saves building a steam boiler too.

Though about getting a casting kit, either the Senior from EE or the Centaur from Reeves BUT I decided against it for a few reasons.

Firstly cost, the Centaur is £600 including the head and the Senior is £400

Secondly it only takes one mistake to ruin the casting and it then means ordering a new one, that could drive the cost even higher and the waiting time for the new casting to arrive.

So having been watching Andrew Whale and his series on it on YouTube for a while I have bought the Farm Boy drawings and placed an order for some bar stock.

I will use metric fixings throughout as I only have metric taps and dies, I will also have to convert the measurements to metric as far as I can as all my tooling is metric (and my brain too)

I will probably use pre made metric cam gears too unless I can get my head around making them (and get the cutters)

Doing a bar stock engine at least if I make a mistake it's just a block of metal to replace (I have ordered way more than I need)

As soon as I start I will post some progress pictures.

Now to study the plans 🙂

Roderick Jenkins07/07/2022 22:57:41
2376 forum posts
800 photos

Excellent choice. I enjoyed making mine. The Viton piston ring gives great compression: makes the engine a really easy starter.

Enjoy,

Ŕod

Edited By Roderick Jenkins on 07/07/2022 23:06:13

Hopper08/07/2022 01:49:36
7881 forum posts
397 photos

Looking forward to following your progress. Not familiar with the Farmboy but sounds intetesting. I looked into the Centaur with a view to making after a recent thread on here. But oh dear yes 600 Quid plus another hundred for shipping to Oz, and then it has a head casting that they say is defective , and does not include the gears etc. Too rich for my blood. I like the bar stock idea much better. Keep us posted.

Rob Wheatley08/07/2022 07:31:05
52 forum posts
28 photos

I believe that Andrew Whale is a member on here and I hope it's OK to post this link but here is the last in his series with his Farm Boy engine running.

https://youtu.be/oEAs7wVTyPI

He is currently making a V Twin from the same designer.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate