Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Steam tube & fittings size for Stuart S50 and similar

How to determine optimum feed tube size for small engines

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Beresford08/04/2022 23:42:14
25 forum posts
11 photos

So Ive just completed my first steam engine project, a Stuart S50 and in the process of looking at boilers, but how do you determine the optimum size of steam tube in relation to both an adequate supply of steam vs a good scale size? Is there a good book out there that goes into this sort of thing? Also anything that describes what correct steam fittings to use and what layout? Ive already determined that I will need a displacement lubricator and some sort of steam valve or regulator between the boiler and engine (globe valve?) but what sizes are appropriate for this size of engine? Sorry if its a daft question but Im a beginner with steam.

Hopper09/04/2022 00:43:39
7881 forum posts
397 photos

I've used 1/8" OD on small engines. Chuffs along ok at that. You might want to go up a size for more high performance or larger engines. Put the steam shut off valve right at the boiler and run it just cracked open to control speed. This "wire draws" the steam through the small opening and helps to keep it dry, or at least drier than otherwise. Also safer to not have lengthy pipework under boiler pressure while valve is closed.

John Beresford09/04/2022 01:48:44
25 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks Hopper, I’ll do that. I assume the lubricator then needs to go near the steam chest or does it not matter so much? I’m going to have a go at making both the lubricator and the steam valve rather than buy them.

JasonB09/04/2022 07:14:26
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

Stuarts have a chart with the pipe sizes for all their engines they give the 50 as 5/32" inlet and 3/16" outlet

John Beresford10/04/2022 14:03:24
25 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks for this Jason. Ive had a look but cant see it on their website. Can you tell me where I can find it?

c

JasonB10/04/2022 15:04:57
25215 forum posts
3105 photos
1 articles

In the paper catalogue, at least the one I have has it, not sure if the current one does

HOWARDT10/04/2022 15:50:08
1081 forum posts
39 photos

Have look at Keith Appleton's YouTube. He has just bought some pipe, 4mm OD for inlet, 5mm for exhaust. Note you can buy 10M lengths from plumbing suppliers much cheaper than small lengths if you intend to use it in the future,

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate