By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Hare Hydraulic Press, anyone?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Richard Harris 527/04/2021 16:58:46
114 forum posts

I don't know anyone who's used one of these, so was wondering if anyone one here may have came across one? Possibly ever used one?

I've never used a hydraulic press before but I would like to acquire one eventually.

A hydraulic forging press for hot work.

I have done a lot of forging over the past few years and the natural path is to get a machine to take some of the strain off your body. I enjoy swinging a hammer as much as anyone but for some of the grunt work on larger stock, a machine would be most welcome and open up my creative possibilities (and save a lot of time).

There are presses made in China, Anyang - these are well regarded and well made, used by many people. However, the romantic in me would always prefer something made in England and something that already has a history to it.

The "Hare" hydraulic presses seem to be very common on the used market and so I guess, not in demand so much (and Hare unfortunately went out of business recently, IIRC).

The issue is acquiring any knowledge as to their suitability in adapting for hot work.

Anyone on here happen to have used one or have any knowledge about them? It would be sincerely appreciated.

If this isn't an appropriate place to ask, I do apologise.

Many thanks,

Richard

Grindstone Cowboy27/04/2021 17:54:56
1160 forum posts
73 photos

I'm probably missing something here, but to me a hydraulic press is something that works slowly but with great force, whereas I imagine you want something more like a power hammer? Apologies if I'm wrong.

Rob

Richard Harris 527/04/2021 18:03:48
114 forum posts
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 27/04/2021 17:54:56:

I'm probably missing something here, but to me a hydraulic press is something that works slowly but with great force, whereas I imagine you want something more like a power hammer? Apologies if I'm wrong.

Rob

Thanks Rob.

You're not wrong! Many hydraulic presses are very slow - for example the workshop types where you pump them up by hand, very slowly squeezing the materials together. Great if you're press fitting something together, I guess.

The type I mean is motorized and for forging. They up/down movements are much quicker. So you can squeeze with significant force then move your materials, squeeze again etc.

There are a lot of different types of presses of course and there are motorized ones that are never intended to be quick.

Hydraulic presses are commonly used in forge welding damascus billets together, for example.

ega27/04/2021 18:42:57
2805 forum posts
219 photos

Presumably, hydroforming tubing, etc uses the same principle.

Martin Cargill27/04/2021 19:09:01
203 forum posts

I built a stamping machine( producing laminate samples) a couple of years ago. The heart of the machine was a 5T Hare Hydraulic press. What do you need to know?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Sarik
MERIDIENNE EXHIBITIONS LTD
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate